Front end squeaking on my '97....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end squeaking on my '97....

My '97 has developed a bad squeak only when you turn the wheel either direction. Problem is I cant really pinpoint where its coming from and really dont know what to look for. Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks
pat

Old 01-28-2007, 03:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its a squeak probably worn bushings somewhere. the rubber drys out and cracks.check your steering linkage and ball joints. have a friend turn the whell while you check underneath.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 01-28-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Do you hear the sqeak only when turning the wheels or can you hear it when driving straight as the suspension works?

The reason I ask is I had had a squeek in the front of my '97 for quite a long time that I couldn't pin down. Until this happened one day at Walmart.

About 2 weeks after I did a nearly total rebuild of my front end, My brother-in-law had a similar problem on is '97, while he was driving down the road.

While taking a look for him, I upped his repair bill when I saw this.

He did end up with a entire front suspension rebuild as the top Ball Joints were trash too.

Darn nongreasable factory components. But then my B-in-law had been running a snow plow for 3 seasons on his truck so his had seen some abuse.

Unless the failure is obvious like it was for me and my B-in-L you check the ball joints as follows.

Raise the front end and support it for safety. Now you'll need a second set of eyes to look where the steering knuckly and lower ball joint meet. While you grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to rock it, have them look for movement at the bottom and then again at the top.

I forget what the allowable play is, but it is less than 1/8th of an inch. So pretty much if any movement is seen the ball joint needs replacement.

Now if you only hear is when turning, it could be dry Tierod Ends, and you can see from the picture above what that can lead too.

I wish you luck and hope you discover and repair your problem before it leads to something that needs a tow.

Doug

Last edited by DDan1967; 01-28-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the help, I only get the squeak when I'm steering, the ball joints were replaced a few years back and dont have much mileage on them.

pat

1997 F150 Scab Lariat 5.4L
2004 F150 Scab STX

Old 01-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lucky that didnt happen on the highway or at speed. ball joints are often overlooked. if you dont know how to check them bring it to a trusted mechanic. for a quick check they probably wont even charge you.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Keith97xlt

Your darn right about that. Had my Ball Joint dropped at speed it would have probably spelled the end to the truck and maybe me.

Luck would have it that it happened when I started to back out of a parking space. BANG, then GRIND. Get out take a look, curse and get back in and Grind again to put it back in the stall.

Doug

Old 01-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tide150
Thanks for the help, I only get the squeak when I'm steering, the ball joints were replaced a few years back and dont have much mileage on them.

pat

1997 F150 Scab Lariat 5.4L
2004 F150 Scab STX
idler arm is probably your culprit if its ONLY while steering.
when i first got my truck i had a extremely irritating squeek when steering. i crawled under my truck, stuck my grease gun up there and forced some grease in under the rubber boot on the idler arm, it eventually quieted down.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 PM
I hade severe squeaking while turning for the longest time and finally even when the suspension was working sometimes..... also noticed the steering was developing a shimmy at times to...not all the time tho...After inspection I repalced all 4 ball joints....the drivers lower was a death trap...getting ready to let go Im sure. Changing the balljoints was a cake walk...I was suprised! Now no squeaks and sable steering

Old 02-18-2007, 06:10 PM
I had the same squeaking problem on my '97. I never really bothered with it even though it bothered me hearing it everytime I turn. I cranked on my torision bars to make my truck sit level and it hasnt squeaked once since I did that....

Old 02-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Front End Squeak

Hi

I have the same problem. Was told by a mechanic that it was my Pitman Arm. While the truck was on the hoist, he moved the front tires side to side, heard the noise while tires were moving.

Vince

Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince97
Hi

I have the same problem. Was told by a mechanic that it was my Pitman Arm. While the truck was on the hoist, he moved the front tires side to side, heard the noise while tires were moving.

Vince
BINGO
Comon issue. My was doing it about 4 years ago. Poked a small hole in the boot and squirted in lithium grease from a rattle can. I've only greased it once since then, and it does not squeek. Ball joints tend to squeek over bumps.

Boy is that truck rusty. It's one of the joys of living in the midwest.

Frankly, I've been very happy with the life of my factory non-greasable parts. At 300,000 + miles, I've only changed the lower ball joints once. Everthing else is original. I'm thinking about changing all the tie rod ends even though they are still tight. The factory ends can fail without warning and the boots are starting to crack.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM
I've got the squeaking too but it didn't start till after I took it to the car wash and I just bought this 2 weeks ago from a dealership and it is a used vehicle..i am going to call dealership just wanted ideas of what it could be before I call.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 AM
it was the breaker arm and tie rod

Quick Reply: Front end squeaking on my '97....