Towing & Hauling

2003 150 does brake control pigtail come with it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 08:58 AM
kro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 150 does brake control pigtail come with it?

Hello
I'm new to this forum. We pick up our new 2003 XLT Supercab 5.4/ 3.73/ 7700# this saturday. I have watched the past posts on this truck combo and have a little question. We will tow a 24.5 ft Jayco 5er. The dealer is installing the 7 pin socket but I will put in the brake control. On these new trucks is a little package supose to be in the glovebox that has: brake control pigtail, fuses for the 7pin socket and instructions. Or did Ford cut this out to save a few bucks?
Any help would be appreciated.
Kro

Old 03-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Hi,
There is a plug under the dash that you can plug the brake controler directly into. I did not even need to change/add any fuses with my F150. ~Then, all you need to do is add the 7-pin plug if you dont have it already

If you have'nt bought a controller yet, I would HIGHLY suggest the Prodigy! It does cost an extra $10 bucks for the harness that goes between the controller and the truck, but it simplifies the connections and is very clean and proper

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2003, 12:10 PM
If the dealer is installing your 7-pin connector, it does not sound like your truck has the towing package, so no pigtail.
The pigtail came with my '99 with the towing package.

Old 03-07-2003, 04:55 PM
What's the pigtail for, anyways? My '02 S-Crew (new to me last month) has the tow package, and both a 4-pin and the round (7-pin?) connector adjacent to the hitch. Yes, I do remember seeing a plastic bag with misc. wiring in the glove box with paperwork refrencing something about towing. I've never used the round style plug, both my trailers use the 4 pin type. I thumbed through the manual, and didn't find anything about this pigtail, either.

Old 03-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Hi Red

I think the pigtail is the adaptor needed to connect brake controller to the factory installed connector (trailer) plug (under dash) Which is wired to the 7pin connector on rear end.

If you ever use a TT with elect. brakes..youll be using the 7pin connector/w the brake controller. Unless its got surge brakes.
I dont think 4pin connector is designed for elect. brakes.

In the OEM supplied bag (w/tow package)...parts to install...as mentioned..you may/maynot have to install fuses/relays?

Hi KRO...a word of caution...i assume shop doing work is qualified.
Clarify with tech. before you leave. After install, they did test each pin. including the 12Vchg. (output) which will require the engine to be started. Could save a trip back to shop. JMO!

Good luck...OT

Old 03-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Post Pigtail

As these guys have said the pigtail comes with the trailer package. In your description you say that the dealer will install the 7-pin connector. Is there already the 7-pin connector under the rear bumper? If so you should have the kit as stated in the glovebox. The pigtail should be included as with the two(?) modules you insert into the fuse box with instruction.
I also second buying the Prodogy break control or consider the Jordan. This is the best control that is not mechanical and is easy to plug in. They make a pigtail for Ford applications as stated if you don't want to splice between the two. This control is widely discussed on the Trailer forums and is rated as one of the top two units, the other being mechanically connected.
try this url
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...nePage/Yes.cfm[/URL]
This forum can be searched to find other discussions on brake controls/prices etc.
I believe your 7700lb package already has the larger radiator but I don't know if the trans cooler was included? Make sure all areas are covered. Visiting the trailer forums will give you a better idea what else you will need to pull your trailer. Any other questions feel free to email me at junkmail7@starband.net

Old 03-09-2003, 07:45 PM
kro
The f-150 7700# comes with the tow package and the pigtail for
the brake controller should be in the glove box or the door pocket.
the receiver is factory installed.
Enjoy the new truck.

pop101 03 f-150 sc. 7700# of pure muscle

Old 03-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Hey KRO

Just where is the 7pin connector being installed? 5er or Truck?

Now im confused..but not first time!

OT

Quick Reply: 2003 150 does brake control pigtail come with it?