All inclusive Do's, Don'ts, Common Lift Questions, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Inclusive Do's, Don'ts, Common Lift Questions, Reference Pictures, etc.

As some of you may have noticed the old sticky no longer contains the information it used too, so I went through and compiled all the old threads into this one! Hope it helps!

Coil Spring Front Suspension (97-03 & 04 Heritage F150) (2WD)
You can lift with the use of:
  • Coil Spacers (1-3")
  • Lift Coils (1-3")
  • Spindles (3-3.5")
  • Full suspension kit (6-7.5")
Tire Fitment:
  • Stock Height - 31"
  • 2-6" - 33x12.50"
  • 6.5-10.5" - 35x12.50"
  • 10.5"+ - 37" to 38"
  • All the sizes with the exception of the last are based on a 8" wide wheel with 4.5" backspacing. Wider wheels or less backspacing will alter the size of tire that will fit. OEM wheel's will allow the best fit, but may cause rubbing issues depending on tire width, and some suspension kits don't allow the use of them.
Some rules to note are:
  • You can't go over 2" with spacers or coil springs without the use of aftermarket control arms.
  • I wouldn't recommend anything over 38's on the ifs front end with the 8.8 rear axle.
Some brands are Springtech, Canuck Motorsports, Fabtech, Doestch, Rough Country, etc.
Torsion Front Suspension (97-03 & 04 Heritage F150) (4x4)
  • Cranking the factory torsion keys (1-2.5" depending on how much you crank)
  • Full suspension kit (4-6.5")
Tire Fitment:
  • Stock Height - 33"
  • 4-6.5" - 35x12.50"
  • 9"+ - 37" to 38"
  • All the sizes with the exception of the last are based on a 8" wide wheel with 4.5" backspacing. Wider wheels or less backspacing will alter the size of tire that will fit. OEM wheel's will allow the best fit, but may cause rubbing issues depending on tire width, and some suspension kits don't allow the use of them.
Some rules to note are:
  • Do not buy aftermarket torsion keys, they allow you to go way too far and nothing will be in spec.
  • I wouldn't recommend anything over 38's on the ifs front even with the 9.75 rear end, it'll cause problems.
Some brands are Procomp, Rough Country, Fabtech, etc.
Coil-Over Front Suspension (04+ F150 Both 4x2 & 4x4)
  • Spacer (1-2.5")
  • Leveling Struts (1-2.5")
  • Full suspension kit (4-12")
Tire Fitment:
  • Stock Height - 31" (4x2) & 33" (4x4)
  • 2-2.5" - 33" (4x2) & 35" (4x4)
  • 4" - 35x12.50" (4x4)
  • 6.5" - 35x12.50" (both 4x2 & 4x4)
  • 8" - 37-38" (4x4)
  • 9.5-11" - 37-38" (4x2)
  • 12" - 40" (4x4)
  • These sizes are based off of using an OEM wheel, or a wheel with OEM specs, with the exception of kits which call for a different size wheel in which case tire sizes are based off those.
Some rules to note are:
  • I would highly reccomend against using a 3" leveling kit, you will destroy front end components very, very quickly.
  • With the use of the Rize Kit such as the 12", it will require modifications including lengthening driveshafts, longer break lines, custom shocks, custom leaf packs, etc.
Bumping a 4" Kit to a 6" or 6" to 8":
  • If your kit uses a spacer for the lift, then you can use adjustable struts (Such as Bilsteins), and crank them up 2" to get more lift.
  • If your kit doesn't use a spacer, then you can stack a spacer (such as Autospring's), to get 2" more lift.
  • If your kit already has adjustable coil-overs (such as the Procomp Stage II), then you can crank those up for 2" more lift.
Other notable things:
  • Some members have reported not getting the full amount of lift from the Rancho Quicklifts.
  • Generally 04-05's need 2.5" to level.
  • Generally 06-08's need 2" to level.
Some brands are Autospring, Bilstein, Rancho, Rough Country, Procomp, Fabtech, BDS, Rize, etc.
Leaf Spring Front Suspension
Do not stack blocks under the front leaf springs, it messes with the steering and create's a stress point which can cause them to crack. Instead consider either lift leaf springs, lift hangars, or mini-leaf packs.
Body Lifts
I highly recommend the Performance Accesories body lift in the 3" size if your considering one, due to the fact it comes with bumper relocation brackets and instructions are readily available. If you can't do the install, it's not cheap. It can range 500 (on the really cheap side) all the way up. If the truck is excessively beat on or a lot rust of around the cab mounts on the body, I'd say to probably look at another source of lift. The body lift has the potential to, under extreme, circumstance, to cause the body to crack around the mounts or push through the cab completely.
Gears
Regearing the axle can make differences in a couple areas, like better gas mileage (to an extent) or more power off the line for turning those big tires or towing.
Some general things about them are:
  • The front axle on 4x4's from 97+ use an 8.8 Reverse Cut.
  • The rear ratio will depend on which axle you have back there.
  • The front ratio must match the rear ratio for 4x4 to work.
  • To figure out your factory gear ratio, look inside the door jamb, and you'll see an axle code number or letter/number, and then the easiest thing to do is google it.
  • Regearing can be expensive, so if you don't absolutely need it, then don't worry about it. However 35's are about pushing the limit of what the stock gears want to handle. So for tires bigger than 37's I'd highly recommend regearing.
General gear ratio for your tire size:
  • 33" - 4.11
  • 35" - 4.11 (Highway) or 4.56 (City)
  • 37-38" - 4.56 (Highway) or 4.88 (City)
  • 40" - 5.29
Airbags
Don't run the line's near anything that will get hot (exhaust), anything sharp, or anything that will move in the suspension travel and can pinch it. Having a bag blow or deflate is going to make for a bad day.
Leaf Spring Rear Suspension
For the rear suspension you can lift it with the use of:
  • Blocks (If at all possible try to stay under 5.5", don't stack blocks and stay away from aluminum blocks)
  • Add-A-Leaf (Come in two varietes: long and short. Long rides better but has a harder install, short installs easier but rides rougher. Don't stack these)
  • Shackles
  • Full Leaf Packs (Don't stack big blocks under big leaf packs, it can cause some serious axle wrap. Companies like Deaver, National, Alcan, and Atlas all make custom leaf packs)
Also if your having axle wrap issues due to big blocks, low gear ratio's, lots of power, etc. You can fix it with a set of aftermarket lift leafs in the height you need so you don't need the block or a set of traction bars.
Towing
If you tow big amounts or with big tires frequently definitely consider regearing. It'll give you more power for inclines and it'll take some stress off your transmission. Remember just because an Add-A-Leaf adds a little more weight capacity it doesn't mean you csn haul more than truck is rated for. Generally aftermarket leaf packs can decrease your towing capacity because they're softer but you can have them built to maintain the same capacity. Also big blocks and towing can increase chances for axle wrap.
Thinking of converting to 4x4?

