SVT Raptor F-150

The "Dark Assassin"

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Buxton91
I would say probably vinyl.

As for racing he's running it in the NMRA lightning and truck class, I could be wrong but they probably like the trucks in that class to be as close to stock as possible.
vinyl yes,

as far as trucks being close to stock, not hardly.

i think jlp runs close to the 8 second zone in his truck

Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enter that in the dakar

Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub'd

Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 AM
I don't know what it looks like up close, but from what I can see they did a very good job. I own a sign company and do full and partial wraps as well commercial vehicle lettering. Job looks like it was done well.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 PM
im sorry, but i too dont get this. why in the world, no wait, why in the universe, no wait, why in he11 do this to a raptor? why take a truck built almost exclusively for offroading and put it on asphalt?

these guys have obviously never raced a truck.

1st, it will get smoked. its not gonna "kill" anything at NMRA, unless their opponent breaks something coming off the line. a single cab 5.4l 2wd f150 running an s/c with modest boost (say 8-9 psi), lowered, geared properly with a locker, running slicks with a proper rear suspension set up can be done for 1/3 of the total price that they will have in this raptor, and the raptor will stand no chance against it. for one, he is 1000 lbs heavier with 4wd and being a crew cab. thats a second slower right there! (hint: every 100lbs of weight is a .10th of a second in the quarter, ask any real drag racer) and you just added probably another 100lbs with that glass tonneau. find one competitive drag racer with a glass tonneau. first, the wind drag in a truck bed is more of myth than fact due to the fact that todays manufacturers design the cab to channel the slipstream out and away from the bed. second, if there is any gain, it is surely lost by adding another 100lbs of weight.

i have raced trucks before. my last one ran high 10s on a $h1tload of laughing gas and a built motor. i know 2 guys who race lightnings, and they will tell you too that you will not find a harder vehicle to hook up hp at the track than a truck. period. first off, they have the worst front to rear weight ratio of any vehicle in the world. all nose heavy, no weight at all the back. racing trucks can be done, but it will need extensive and very well thought out suspension mods done. i ran a 4-link setup on mine with full slicks, a locker, and 4.90s.

and these guys are gonna do it on stock suspension? please. your talking about launching a 6000lb truck. to break into the 12s (which will be the point where you will even get noticed at NMRA) you will need to make at least 700 hp. while that may be possible with the 6.2 and enough boost (i dont know how much hp the stock internals can take, but 700hp is stretching a 5.4 pretty far) there is NO WAY, and i repeat, NO WAY that them or anyone else is going to hook up 700hp to the pavement with stock raptor soft swishy suspension. that thing is going to axle wrap like nothing youve ever seen. i know guys with mustangs who have a hard time hooking up less hp than that, with modded suspension on a car that was made to drag race. and your gonna do it on a 6000lb, 4x4 truck with stock offroad suspension?

and let me guess, you are going to counteract all of this with 4wd launches arent you? you will learn when you try it that it doesnt quite work the way you imagined it would in your "raptor gone drag racing wet dreams" you have been having.

there is a difference between 4wd and Awd. the industry created two different terms to describe channeling power to all 4 wheels for a reason. you might want to look into it.

More food for thought" Do you think there is a reason SVT made all the Lightnings 2wd?

here, play with this and see if im lying about hp and weight: http://robrobinette.com/et.htm also, that calculator assumes that you can hook up all that power

you bought an awesome truck, but if your going to enter into any type of competition with it, go with offroad baja type racing. or at least drag race on the beach or in the desert or something. you have the perfect truck for that.

you want to go drag racing on asphalt, get a 2wd single cab and start modding, and for G--s sake, shave the weight off of it, dont add to it. If you take absolutely nothing from this post, at least understand that weight is a BAD thing when you want to race.

Last edited by GTNOS; 03-02-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ what if he's bracket racing...or simply wants to have the Fastest Raptor. It's pretty evident that money isn't an issue...

Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by cditch13
If you remove all emotion and look at this from a logical standpoint, it is a monumental waste of money. You pay extra for a Raptor because of the drivetrain, suspension, bodywork, interior, and the extra lights for night time driving, and so on... How much of that is needed for a drag racing? This vehicle was designed for the sole purpose of racing across the desert, drag racing never entered the equation. This is the equivalent of buying a factory built Porsche 911 Cup car and re-doing it to go off-roading.

For the record, I'm not bashing the Raptor. I think it's an amazing vehicle, I just don't understand buying one and then turning it into a drag truck when there are other much better (and cheaper) options out there.
+1^^^^^thats the point i was trying to make. if they were doing all of this to a raptor to enter into some type of offroad race, then i would be all over this.

sorry, but if i posted in my mustang forum that i was converting my car to 4wd and adding 10 inch lift and 37s to go rock crawling, i would be expecting flames.....

Old 03-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
^ what if he's bracket racing...or simply wants to have the Fastest Raptor. It's pretty evident that money isn't an issue...
i get that money isnt a issue. it isnt for any serious racer. but this is just backa$$wards to me. i donno, i guess im just on a different playing field when it comes to drag racing. i dont see the point in spending all that time, energy and money racing something that is going probably going to run 14s. whats impressive about an 80k truck that runs 14s in the 1/4 mile? my moms taurus would do that. spend like 80 grand to get beat by a taurus....why? it would be more impressive to me to see him take a 2wd drive truck and break 9s for less money time and effort or to watch a vid of his truck hauling a$$ across the desert racing another truck. what he is wanting to do, wrong tool for the job.

Last edited by GTNOS; 03-02-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTNOS
i get that money isnt a issue. it isnt for any serious racer. but this is just backa$$wards to me. i donno, i guess im just on a different playing field when it comes to drag racing. i dont see the point in spending all that time, energy and money racing something that is going probably going to run 14s. whats impressive about an 80k truck that runs 14s in the 1/4 mile? my moms taurus would do that. spend like 80 grand to get beat by a taurus....why? it would be more impressive to me to see him take a 2wd drive truck and break 9s for less money time and effort or to watch a vid of his truck hauling a$$ across the desert racing another truck. what he is wanting to do, wrong tool for the job.
I see what you're trying to get at here, but from the sounds of it, this guy is with a legit and heavily sponsored race team. Im sure with some motor work and forced induction they will have no problem competing in the class. If they have the funds to pull it off why flame them? Its a cool concept and obviously something that's not been done before. As far as motor goes, they will have way more under the hood than those 5.4's in the L's.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:14 AM
I don't think your getting what he's saying. Even with 1000hp the truck won't be competitive on the stock suspension. The OP said people in his class run in the 8's. I backed off on him when I realized he's not building a race truck, just throwing go fast parts at it and running it down the track. Wining obviously isn't the goal here. Just showcasing the truck and their shop.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Y'all are funny...he is doing it just to do it. I totally get it...if you want to be the lowest et then yeah go do something everyone else does. He has a 5.0 mustang with 950hp or so (same beefcake from MF right). He can go fast and low et in that if he wants (and does). He just wants to play with a 4wd raptor now no big deal.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Buxton91
they will have way more under the hood than those 5.4's in the L's.
the 6.2 is nice, dont get me wrong, but dont discount 5.4s ability to make power. especially under boost. in fact, with today forced induction technology its less about the size of the motor, and more about how strong the motor is built, the size and quality of the blower, and how much boost its pushing.

IMHO, the only fair way to compare a 6.2 with a 5.4 is n/a. once boost enters the equation, it comes down to who has the better built bottom end and the better blower.

