Nitrogen PSI For Fox Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrogen PSI For Fox Shocks

I am running Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks on my rig, and I want to check the Nitrogen pressure in them, but I am unsure on how much they should have. I've read elsewhere 200 psi, and I've also read of some guy running in the desert using 250-300 psi, for quicker damping response. What do you think?

Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you need to get that info from Fox. Also, you don't want to go checking the pressure in them with a tire gauge. You'll bleed off pressure. You know that little psssst of air you get from your tires when you apply and remove a pressure gauge?? Well in a shock at that high of pressure and very low volume, that little psssst can be significant. They make adapters for servicing nitrogen that lets you add and check pressures without bleeding any off; need to use one of these if you want to check it.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:41 PM
200 psi is what they run at.

http://www.ridefox.com/dl/offroad/fo...-fabtech-s.pdf

^^ found this off of foxs website. idk what 2.0 shocks you have but if you go on their site, go to the shock you have, go to the "service" pdf on the right hand side it will tell you everything you need to know. some try and adjust the shocks with pressure but its kind of a half assed way of valving. Idk anyone running 300 though, that seems like it would blow seals really quick. wouldn't recommend it.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I couldn't find a service pdf for my shocks. They are 2.0 Smooth body reservoir. I'm guessing that Fox want you to use them for shock service, but I am unable to ship out my shocks and wait a month for service. I cant afford another set yet, so I can ship out one set for rebuild, while I run the other ones. My driving is 80% gravel washboard, potholed roads at highway speeds, and these shocks have about 10k miles on them, so I figured I would at least check the working pressure in them. I found a guy who does shocks for sleds, and he says he has a pressure gauge and nitrogen for filling, but I haven't been able to connect with him yet. I think I will end up getting my own gear for testing, and filling shocks though. Should I learn the entire rebuild process? How regularly do these shocks need rebuilding? Fox says 50K for highway, and 10K for highway/off-road. I hate waiting on other guys.

Another quick question: Would I benefit from a bypass shock for this type of driving? Or are bypass shocks designed for a jump up and down kind of rig?What do you think?

Old 12-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by sledman62
Thanks for the tips guys. I couldn't find a service pdf for my shocks. They are 2.0 Smooth body reservoir. I'm guessing that Fox want you to use them for shock service, but I am unable to ship out my shocks and wait a month for service. I cant afford another set yet, so I can ship out one set for rebuild, while I run the other ones. My driving is 80% gravel washboard, potholed roads at highway speeds, and these shocks have about 10k miles on them, so I figured I would at least check the working pressure in them. I found a guy who does shocks for sleds, and he says he has a pressure gauge and nitrogen for filling, but I haven't been able to connect with him yet. I think I will end up getting my own gear for testing, and filling shocks though. Should I learn the entire rebuild process? How regularly do these shocks need rebuilding? Fox says 50K for highway, and 10K for highway/off-road. I hate waiting on other guys.

Another quick question: Would I benefit from a bypass shock for this type of driving? Or are bypass shocks designed for a jump up and down kind of rig?What do you think?
Learning how to rebuild/valve shocks is REALLY cool, not all that complicated but still time consuming. The magazine Dirt Sports did a really great job on explaining the whole process. They did an 18 part series.... and only one has made it to digital that I could find.

http://www.dirtsportsnation.com/feat...uspension-118/

As you mentioned you will need the right tools. Also at that speeds/driving style you probably could use a reservoir style shock... it will help with fade and the charge/oil set up.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rancho Shocks
Also at that speeds/driving style you probably could use a reservoir style shock... it will help with fade and the charge/oil set up.
Not to mention they look COOL!!!

Old 12-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Yeah, they do look cool.Mine are the remote reservoir style, plus I had the optional Compression adjuster installed.I just wish I could find a different reservoir mount. I have them piggybacked to the shock, but I would like to find a mount where I could fit them flat to the outer frame rails, so you could easily see them in each wheelwell. There are plenty of billet mounts for piggy back on the shock. Anyone know of this type of mount? Currently I am running the fronts on 4, and the rears on 3. The road to my job can be really rough, and they are great shocks.

Thanks for the link, it's full of great info. I think I will spend some time this winter learning how to rebuild my shocks.

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Yeah, they do look cool.Mine are the remote reservoir style, plus I had the optional Compression adjuster installed.I just wish I could find a different reservoir mount. I have them piggybacked to the shock, but I would like to find a mount where I could fit them flat to the outer frame rails, so you could easily see them in each wheelwell. There are plenty of billet mounts for piggy back on the shock. Anyone know of this type of mount? Currently I am running the fronts on 4, and the rears on 3. The road to my job can be really rough, and they are great shocks.

Thanks for the link, it's full of great info. I think I will spend some time this winter learning how to rebuild my shocks.
Something like this...

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...Kit-p-783.html

Old 12-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Thats the idea, but I was hoping someone made them in billet.Like the one Fox does, but flat on the bottom, not Siamese.
Not a big deal, it's way too cold to play out side this week anyways. -32C this morn.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor
Talking

Thats the idea, but I was hoping someone made them in billet.Like the one Fox does, but flat on the bottom, not Siamese.
Not a big deal, it's way too cold to play out side this week anyways. -32C this morn.
-32C? I don't even know what that means!!!! Stay warm. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen PSI For Fox Shocks