Outer tie rod binding on coil spring with 6in lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer tie rod binding on coil spring with 6in lift

Hey first time posting anything so work with me. I just had a 6in rough country suspension lift installed on my 07 F150 XLT 4x4 and the outer tie rod is now bolted from the top of the new larger knuckle. Causing it to bind on the coil spring and "clunk" on turns. Very frustrating. So does my rack and pinion need to be moved forward by the shop that should have properly put on the lift? Or can I just bolt the outer tie rod from the bottom. Giving it a steep angle but moving it away from the coil? Please help. And input is much appreciated.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Never heard of that problem ..... pics would help.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't think that would make that much difference mounting it on top. Something else could be installed wrong, I agree some pics would be helpful. If you move it to the bottom the extreme angle would cause premature wear as well as throw off your alignment.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM

heres one picture, trying to get more

Old 11-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by tbear853
Never heard of that problem ..... pics would help.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by dont slow down
I didn't think that would make that much difference mounting it on top. Something else could be installed wrong, I agree some pics would be helpful. If you move it to the bottom the extreme angle would cause premature wear as well as throw off your alignment.
I put a few pictures, let me know what you think. Will work on the Ion in the meantime

Old 11-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Were there drop brackets installed on the steering rack? Some lifts do have brackets that relocate the rack. I think you could get away with mounting the tie rods under the knuckle but I would replace them if they feel loose. Also moving them under will change your toe in so it may need to be aligned again if you move them. Did they install them on top for a reason?? Or just make a mistake?

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by dont slow down
Were there drop brackets installed on the steering rack? Some lifts do have brackets that relocate the rack. I think you could get away with mounting the tie rods under the knuckle but I would replace them if they feel loose. Also moving them under will change your toe in so it may need to be aligned again if you move them. Did they install them on top for a reason?? Or just make a mistake?
I just talked to rough country on the phone, they have no idea. And unfortunately the knuckle is tapered, so the tie rod can only go in from the top. Seems I am between a rock and a hard place.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:14 AM
putting the tierod ends on the bottom of the spindle won't change much since the pivot between the inner and outer tie-rod will still be at the same place.
And you will now get stupid bump steer!

Look to me like it's only the boots that is touching the coil and not the tie rod itself.

I doubt it the tie rod the issue of your clunk.

be sure everything is torqued down correctly and that the upper balljoint isn't binding up, and the cv axle aren't binding either.

Last edited by maxpat82; 11-11-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by maxpat82
putting the tierod ends on the bottom of the spindle won't change much since the pivot between the inner and outer tie-rod will still be at the same place.
And you will now get stupid bump steer!

Look to me like it's only the boots that is touching the coil and not the tie rod itself.

I doubt it the tie rod the issue of your clunk.

be sure everything is torqued down correctly and that the upper balljoint isn't binding up, and the cv axle aren't binding either.
that is originally what I thought as well, but there are grooves on the spring itself where the tie rod touches. I have already been to 3 shops today and no one has an answer. I cant be the only one with this issue?

Old 11-11-2015, 06:06 PM
So are those aftermarket knuckles then? If so I would be questioning if those were made correctly. Seems like the arm on the knuckle is too short?? Can you measure the length of it and compare to stock knuckle?

Quick Reply: Outer tie rod binding on coil spring with 6in lift