Converting to 4x4 isn't a simple or very cost effective swap, expect to spend about 3k in parts and probably double that in labor if you can't do it yourself. And that's with using junkyard parts, otherwise the sky is the limit price wise. Unless your seriously attached to the truck or your going full show or mud truck and don't care about your base vehicle its more cost effective to just buy another truck to play around in thats 4x4.

The only real options are to do a solid axle swap and then either do a leaf front suspension or a 4-link suspension up front, with leaf being the cheaper route and the linked being the better riding one. If your trying to convert from ifs (independent front suspension) to an ifs 4wd suspension, I'd just forget about that idea. The only real feasible way to do this is to literally just do a body swap if you wanna keep your original truck body. Because of the way are frames are designed and the ifs suspension is you almost really need to swap everything from the frame and below.

However if your dead set on doing this here's a short/incomplete list of things you'll need:
  • 4x4 transmission
  • Transfer case
  • Front Axle (might as well do the rear too so you can match lug patterns)
  • Steering
  • Brakes
  • Wheels (axles will change your lug pattern)
  • Transfer case crossmember
  • Leafs or a Link setup
  • And a lot of custom fabbing
Wheel Spacers:
While I don't recommend these, if your deadset on them the smallest size that can be "safely" run is 1.5". This is the smallest size you can get with the studs already pressed in and it'll still require minor trimming of the stock studs.

Some things to note:
  • The only kind that are remotely safe are the ones with studs pressed in.
  • Do not get the kind that just slip over your factory studs.
  • Make sure they are torque'd to spec and regulary check them when rotating the tires.
  • I don't recommend trying to make your wheel have less than 4-4.5" of backspacing, your bearings will hate you.
  • Don't cheap out, buy quality ones. You don't want to shear off a stud or worse lose a wheel going down the road.
Special Notes:
  • After either adding or removing some form of lift you will need an alignment.
Resources:
Thanks to mhockey9090 and 06yz250f for some of the information I pulled from their threads. And thanks to the members on this site for all I have learned to be able to write this!

And of course if you have any questions or anything you think should be in this thread feel free to post in here or pm me anytime!

Last edited by pizzaman711; 07-16-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Note: I played no favorites when choosing pictures for the references. I used the new image search on here and choose the first picture each time that was a good viewing angle and had what lift/tires it had listed with it. If you don't want your trucks picture up on here pm me anytime and I'll promptly take it down.

97-03 4x2
Leveled - Courtesy of 1clean42
Name:  1clean42leveled.jpg
Views: 5304
Size:  40.0 KB

5" on 33's - Courtesy of GaNole07
Name:  GaNole075in33s.jpg
Views: 7384
Size:  74.8 KB

6.5" on 35's - Me
Name:  65inches.jpg
Views: 5269
Size:  57.9 KB

8" on 33's - Courtesy of Buxton91
Name:  buxton918in.jpg
Views: 4750
Size:  102.2 KB

12" on 37's - Courtesy of GATOR CREW
Name:  gators.jpg
Views: 9243
Size:  89.0 KB

97-03 4x4
Leveled on 35's - Courtesy of woopigsooie
Name:  leveled35s.jpg
Views: 4938
Size:  60.3 KB

6" on 35's - Courtesy of 03KingRanch03
Name:  03KingRanch036in35s.jpg
Views: 4959
Size:  30.7 KB

9" on 38's - Courtesy of JASON'S98S/C4X4 38's
Name:  jasons9in38s.jpg
Views: 9614
Size:  183.5 KB

11" on 38's - Courtesy of bigtruck311
Name:  bigtruck31111in38s.jpg
Views: 5669
Size:  51.3 KB

These are just reference pictures to give you a general idea of what height your truck could sit with certain wheel/tire combos and lifts. If you want to know more about a certain truck, search for it with the forum search tool.

