Custom spacer on Rancho Quicklift

Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom spacer on Rancho Quicklift

I'm loving the ride quality on my Rancho Quicklift but I'm admittedly a little disappointed with the amount of lift it's provided now that everything has settled. I'm getting some rubbing in reverse where I never did with my AS 2 inch level and even some rubbing when turning going forwards with the truck loaded up.

I'm thinking about adding a Daystar 1 inch polyurethane spacer on top of the quicklift. Now my concern is that the daystar will raise the front of the truck too much and I'll run into problems that occur with a 3 inch spacer.

Essentially I'd like to know if it would be possible to to cut the daystar level down a third or half an inch to achieve a net lift similar to my old AS 2 inch level? What kind of shop would likely do this if possible?

I don't really know anything about poly, so curious if it would be much trouble to customize a pair of spacers? My gut tells me that the 1 inch daystar (which apparently lifts closer to 2 inches) in combination with the quicklift will give me more lift than I need and will result in problems down the road.

Thoughts?

Last edited by johnjohnson78; 01-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Upon further research I've stumbled across this ROUGH COUNTRY spacer kit which appears to come in 3 pieces. It refers to upper and lower strut spacers. Anybody familiar with this kit? Do you think I could use 1 or 2 of these spacers to achieve 1-1.5 inches of additional lift on top of my quicklift?

Opinions?
Name:  M25604051.jpg
Views: 2203
Size:  24.7 KB

Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 PM
BUMP for opinions??

Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 PM
All your ideas sound pretty unsafe, if it comes with those pieces then chances are you need all the pieces. As for cutting the spacer down that's a horribly unsafe idea to. Besides you can't go over 2.5" total without running into front end component problems.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 PM
You seem kind of stuck. I don't know what would happen if you cut a 1" Daystar spacer in half. It could be fine or it could weaken it somehow and cause it to break in half or something. I guess it's just up to whatever your judgement says to do

Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm NOT saying that I recommend this but if it were me, I'd try it:
Since the coilover sits up on the spring pocket of the frame, the weight of the truck is pushing up on it, keeping it in place. The three bolts on top secure it from moving around. I would try using washers on the studs, making sure there are enough threads to secure the bolt at the top. You may get a 1/2" out of this.

...and you cannot cut down a Daystar spacer as it uses extended studs:

Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. Interesting thought stovetop.

It certainly looks like the daystar idea is out due to the extended studs. I still think the other idea could work if I were able to source some shorter studs of the correct length to go with whatever spacer lift I choose. Not really worried about the safety aspect of this one as it's ultimately just going to be a 3/4 inch spacer level. I am indeed kind of stuck here.

I'm considering just ordering a pair of ICON Coilovers that are adjustable up to 3 inches of lift. Not ready to stomach the loss on the Rancho parts and another installation and alignment quite yet though.

Last edited by johnjohnson78; 01-20-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would like to subscribe to this just in case the topic picks up. im not too crazy about cutting and grinding on my truck to do the lift but i would like to stay leveled, its mere perfect for me now. i did look at icon coils and may consider them instead since my readylift leveling kit is garbage as i've been told a couple times

Old 01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by johnjohnson78
Thanks for the input fellas. Interesting thought stovetop.

It certainly looks like the daystar idea is out due to the extended studs. I still think the other idea could work if I were able to source some shorter studs of the correct length to go with whatever spacer lift I choose. Not really worried about the safety aspect of this one as it's ultimately just going to be a 3/4 inch spacer level. I am indeed kind of stuck here.

I'm considering just ordering a pair of ICON Coilovers that are adjustable up to 3 inches of lift. Not ready to stomach the loss on the Rancho parts and another installation and alignment quite yet though.
Fastenal can make/order in pretty much any fastener you can think of if you want to try the Rough Country kit or like Stove Top suggested you can try adding some washers in there for a small gain.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Suspended
Ghetto thread is ghetto.

sell your rancho's and get bilsteins (if they will get your desired height) or get better riding stock heights and run a spacer again.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
Ghetto thread is ghetto.

sell your rancho's and get bilsteins (if they will get your desired height) or get better riding stock heights and run a spacer again.
I don't see how putting a 1/2" spacer on a 2" leveling strut assembly is any different than putting a 2.5" spacer on a stock strut assembly. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Ghetto thread is ghetto.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by narsus
I don't see how putting a 1/2" spacer on a 2" leveling strut assembly is any different than putting a 2.5" spacer on a stock strut assembly. I'm curious to see how it turns out.
washers stacked to get 1/2" of lift is GHETTO.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm open to any idea to get reasonable lift but using washers inside the frame while positioning a strut i wouldn't do. the 1/2" spacer on top of the QL's sounds more like it.....honestly, ever since i posted last time the icons seem much more within reach

Old 01-26-2012, 05:40 PM
washers stacked to get 1/2" of lift is GHETTO.
I see what you are talking about now. Makes sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom spacer on Rancho Quicklift