How to crank torsion bars? 1999-2003

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to crank torsion bars? 1999-2003

Hi everyone, I've searched high and low using the search and the How-To forum but have not found anything that actually says how to crank the torsion bars. I was hoping some of you guys would like to shed some light on the subject!

I've been looking to get a slight lift on my 2001 4x4 for quite some time now, I just don't have the budget for a suspension lift, and I can't do a body lift due to my brush guard.

So if there's anybody out there that knows how and would like to pass along the knowledge it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Also, what's the biggest tire size I can get under the cranked torsion bar and taller blocks on the back?

Last edited by Colorado01; 07-06-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
-Have you at least located the torsion bars?

-Have you located and identified the bolt that goes through the key at the aft end of the torsion bar/crossmember assembly? (Sorry, I'd post pics but I'm on the phone)

-Crank this bolt in until the desired ride height is achieved.

-Congratulations, you've just finished!

Some options for you:

-Jacking the truck up by the frame so the front wheels are hanging free does make turning the bolt a little easier (but only slightly), but this step is not required and does not yield different results.

-My technique is to crank both bolts in full to the stops until they bottom out. Let the truck down (if you jacked it up) and drive around a bit. Compare ride heights from side to side. If one side is higher than the other, lower the higher side until it's level with the other side. (obviously you can't raise the lower side to match the higher because you don't have any bolt left if you followed my technique)

-Rear block; wait until you're done with the front. On my truck, the torsion bar adjustment sat the truck perfectly level for me. Any block in the rear would have put the rear too high again. Just wait and see how the front turns out for you.

-Tires; 33's! Many will tell you 35's will fit, and they will physically fit, but 35's don't "fit", if you know what I mean. They just don't go with the flow of the truck...but to each their own on this subject.

Last edited by Galaxy; 07-06-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks, this has helped a lot. I wasn't sure if there was anything special I needed to do other than turn that bolt. And thanks for the input on the tire size too!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Nope, that's it. Also consider a front end alignment afterward. Not something you absolutely have to get done ASAP, but not a bad idea when you can get to it.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM
If you don't do an alignment it'll just cause uneven wear because it won't be close to spec after leveling.

And like he said a 33" will fit perfect but if you just want to go for size then a 35" will fit on the stock wheels.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
If you don't do an alignment it'll just cause uneven wear because it won't be close to spec after
Everyone says that but it's not entirely correct. One of the innovations for this truck was the SLA (short long arm) suspension. When the wheel moves throughout the range of motion, the geometry remains. Is it ideal? No. You should always have an alignment done based on the neutral position of the front end. When you lift it, an alignment makes it more ideal. However, will it be waaay out of whack and wear tires fast & uneven?? Absolutely not!

Quick Reply: How to crank torsion bars? 1999-2003