Need Advice: Struts/Shocks/Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice: Struts/Shocks/Wheel Bearings

I have my 04 Crew 4x4, and i just passed 155k.

I took my truck in to get an oil change and have a clicking noise from my front wheels checked out.

Turns out the clicking noise is my wheel bearings, they are toast.
Also come to find out my struts are leaking.

I have several questions. Ford want 3k to replace all this....seems a little high.

1. What is a good set of Struts/Shocks? 100% road use.
2. What are wheel bearings? What is a good set/brand i should buy?
3. Does anyone know a good mechanic in Dallas, TX? I don't have the tools, place, or time to do this myself.

BTW I dont have a level kit on there, and if I am going to go through replacing all this, it would be nice for it to be closer to level when I am done.

Thanks,

Stephen

Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Suspended
new struts = bilstein 5100 adjustables which will level you out on the 2" setting.

3k is rediculous amount of money for new wheel bearings and struts.

PM patman, he can do the install for you. He's a certified mechanic who does work on the side for members.

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Ok thanks.Do you know what model# I would need, i see a few different variants of the 5100?

Anyone else?

Last edited by 04LariatCrew4x4; 07-10-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 04LariatCrew4x4
I have my 04 Crew 4x4, and i just passed 155k.

I took my truck in to get an oil change and have a clicking noise from my front wheels checked out.

Turns out the clicking noise is my wheel bearings, they are toast.
Also come to find out my struts are leaking.

I have several questions. Ford want 3k to replace all this....seems a little high.

1. What is a good set of Struts/Shocks? 100% road use.
2. What are wheel bearings? What is a good set/brand i should buy?
3. Does anyone know a good mechanic in Dallas, TX? I don't have the tools, place, or time to do this myself.

BTW I dont have a level kit on there, and if I am going to go through replacing all this, it would be nice for it to be closer to level when I am done.

Thanks,

Stephen
Shock Recommendations IMHO:

1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications
2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone that are 100% steel belted or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability
3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG that are a mix of steel & nylon belted or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-G’s (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2’s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.. Best shock for the $/best price typically found at Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) and typically about 1/3 less than Bilstein.
4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEM replacement type unit.

Wheel bearings- Timken

Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Suspended
Deleted

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Struts/Shocks/Wheel Bearings