Last edited by GTNOS; 03-02-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by cditch13
I don't think your getting what he's saying. Even with 1000hp the truck won't be competitive on the stock suspension. The OP said people in his class run in the 8's. I backed off on him when I realized he's not building a race truck, just throwing go fast parts at it and running it down the track. Wining obviously isn't the goal here. Just showcasing the truck and their shop.
thank you. and ill eat my hat if he runs 8s in the 1/4 in that truck, period. i dont care what he does to it. ill shut up, recant my statements, apologize and log off of the forum for the last time if he posts a vid of an 8 second raptor. he is not the first one to toss hp at the raptor and take it down the 1/4 mile. there are several others. the fastest one i have ever heard of runs a low 13s, and that was with alot of modification. you can typically expect to get 200-250 extra hp safely out of near any stock v8 engine before internals are at their limits. So unless the 6.2 has a forged bottom end, (which i believe it only has a forged steel crank) then 650 is gonna be about the limit without a forged short block. 650 isnt gonna break him out of the 14s, sorry. i have not seen a new motor on his build list. and once again even if he gets a new motor with all the power in the world, how is it going to hook up well enough to run 8s?

sorry, im just not seeing this happening. unfortunately, the laws of physics apply even to raptors.

watch this vid: do really see his raptor competing with this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnzjYe14u38

it took MMR 2100 hp to get a 05-09 mustang to run low 8s, high 7s. source: http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

and thats a car nearly 1/2 the weight of a raptor with proper track setup. by my estimate, it will take him 3000 hp to get his raptor into the 8s. then there is still that pesky traction problem......

EDIT: BTW, that is a 4.6 3v in that MMR stang making 2100 hp. like i said, once boost enters the equation, engine size doesnt really matter.

Last edited by GTNOS; 03-02-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GTNOS
So unless the 6.2 has a forged bottom end, (which i believe it only has a forged steel crank) then

650 is gonna be about the limit without a forged short block.
650 isnt gonna break him out of the 14s, sorry.

i have not seen a new motor on his build list. and once again even if he gets a new motor with all the power in the world, how is it going to hook up well enough to run 8s?

sorry, im just not seeing this happening. unfortunately, the laws of physics apply even to raptors..
Hennessy Raptor 500. 14.09 @ 97mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG2kWfngJE0

Raptor 600 TT
http://www.autodezine.com/ford-f-150...-by-hennessey/
Performance:
• 0 – 60 mph: 4.9 sec.
1/4 mile: 12.9 sec. @ 106 mph

Hennessy VelociRaptor 800
Power:
• 810 bhp @ 5,600 rpm

The VelociRaptor 800 Upgrade Includes:
Forged Aluminum Pistons
• Forged Steel Connecting Rods
• Balanced Rotating Assembly

• HPE 6.2L Twin Turbo System
• Twin Ball Bearing Turbochargers
• Dual Air-to-Air Front Mounted Intercoolers
• Stainless Steel Turbo Exhaust
• Dual 44 mm Wastegates
• Dual Blow-Off Valves
• Electronic Boost Controller
• Polished Inlet Piping
• Fuel System & Injector Upgrade
• HPE Engine Management Calibration
• Transmission Upgrade
• Professional Installation
• Dash-Mounted Boost Gauge
• All Necessary Gaskets & Fluids
• Chassis Dyno Tuning & Road Testing
• Serial Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques
• Hennessey & VelociRaptor Exterior Badging
• 1 Year / 12,000 Mile Limited Warranty
• Transmission Upgrade Required
Looks like your 650hp limit was a little off... 800hp with forged pistons and rods, looks like the stock block is still there.

Last edited by ak_cowboy; 03-02-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
Looks like your 650hp limit was a little off... 800hp with forged pistons and rods, looks like the stock block is still there.
i didnt say anything about the block. i said "bottom end." the block is probably good for 1500+, as i know the 5.4 is. i said 650 is probably pushing the limit on the stock bottom end / internals (ie:rods and pistons)

again, i didnt see a forged motor build in the plans for this raptor, and i still dont see it competing in an 8 second class, forged motor or not.

as far as the vids, ill recant he might get it out of the 14s. that hennessy 600 is the one i was referring to earlier that ran low 13s. looks like they finally got a dip into the 12s.

point is, i dont see it going any faster than that. low 13s and barely tapping into 12 category.

still wont have a prayer in the truck category with Lightnings, Saleens and other built 2wds.

Last edited by GTNOS; 03-02-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: The "Dark Assassin"