How much lift was added to truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:47 AM
g94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much lift was added to truck?

I bought a 94 F-150 4*4 with a leveling kit on it (at least accorrding to my brother). Now I need to determine the amount of lift, so a supsension issue can be fixed.

Does anyone know how to determine the lift someone put on a truck?? Where do I measure? And where do I check to make sure it's not just a body lift? I am clueless on this subject.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:01 AM

If you can post some pictures, people would be able to tell you from how high it's sitting and pics of the wheel wells would show a body lift and some other stuff if they're there. Measuring might be kind of tough because if it's higher off the ground, bigger tires come into play too.

If it has a body lift, you can physically see rubber-like cylinders sitting between the body of the truck and the frame, maybe along with some metal rectangles under the bed sections. They'll likely be 3" or so tall, so you'll be able to see them pretty easy. This is how the 97+ trucks are, so I assume yours would be similar, but I could be wrong.

If it has a leveling kit, you might be able to see a spacer on top of the coil spring. I'm not sure if you can see it on this body style, but I imagine you could. It also might have new, taller coil springs on it for the lift.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:49 PM
^^ this, check for body lift. rubber spacer where body and frame meet. check coil spacer. flat looking disk on top of coil spring.

whats the suspension issue?

Old 12-01-2013, 02:15 AM
g94
Originally Posted by fnnrNArnner74
^^ this, check for body lift. rubber spacer where body and frame meet. check coil spacer. flat looking disk on top of coil spring.

whats the suspension issue?
I have new shocks all the way round, new ball joints, and a new passenger tie rod, BUT the front bounces horribly. I have Rancho 5029's on the front, but they are for stock height.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 AM
What type of tires? And what load range tires?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 AM

g94, did your issue get resolved in your other thread, or no?

Body lift shouldn't affect suspension.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:54 PM
g94
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
g94, did your issue get resolved in your other thread, or no?

Body lift shouldn't affect suspension.
This is the same issue-bouncing. I've been in touch with Rancho & they need the height of my truck to see if 5029's are appropriate.

The hope is/was I find out the lift, tell Rancho, they tell me I just have the wrong shock and *boom* truck is all better. I crawled underneath her and didn't see any signs of body lift, or blocks at the top of the springs, HOWEVER I did see what looked to be large nuts wedged inbetween the bends/curls/loops of the front springs.

I have an appointment Wednesday with a local shop to take a look at her.

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 AM

If you want to save money, snapping pics for us would likely tell you everything you need to know. If not, then spend money for people to tell ya what you've got.

I want to say I've seen shims, or something similar, smashed into the coils to keep them expanded more, but don't know why anyone would do that.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Cheap redneck lift man. Why pay for a kit that cost money when you can fire up the ol mig and tack in some nuts and bolts instead?

Seen it a few times in my area, though usually it's on mud trucks that'll never see the road or a full set of tires being worn down before the truck gets too trashed to use.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by g94
This is the same issue-bouncing. I've been in touch with Rancho & they need the height of my truck to see if 5029's are appropriate.

The hope is/was I find out the lift, tell Rancho, they tell me I just have the wrong shock and *boom* truck is all better. I crawled underneath her and didn't see any signs of body lift, or blocks at the top of the springs, HOWEVER I did see what looked to be large nuts wedged inbetween the bends/curls/loops of the front springs.

I have an appointment Wednesday with a local shop to take a look at her.
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
Cheap redneck lift man. Why pay for a kit that cost money when you can fire up the ol mig and tack in some nuts and bolts instead?

Seen it a few times in my area, though usually it's on mud trucks that'll never see the road or a full set of tires being worn down before the truck gets too trashed to use.

wait what?! did I read that correctly? please don't tell me to "lift it" they just took bolts that were longer separated the coil from the bucket, and placed in bolts and tacked them in? if so.. wow haha can I see this please?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM

I REALLY want to see pics . . . you can text or email them to me and I'll put em up here. I gotta see this.

Quick Reply: How much lift was added to truck?