Towing & Hauling

Boat Towing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boat Towing question

I plan to buy a 21' boat that will weigh about 6000 fully loaded incl. trailer. I am worried about towing power with the 4.6 V8. I do have the towing package and it's rated to tow up to 6800lbs. Can this truck handle it? Would supercharging be helpful or should I be considering another vehicle like an F250? Thanks for the input.

Old 06-13-2003, 05:12 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are just towing from house to dock, you may be okay. But, you are very close to the rating limits of your truck. If you plan to make a habit of towing 6000 pounds, I highly recommend a Sueprduty. Upgrade brake, suspension, and power.

Old 06-22-2003, 03:42 PM
What kind of 21 foot boat weighs 6000lbs? I have a 99 21 foot Mariah, weighs around 4000 with trailer. My 98 4.6 hauls it just great, and that was before the superchip, pulleys, and e fans. I do have a Transgo shift kit, which I HIGHLY reccomend to anybody that tows with the 4.6.

Anyways, i think youll be just fine with your truck. It would have to be a big **** boat to be 21feet and 6000lbs.

- Rick -

Old 06-29-2003, 11:04 AM
A 21' Seaswirl Striper with an 5.0 Volvo inboard weighs 4000lbs, the trailer weighs 1000lbs, it holds 100 gals of gas (6lbs per gal = 600lbs) add in fishing stuff and beer weight etc and we're talking pretty close to 6000lbs. I saw in the owners manual that I'm rated to tow up to 7200lbs so I should be ok, especially towing short distances. It's hills that might be a problem.

Old 06-29-2003, 05:23 PM
Hi Cruzer

Yes your truck will tow it. How well..you'll find out soon enough.

Your mods. will help. But...i think you'll find on long (6%?) grades you will slow down. If you have a/t...you may already know...when you see those long grades coming..click off OD. 3rd gear will give you a better run at it. You'll know then.

Flat terrain...you should buzz right along. Even so..you may find that the t/q will unlock on slight grades..maybe/maybe not? If its hunting (shifting alot) keep it in 3rd gear.

Anyhow...have fun...be careful...and as we say here in Nev.
"Keep it on the road"

Good luck...OT

Old 06-30-2003, 12:35 PM
6000 lbs is close to the limit but manageable!

If you can you may want to gas up when at your destination. This can save you lots of weight. As mentioned in the previous posts, stay out of OD especially when approaching hills. Mine will slow down on long steep hills if I forget about turning off OD. I tow about 5000 lbs.

My next truck will be something bigger but for now I'll make do with what I have.

If it works, don't touch it!

Old 06-30-2003, 02:29 PM
I tow a car trailer (1,500 lbs.) plus the car on it (3,500 lbs.) = 5,000 lbs. It tows fine with my '97 F150 Supercab 4x4 4.6 w/ Tow Pkg and 3.55 gears. But I haven't tried any steep hills or overpasses. I keep the overdrive switch off when towing, I believe it says to do this in the owner's manual.

I think for the most part you'll be alright, might strain a little on the hills. If the back end is dipping too low, you may want to look into getting 'helper' springs.

--Warren.

Old 07-05-2003, 12:26 PM
What are options for power upgrades? I have the chip, exhaust and intake. Will a supercharger work? Or will it cause too much rear wheel spin on the ramp.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:37 AM
Hi Cruzer

There are some here running blowers. If they also are towing, maybe they'll reply?

Seems to me if your going to continue w/mods..before a blower i would think the next one would be a nice "correct set of headers"
Also try to get latest info. on any cam updates for engine.

I know...i started mods. w/my 99. w/4.6L...almost went w/headers and blower..but soon realized potential problems with going that way. I also was very close to "GCWR". I wimped out and made a big change. But, thats just me.

I think if you have the time/$$$ and effort it will take..you could go that way. Short term results could be great..long term, maybe/maybe not? Because a/t is light duty..i found out i needed to make changes there also. Then axle ratio (gears) Well..you get the idea.

Good luck on what ever you decide. Lots of info here. OT

Old 07-08-2003, 11:57 AM
I used to tow a friend's 24' baja with my Explorer Sport, 6 cyl. The exploder had no problem pulling it. The problem was that the boat weighed more than the truck and it was hard to handle. On the highway, the trailer would push the truck especially down hills where it would sway back and forth a little. It was pretty dangerous.

Quick Reply: Boat Towing question