Need to lift rear of truck only...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 AM
DMA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need to lift front of truck only...

2002 S'Crew Lariat FX4
Torsion bars leveled
315/75-16

Just installed my new wheels/tires last week. The front fits perfectly with no rubbing of any kind and more than enough gap all the way around, but for whatever reason (and I don't know if this is normal or not), my rear wheels/tires are not centered within the wheel well like the front wheels/tires. So, when you look at the rear wheel well, there is a larger gap between the front of the tire and the wheel well, than between the rear of the tire and the wheel well...and the difference is considerable. Anyway, I'm thinking I could solve this problem by simply lifting the rear a little in order to prevent rubbing when I encounter bumps and such. I've been looking at several block kits, but none of them have long enough u-bolts to fit over the blocks and the existing leaf spring plates (see attached image below - red arrow at part #5729). Or should I be removing these leaf spring plates? Regardless, if any one could recommend a good 3" rear block kit (or larger if it is necessary to remove the aforementioned leaf spring plates), it would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Last edited by DMA; 03-14-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Changed Title
Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Can we get some pictures to help out? It seems weird that new wheels and tires would cause an issue like that. As for removing the plates, they create a functional mounting surface between a round axel housing and the cube shaped block/bump stop, so you can't remove them. When you pick a new setup you'll stack the bump stop on top of the new block and use the new u-bolts you referenced to hold it all together. I have a local shop that has made me several sets of custom u-bolts at great prices. I hope that gives a little insight and I'm sure I can help clear things up a lot better with some pictures. Happy New Year brother!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:47 AM

Stacking blocks isn't a good idea. Just get one 3" block with its U bolts and then toss the one that's in there now. However, I find it pretty odd that new wheels and tires would do that. Are you sure the issue wasn't there before? And is it the same on both sides? I think there may be a potentially big issue going on here.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 AM
DMA
I decided to simply remove the OEM leaf spring spacers (part # 5729 in my image above) and replace them with 5-inch blocks and new u-bolts. That put plenty of space between the rear wheel wells and the tires so there is no more rubbing. However, now, due to the increase rake, my front tires are rubbing. Is there any such product that I can add to my front suspension (without going with an actual lift kit) that will lift the front about 3 inches? Perhaps something that would go between the coil springs or something along those lines? Thanx.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have any coil springs. Your only options are to add a 3 inch body lift or a full suspension lift.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:19 PM
DMA
Hmm...I must be thinking of something else (wrong name of part) as I clearly see a spring between an insulator or spacer of some kind on the top and the lower control arm on the bottom. I just thought that one could replace that insulator or spacer at the top of the assembly with a larger one. Thanx.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Coil springs were for the 4x2's, so your possibly looking at the wrong part diagram, because the 4x2's did come with a spring isolator on them.

As for the rubbing, where is it rubbing at?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:14 PM
DMA
The front tires rub on the insides of the wheel wells when turned sharply. In addition, when I brake hard and the nose dives, it rubs on the top, front of the tires.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I'm confused. Actually, you're confused. If you have a 4WD like you said you did, and you cranked up your torsion bars like you said you did, then you do not have coil springs. The torsion bars are the load carrying component of the front suspension (they serve the same purpose as a coil spring on a vehicle that has coil springs). Are you sure you're not possibly looking at a boot on the shock and mistaking it for a spring? Post pics.

If your truck was level to begin with, did you not expect the nose low rake to return when you lifed the rear? What did you think would happen?

Were you actually having rubbing or were you assuming it would rub just because of how it appeared to sit?

Most people don't notice it because to be honest, I've never heard it described as dramatically as yours; but yes, on these trucks the axle does not center with the wheel well perfectly, creating what you have described. My truck has it, but I don't have any rubbing and would not describe the condition as severe as yours.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:21 PM
DMA
You're right, Galaxy. I was wrong. That's what I get for trying to rely on online documentation. (lol) So, if I only need to lift the front, how can I go with a body lift kit? Won't that lift the entire rig? Thanx again.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Yes it'll lift everything. But you already cranked the keys, so you have no other options besides buying a full lift kit, or trimming.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What Pizza said!

Quick Reply: Need to lift rear of truck only...