Zone 6" + AS 1.5" level spacers PROBLEMS. PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zone 6" + AS 1.5" level spacers PROBLEMS. PLEASE HELP

Has anybody had success running a leveling spacer like the AS or daystar in conjunction with the Zone 6" lift on a 2WD? I did this last night and now I have all kinds of issues.

My truck is a 2010 FX2 SCREW 2WD. I have the Zone 6" lift that uses the drop down bracket for the lower CA, the longer steering nuckle, and the longer struts up front for the lift. Last night I added the 1.5" AS leveling spacers because I had about 1.5" of rake and I HATE not being level. This caused several problems.

My ball joints are now completely maxed out. To the point where I don't feel comfortable leaving the spacers on. My upper CAs are coming in contact with the coil springs when the suspension is at full droop like over big dips. The ride also went to crap up front. Before I added the spacers it rode smooth as butter, I was amazed. Now it' rough, makes a bunch of racket over bumps(most likely from the upper CAs hitting the springs), and has what feels like bump steer.

I have read countless threads about people running 2" and even 2.5" spacers on top of their 6" lift kits with no problems. So why am I having all of these issues with a 1.5" spacer (really only 1.25" thick)? Is it because I have 2WD? Is it because I have the Zone as apposed to another brand? A member on here with a 4WD has the 6" Zone with a 2.5" spacer and says he has zero issues so I am leaning towards the issue being related to mine being 2WD.

As of now I'm thinking the only way to achieve the level stance is to remove the spacers and put on a drop shackle in the rear. I REALLY don't want to do that. I like the height I am at as of today. I didn't buy a lift kit and 35s only to have to bring the back end down to sit level. Plus I have zero clearance issues with the tires now that I have the spacer on. If I remove them I am going to rub again and I have already trimmed away about as much as I can.

If anybody has any info or insight on this please enlighten me. This is really ticking me off. I have spent more money on parts and more time on doing ALL the labor myself than I even care to remember.

Cliff notes - I added a 1.5" AS leveling spacer last night to my 6" Zone lift kit on my 2WD 2010 FX2 SCREW and now my ball joints are maxed out, my upper CAs are coming in contact with the springs when the suspension is as full droop like over big dips, and the ride up front has gone to crap. Why is this happening? What can I do to fix it?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Bump. Anybody have any info???

Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have any pictures to document your setup?

Sometimes what happens is a Lift will be advertised as a 6" but the drop down bracket will really measure anywhere from 4"-6" and then use a spacer to reach the advertised 6".

What shock/strut option are you running up front?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your suspension issues. I know with the BDS kit (similar to Zone) they offer a 1" shorter block as an option to give you more of a leveled look. However that doesn't help in your case since you'll introduce more tire rub without the spacer. It sounds like it's a geometry (balljoint/tie rod) issue that's causing the rough/noisy ride. Likely a set of UCA's will help with ball joint angles but it's costly. Any chance you installed the spacers incorrect? I don't know if that's even possible. I know the AS are suppose to alleviate UCA/Spring contact by offsetting the top of the spring/shock inward at the top. Also are you positive you receivd the 1.5" level from AS. I thought I read somewhere that 1.5" actual spacer height netted 2.5" lift on the AS kits. So if you're saying your spacer is 1.25" then your likely a 2"+ level. Could be pushing the limits on a stacked lift setup.

Last edited by dubless; 01-30-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by fine_style150

Sometimes what happens is a Lift will be advertised as a 6" but the drop down bracket will really measure anywhere from 4"-6" and then use a spacer to reach the advertised 6".

I'm waiting to hear back from him on that measurement to figure out the actual drop of the subframe. This is my #1 guess as well currently.

I'm assuming he is running zones strut that comes with the kit.

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM

You are almost correct. pics below. No spacer in the zone kit, just a longer strut. I added the AS spacer after and that is what caused the problems.

Originally Posted by dubless
Sorry to hear about your suspension issues. I know with the BDS kit (similar to Zone) they offer a 1" shorter block as an option to give you more of a leveled look. However that doesn't help in your case since you'll introduce more tire rub without the spacer. It sounds like it's a geometry (balljoint/tie rod) issue that's causing the rough/noisy ride. Likely a set of UCA's will help with ball joint angles but it's costly. Any chance you installed the spacers incorrect? I don't know if that's even possible. I know the AS are suppose to alleviate UCA/Spring contact by offsetting the top of the spring/shock inward at the top. Also are you positive you receivd the 1.5" level from AS. I thought I read somewhere that 1.5" actual spacer height netted 2.5" lift on the AS kits. So if you're saying your spacer is 1.25" then your likely a 2"+ level. Could be pushing the limits on a stacked lift setup.
The shorter block would solve the problem and that is what I am most likely going to do. That or put on the drop shackles I have laying around. UCAs like the camburgs might do the trick and allow me to keep the spacers but that's a costly test.

I am positive this is the 1.5" kit from AS. I spoke to them over the phone and ordered during the call. The 1.5" kit is supposed to net 1.5" from a 1.25 spacer but I got about 2" of lift from it. It's the 1.25 spacer, I measured to make sure before I put them in.

Definitely pushed the limits. No bueno. Going to have to do something one way or the other, quick.
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
I'm waiting to hear back from him on that measurement to figure out the actual drop of the subframe. This is my #1 guess as well currently.

You were absolutely correct. Check pics below. That drop down bracket barely gave me 5" of drop. I am running the longer struts as you suspected as well. Going to take the spacers off tomorrow after work for sure. What I will do from there to achieve the level stance is still undecided.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Looks like the Zone bracket only gave you 4.5 inches of drop. I suspect that is the problem. If the bracket had dropped down a full 6 inches, I doubt you would be having any problems.

Trending Topics

Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM

Sorry to hear about your issues Milt. Unfortunately you'll have to modify the rear to get the leveled look.

Like the others said that drop down only gave you 4.5" and the longer strut compensated you for the missing 1.5"

If you purchased a uniball UCA then you may skid by this but thats $800 plus your time for a couple more inches/ road truck...Not worth it to me.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 06yz250f

Well I'll say grasshopper (ME) is learning well

Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Looks like the Zone bracket only gave you 4.5 inches of drop. I suspect that is the problem. If the bracket had dropped down a full 6 inches, I doubt you would be having any problems.
Sorry to hear about your issues Milt. Unfortunately you'll have to modify the rear to get the leveled look.

Like the others said that drop down only gave you 4.5" and the longer strut compensated you for the missing 1.5"

If you purchased a uniball UCA then you may skid by this but thats $800 plus your time for a couple more inches/ road truck...Not worth it to me.
Yup. Taking the spacers off tonight after work and going to bring the back down with some adjustable lowering shackles I have laying around. I'm not too bummed about it anymore. It's still gonna look sick and it's going to ride great again and be safe. All in all it's not too bad.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM

True that. GL

Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
then you gonna update your sig?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
then you gonna update your sig?
hahahha yeah. It's getting aligned right now. I'm gonna wash it up and take some pics this weekend. Photo shoot????? "Milt IV and Patman meet AGAIN"??? LOL

Old 02-02-2013, 01:21 AM
1.5" AS spacers off. 1.5" drop shackles on. Sits level now, all my angles are back to where they need to be, rides like a DREAM again, loving it!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Suspended
Looks really good!

Thought about changing up the grill?

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Zone 6" + AS 1.5" level spacers PROBLEMS. PLEASE HELP