Add levelling kit with new suspension??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add levelling kit with new suspension??

Hey,

Apparently I need new suspension on my 09 F150 Supercrew - does anyone know the most affordable/best suspension to buy? Can I add a small levelling kit at the same time? Thanks.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Why do you need a new suspension? Who told you that you need a new suspension? What suspension parts do you need? How many miles? 2 or 4 wheel drive?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Well I took the truck to the local Ford dealer because it was clunking a little when turning at slow speeds - the dealership said all looked good but the wheels were a bit "cupped." He asked if my sunspension felt good and I said no actually it skips/shudders across the road a bit and feels really stiff - he then said that suspension for these trucks is good typically for 75,000 km...and this may be the reason for the issue. i'm guessing it is. don't know exactly what suspension parts but he said they only run about 70$ each and take about 1.5 hrs. to put them all in...just wondering if it's a good time to put a levelling kit in too...

Old 09-02-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
New shocks, yes. New suspension, no. I'd go elsewhere if the dealer told me I needed a new suspension. Common sense goes a long way here.

As for a leveling kit, I hated mine when I had one. Rode weird afterward and alters the suspension geometry because you're cramming something in a set dimension.

Last edited by Stealth; 09-02-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Go get a second opinion. Or better yet drive another 09 and see what you think

Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Is your dealer referring to replacing the ball joints, tie rod ends, and parts like that? I could see those being bad in that amount of miles. But the whole suspension? No way..

Sounds like those parts might be bad though. Take it to a different shop, if you have a local alignment shop that'd be best, and have them check it out. And ask what parts they're referring too, because the whole suspension is a lot of components...

Old 09-02-2013, 10:00 PM
thanks guys - i'm guessing the dealer meant that it's just the shocks that may need to be replaced. i just talked briefly with them on the phone so i'm going to find out specifics tomorrow. the tie-rods, ball joints etc. are very tight and good (the dealer checked them as well)...

Trending Topics

Old 09-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suggest a set of Bilstien shocks. The front Bilstien coilover shocks feature adjustable spring preload so you can level the truck, if you wish.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would take that truck to a different shop for 2 reasons.

#1. They aren't doing a good job of explaining WHAT is actually worn / broken.
#2. Unless that are going to do the work under warranty, you do NOT want to go back with Ford OEM ball joints / tie rod ends if you have a choice. The OEM are not greaseable, but considered lifetime lubricated components, sadly that means their lifetime will be VERY short.

Go to a reputable shop and get it checked out, and have them SHOW YOU what they are finding. If it is things like ball joints / tie rod ends, get them to use Moog Problem Solver components. (Ask for them by name, and insist they use them and NOT Motorcraft pieces). The Moog have proper grease fittings that Ford left off just so we would have to take our trucks in for suspension rebuilds at an early age...

On the leveling kit issue, if you are going to be replacing shocks, and at the mileage that you say you have, you should by now, you have good, better / best. And the better / best can be debated until we turn blue, so let's move forward with the idea.

Good: Leveling spacer kit with stock, or stock replacement shocks. Typically lowest cost, maintains very close to stock ride, using a 2.5" kit and stock wheels 35x12.5 tires can be run without rubbing no problem, aftermarkets can work, but are a bit touchier due to backspacing. Factory 20s can be problematic too.

Better / Best: This is the debate. Some guys love the Bilistein due to the height adjustment, some guys love the Rancho Quicklift Loaded due to the ride adjustment. The Rancho is a 2.5" level / lift, the Bilistein can go 2.5" as well. I went with the Rancho system and like the ride adjustment, a LOT. I can firm it up, or loosen it up as need be. Not sure about the Bilistein setup, but the Rancho has a substantially longer than stock coil spring, and allows more upward travel, tires that did not rub with a spacer, rub with a Rancho. I finally had to bite the bullet and trim some plastic and roll a sheet metal edge on the inside of the fender.

Don't get me wrong, a leveling spacer is a good piece of hardware, and if you like the stock ride, go with the OEM shocks / spacer rig.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely need a second opinion, if its just the shock I would get some Bilsteins which knocks both things off with one thing because they allow you to level

Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
I have an 06 Screw and put a 2.5" Rough Country level on it and love it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. IMO the truck looks great and rides pretty close to stock. The steering is a lil different, but barely noticeable

Quick Reply: Add levelling kit with new suspension??