Towing & Hauling

Towing 5000lb with factory setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:11 PM
kco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing 5000lb with factory setup

I have a 2001 F150, 5.4L, 3.55 gears, 16 weels, and the factory tow package. (I believe it has a class 3 hitch). I tow my boat from the California coast across the high desert to the Colorado river about 5 time during the summer. This involves towing up several long grades 2 to 10 miles 6% grade in 100+ degree whether. The tow is about 600 miles round trip. My current boat is about 3500 lbs and the tow has been very easy. Now I am moving up to a larger boat which I estimate to be 5100 lbs. (Boat, eqiiptment, Trailer, and gas) My question is how will my truck handle the tow? Do I need to upgrade to a class 4 hitch, upgrade the transmission cooler? What should I do to assure maximum comfort and safety for the trips.

Thanks
KCO

Old 07-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Towing 5000lb with factory setup

Originally posted by kco
My question is how will my truck handle the tow? Do I need to upgrade to a class 4 hitch, upgrade the transmission cooler? What should I do to assure maximum comfort and safety for the trips.

Thanks
KCO
You should be fine. You're still well within the MAX trailering weight allowable for your truck given it's setup. I tow a commercial flatbed trailer (and Bobcat) with my truck that weighs somewhat more than 5K pounds, and have had no issues so far. Just remember to keep the OD off when you start to hit the grades to keep the tranny temp down. And no, you shouldn't need a class 4 hitch for the weight you've specified. Good luck towing.

Oh, by the way, what kinda boat ya get? Any pics?

-Mike-

Last edited by BigDeal; 07-08-2003 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:23 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The factory tow package comes with a tranny cooler. Your truck should be fine if you can accept the power. The only thing you may want to change is an equalizing hitch, but I woul try your current setup first when you get that new boat.

Quick Reply: Towing 5000lb with factory setup