Help! Squeeky Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Squeeky Steering

Can anyone help with what to do with my squeeky steering. I have read some posts on it that mentioned the pitman arm and puncturing a rubber boot and filling with grease. However, I can't seem to find what is being talked about. Does anyone have a picture? I tried spraying a lithium water based grease on the outside of what looked to be it but that did not help. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 10-26-2001, 12:35 PM
Just take a syringe w/ grease in it, and insert the needle into any and all pivoting points on the front end, that have rubber boots on them, tie rod ends, the whole nine yards. I had the same problem you have, and it took a couple days after i put the grease in to quiet it all, but it's been a couple thousand miles since, and still no squeeky! Let me know if you have any more ?'s.

Old 10-26-2001, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did do that to one boot. However, grease came out....so I quit for fear of losing what grease was in there.

Old 10-27-2001, 02:57 PM
Just did this job this morning. I got a needle with a standard grease zert attached from O'Reilly's. I did my best to slip it under the edge of the boot, but I really think I stuck it through the boot on at least one (kinda hard to tell for sure; I was more worried about sticking that needle in my thumb!!). I pumped 4-5 strokes very slowly into each tie rod end, and about 10 into the pitman arm. The pitman arm was the only one where I may have overfilled it, because a little grease came back when I pulled the needle out. The idler arm has a grease zert on it, so no need for the needle there.

It worked immediately!!

Quick Reply: Help! Squeeky Steering