poping noise while turning in 4x4 hi or low

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poping noise while turning in 4x4 hi or low

as i turn to the right mostly i hear a poping noise in my front end an axle or wheelbearing? it only does it in 4x4 hi or low any help

Old 07-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a popping noise from the left side of my front end when making right turns that I have not been able to figure out. Took the truck to the shop a couple of times but no luck. Will be glad to hear what u find out.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this thread out, me another member are having the same problem, lets try to figure this out.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...w-cv-axle.html

Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 PM
It's your cv axle, I can probably guarantee it. I would do this in the grass btw. Put your truck in 4hi, turn the wheel at full lock in either direction. While holding the wheel at full lock give it some throttle in reverse throttling on and off, do the same with the truck in foward. Have someone stand next to the truck as you do this so they can tell if the noise is from the driver side or passenger side so you know which cv axle to replace. Let me know what happens.

If your truck is an 04-08 there is 1 brand new motorcraft tx455 halfshaft assembly left for $140! It's $455 at the stealership. Mine is an Fx4 if you have a special edition like the Harley its possible you may need a different one.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my axle today and it still pops.
BLACKOUT07 did you figure anything out yet.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well my truck is not a 4x4 and I have a popping noise.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:56 AM
I was referring to the problem the OP is having not yours just to clarify so there's no confusion.

If your 2wd is popping there's not too many things that can be doing it, I would imagine anyway. Just to ramble off a few on the top of my head maybe ball joints, control ARM bolts, check to see if that tire has play in it as far as the steering system goes, I've heard one story of an after market rotor somehow making a similar noise. Tighten any bolt you can find on the front left end of the truck, brake Calipers bolts, any bolts you can find on the back side of the wheel. Does the noise occur in easy right turns or does the wheel have to be at full lock to the right? Does it happen in foward and reverse? And does it just occur once while turning or a consistent POP that continues as you continue with your turn? I have also learned noises somehow don't always come from where you and 5 other people sware its coming from.

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My truck has had the popping noise for so long I can't even remember. Pre and post lift. Almost 9+ years, 120,400 miles and not a single problem from it.

I chased it for a while...replaced stuff on the front, had the axles out and inspected, no damage to splines, axles are great, bla, bla, bla. Like you said, it only does it in 4WD, so I have learned to accept it and even embrace it. Nothing bad has ever come of it.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 PM
That's good news then. correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 04-08 4wd works slightly different than yours in the 02, or maybe it's the little bit older f150's I'm thinking of. Since his is an 04 and in our year range truck from everything I have come across if someone's vehicle was making a consistent noise in 4wd something was wrong, and eventually was able to be fixed. But so many people hear a noise and don't understand the type of noise they are hearing, if the OP actually has a POP noise I would still bet I am right on the cv axle, but he has yet to post back with more details about the noise he is experiencing so I am basically just going off his guess it's a pop noise, which it may not even be for all we know.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM
You are correct, there are some slight differences in the OBS vs the NBS, but I think they are internal to the axle and the actual engagement. the axles and such are pretty much the same basic design.

Are you clairvoyant or have some special skill or insider knowledge?? I saw nothing in his post indicating he had an '04 truck with this noise.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Hahaha excellent point! I had my head tied up on a pm I just got about an 04 with a popping noise. Thanks for pointing that out though, I wonder if the op is ever coming back he may have fixed it and disappeared.

Just in case he does return... hey WILL22 give us some info about your truck to work with here or at least let us know if you fixed it.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 AM
sorry guys been without internet for a while , ok the truck is a 2006 lincoln mark lt 4x4 it pops as u turn it sharp in hi or low i havent got anything done cept the 2in level, stock tires and i can go farward as much as i want and there isnt any poping noise until i turn i have looked under it and the ball joints tierods bearings all look good (it just had a alighment and the bad items were replaced)

Old 07-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Is the poping noise your hearing just the clutch packs in the front diff slipping?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by shifty219
Is the poping noise your hearing just the clutch packs in the front diff slipping?
No clutch packs in a front diff, unless it's an aftermarket limited slip or some other. But he just stated it's stock, so no clutches. Open diff in all front axles.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Soundin like a good ole cv to me

Don't turn so sharp in 4wd! Haha if it only pops at absolute full lock to the right or left I don't know if I would worry about it, but if it starts popping with the wheel say roughly 50% to the left or right I'd start figuring out which cv axle is bad and replace it.

Quick Reply: poping noise while turning in 4x4 hi or low