Towing & Hauling

rear view mirror extension recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear view mirror extension recommendation

hi folks,

i am going to tow a camping trailer for the first time soon.

i need to get some RV mirror extenders that dont ruin
my oem mirrors. i've seen some black units that seem to
slip on over the oem mirrors extending them.

what is a brand that you all have found worked well?

thanks in advance, jackc...

Old 09-15-2003, 02:29 PM
I've had two sets (one on my former Chevy) of the **** slide on mirrors. They have always been great for visibility, ease of use, and no damage to the original mirrors. The best place (and cheapest) to buy a set is Camping World (www.campingworld.com). If you plan to purchase stuff for your RV, that's the place to do it. They also have retail stores scattered around the US as well.

Old 09-16-2003, 08:06 AM
I bought the Ford ones that are made specifically for my F-150 at the dealership parts counter. They fit perfect and don't scratch. I tow a 27 footer and they have performed flawlessly every time.

The first set that I bought was from Camping World and were the type that had two large rubber bands go around the mirror body. Yes, they were the cheapest ones they sell and worth every penny that I paid for them. Ended up giving them away. I'm sure they sell much better quality ones but decided to get ones designed for my truck.

Good luck on your trip!

Old 09-16-2003, 11:34 AM
I have the Ford units, too. The problem with them is that they buzz and the image is blurry from the vibration. Do you have the same problem?

I have an idea to grind the surrounding enclosure further away from the edge of the mirror itself, in an attempt to give myself more adjustment space. And in doing so, I hope that the buzz goes away by reducing any possible contact points.

Old 09-17-2003, 07:16 AM
Haven't had that problem on this set. I did have vibration blurriness on the cheap set I had before but the Ford set has been fine.

Old 09-23-2003, 11:07 AM
I have a set of Schefenacker Telescopic trailer towing mirrors on my 03 F150 7700. They're a little spendy but they're the best. Made by the same people that make the telescopic tow mirrors for Fords F250. I've talked to a couple Ford reps and asked them why they offered such great tow mirrors for the F250 and nothing for the 150. All I could get out of anyone was "beats the h*** out of me" I bought my own and my Ford dealer put them on for me.

http://www.ttt-mirror.com/productoverview.html

I tow an 8" wide TT and I tow a lot. Might be a little much for someone who tows once or twice a year but they ARE the best.

Last edited by mjc3834; 10-31-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got the **** ones and they seem fine. The vibration is probably either the road you are on or you have a vibration in the vehicle itself...... I can't read license plate numbers with them, but I can tell when a car is there.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:51 PM
My **** slip over the whole factory mirror. They buzz a tad. They have also cracked along the seam. Plastic epoxy fixed that. Worse of all, they have scratched the finish of the factory mirrors along the top and bottom.

You can see the extended mirrors in this picture...

Quick Reply: rear view mirror extension recommendation