Last edited by pizzaman711; 02-22-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 PM
04-08 4x2
Leveled 2.5" - Courtesy of BMWTech
Name:  fx2leveled.jpg
Views: 4793
Size:  173.8 KB

4" - Courtesy of

6" - Courtesy of bhall1222
Name:  bhall12226in35s2wd08.jpg
Views: 4623
Size:  60.0 KB

8" - Courtesy of

04-08 4x4
Leveled - Courtesy of MJG-FX4
Name:  MJG-FX4Leveled.jpg
Views: 5039
Size:  102.0 KB

4" - Courtesy of

6" on 35's - Courtesy of Pockets
Name:  Pockets635s.jpg
Views: 4621
Size:  78.7 KB

8" on 37's - Courtesy of allrsdup
Name:  058in37s.jpg
Views: 5646
Size:  90.6 KB

10" on 39.5's - Courtesy of Mark Mayes
Name:  MarkMayes10in.jpg
Views: 4655
Size:  71.5 KB

These are just reference pictures to give you a general idea of what height your truck could sit with certain wheel/tire combos and lifts. If you want to know more about a certain truck, search for it with the forum search tool.

Last edited by pizzaman711; 02-20-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
09-13 4x2
Leveled - Courtesy of
4" - Courtesy of
6" - Courtesy of
8" - Courtesy of

09-13 4x4
Leveled 2" - Courtesy of 2009KR
Name:  2009KRlevel.jpg
Views: 5050
Size:  93.6 KB

4" - Courtesy of Desert Dawg
Name:  desertdawg4in.jpg
Views: 5201
Size:  46.1 KB

6" on 35's - Courtesy of TimeLessr1
Name:  Timelessr16in4x4.jpg
Views: 4771
Size:  195.3 KB

8" - Courtesy of

10" - Courtesy of fx4 for life 79
Name:  fx4forlife0910in.jpg
Views: 4758
Size:  85.7 KB

Last edited by pizzaman711; 02-20-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mod's please delete this post sent Picture to Pizzaman

Last edited by Pockets; 02-20-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks! If anyone else has any pictures I'm missing or you think should be added just drop me a pm with the link to them so this thread doesn't get too cluttered with pictures.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
We really appreciate pizzaman711's willingness to make this compilation. It took a bit of time and work but will assist many in the future. It's guys like this that make this a great community of Ford owners.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks a lot Bluejay!! The kind words mean a lot!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 AM
Good job man. One thing though, that picture you used of my truck at 8" it was actually on 33's at that time. You might want to edit it to avoid some confusion. If you need a picture of it with 35's on 8" I'll send you one. Fortunately I'm probably one of the few on here that has went through all of the various lift and tire sizes (And taken pictures at that!). haha

Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Buxton91
Good job man. One thing though, that picture you used of my truck at 8" it was actually on 33's at that time. You might want to edit it to avoid some confusion. If you need a picture of it with 35's on 8" I'll send you one. Fortunately I'm probably one of the few on here that has went through all of the various lift and tire sizes (And taken pictures at that!). haha
Ah that's what I get for trying to do it all at 3am, I thought it looked like there was a lot of room there haha. Might as well send me the one with it on 35's too haha.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Suspended
Pm will be sent to you shortly peetz. About maybe putting my truck in here with a 13.5'' on 38's. And im very disappointed with some of the pic description's. Why? cause there is no tire size listed in most of them. I know what size they are just by looking at them. But the newbs who are interested wont know and could be a bit frustrating for the little guys (noobs).

I know there is no need for a 13.5'' on 38's pic. Its just an opportunity for me to show off my baby

Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by lltoolj02
And im very disappointed with some of the pic description's. Why? cause there is no tire size listed in most of them.
Are you illiterate? Just about every picture has the tire size listed!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Suspended
Theres a few that don't have tire size. I take most back and replace it with a few. And i am not as disappointed. Pizza did a great job with this thread. Props to you sir

Old 03-13-2013, 03:53 AM
Wow...this post is dang good and very helpful...it obviously took some time and effort...thanks pizzaman...way to represent mechville boys haha....im never really mean or bash on anyone on this site...but lltoolj, come on, your name "tool" is starting to describe you the more and more i read...

Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hunterjh
Wow...this post is dang good and very helpful...it obviously took some time and effort...thanks pizzaman...way to represent mechville boys haha....im never really mean or bash on anyone on this site...but lltoolj, come on, your name "tool" is starting to describe you the more and more i read...
I agree, GREAT thread. Thanks pizzaman, - perfect! Bookmarked it in fact lol.

Quick Reply: All inclusive Do's, Don'ts, Common Lift Questions, etc.