Drop Question??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop Question??

Ok guys/gals. I want to drop my truck. I would like a 1-3 but I dont think there avaliable, if so please let me know. But my question is....Why do some trucks that I see droped have the front wheels bent. I mean that the top of the wheel sinks into the fender and the bottom moves out away from the truck..kinda like this / \ (representing both tires here). Is there something these people did wrong? Did they forget to but something on? What is this caused from? Thanks for any help.

Old 10-25-2001, 07:47 PM
What's up?
You can go with 2" spindles in frt, but you would have to change rims. If you do lowered coils you can keep the stock rims. About the jeaning of the tires, they may have cut the coils or heated them to drop the truck. If they did either too much the alignmrnt would be off. They also may have used air bags inplace of the springs. If so they may have let the air out to show off how low they can go. That angle is called camber. Negative camber, to be exact, is what they have.With the exception of adjustable suspensions all can be aligned if done right.
Hope that helps..see ya
Brian

Old 10-26-2001, 09:45 AM
The front wheels will not camber in if your only going to do a 1" drop...I had a 4-6 drop then you'll need a 2* accentric bolt kit. The front cambers in because you have short long arm suspension. The lower control arm is longer than the top - thus giving your wheel two different arcs. The only way to fix this is to make both arms the same length.

Also drop spindles are not made for the f150's anymore--they break

Old 10-26-2001, 11:27 AM
Guys,

Thanks. Is there a certain company that yall could suggest that I could go with to purchase the drop kit. Is this something I can do in my garage or do I need a shop to do it? Where is the best place to purchase this, online or at a shop? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-26-2001, 11:49 AM
Do the install yourself if you can, a shop will charge a leg. hardest part is getting the ball joint off. I didn't want to screw up the grease boot so I just let the 2 lower control arm bolts loose under the engine x-cover and drop the arm that way...Just watch the spring we all know what can happen!

Old 10-26-2001, 11:54 AM
Try western suspension or godfather customs - just stay away from Aim Industries...I know their prices are cheap but they will get you will packing and shipping charges and the service sucks!

Old 10-26-2001, 08:45 PM
Do it yourself. If you leave nut on end of ball joint and strike with a hammer it will seperate. Then with a jack lower control arm down it will open pretty easy. You can get spring out in a controlled manner. The new spring goes in easy. Do the reverse and it is back together quick. I did springs, both control arms, and flipped the axle in back in about 4 1/2 hours. Did c-notch out back the next day about 1 1/2 hours. My kit was from Chassis Tech(an AIM company). It may cost alittle more but,I would purchase from a shop not through the mail. That way you can tell if the person has a clue about the kit or not. If there is a problem it would be easier to solve also.
My .02 worth.
Bye
Brian

Quick Reply: Drop Question??