Lift Kit Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Kit Advice

Hi guys, I was just wondering what a good quality, not through the roof priced lift kit is. I am looking to get 3-4" of lift, but really do not want to get a body lift. I was thinking about the torsion keys, but after reading what people had to say about them, I have decided against that. If I just decide to crank up the torsion bars, how is the ride quality affected? I am looking at buying a 1998 F-150 Supercab 5.4L 4x4, but do not have it yet. So right now, I am just doing my research. If you guys have any pictures of a lift kit versus just cranking up the torsion bars, that would help too. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Cranking the torsion bars will make the ride much stiffer. If you do a lot of off-roading, you'll want a true suspension lift.

See this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...ults-pics.html

Old 09-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks. I don't have the truck yet, and there is really nowhere where I live to offroad, but I can find places, so I may be ok with just cranking the torsion bars, but just for my general knowledge: Where is a quality place to get a good/decent lift for a decent price?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by fishsniper
Thanks. I don't have the truck yet, and there is really nowhere where I live to offroad, but I can find places, so I may be ok with just cranking the torsion bars, but just for my general knowledge: Where is a quality place to get a good/decent lift for a decent price?
I've used this analogy before, getting a "good" lift is like asking for "good" BBQ. You'll get 100 different "good" answers. Basically you can't go wrong with, BDS, Rancho, Pro Comp, or Rize. There are probably more good companies, but these came off the top of my head. I highly suggest you use the "Search" tool to sift through the forums and find out what people are saying about these and other lifts.

Regardless, a good suspension lift will start at around $2,000 without install. Yes you can find deals, but expect to pay at least this much.

EDIT: $2,000 starting price for a 2009/2010 lift kit, from a quick Google search, you can probably get one for your year model for less than that. Where to buy you ask? Most local shops can order it for you...or from hundreds of online shops....

Last edited by ncTidalWave; 09-25-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:39 AM
I did a bunch of reasearch on this topic my self, then decided to ask my friend whom has many years of building "rock crawlers" & custom modified FWD's. He ran a very successful business and has knowledge & experience way beyond mine ( which is very little ). He said and I quote " stay with the name brands that have been around " the weaker companies have & will go under . He just lifted his F-250 with a Ready Lift and he liked the components he recieved. He also mentioned Pro Comp as a good 1. With that advice I just put a ReadyLift on my 2010 F150. Not to badmouth any others like Rancho but I took what he recommended and used his advice, the ReadyLift had very good instructions w/pics. The only thing I didn't like was the box it came in said " made in Tiawan ". Hope that helps, you can also google ReadyLift and open the pdf instructions on many sites that sell them,just to view what the procedure is and what tools you might need.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I checked out Ready Lift and they don't have any lifts for a 1998. Pro Comp did, but they wanted what I thought was too much.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem I have with ReadyLift is that they sell kits that are virtually identical to other companies, but their price is usually twice as much. They make a quality product, but why would you pay over $200 for a metal spacer that other companies sell for less than $100?

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The new rough country kit is only like a 1000. Several people are running it here. I personally am using a rcd kit and it's great.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Thats what I was thinking that I am going to have to end up doing, but the only thing is saving up that much and convincing my mom to let me. Thats why I was looking for something cheaper, but the only thing cheaper is the torsion keys, and everyone is having problems with those.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 AM
get a body lift man! cost less than 200!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:42 AM
I just dont like the way there is a gap between the body and the frame. That's why I wasn't really considering a body lift.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by fishsniper
I just dont like the way there is a gap between the body and the frame. That's why I wasn't really considering a body lift.
Its not bad man!! Look here is pic of my truck.. doesnt even have gap guards.Thats gapping it out
\

You can always buy gap guards or weld a piece of metal up in the gap.. nobody will ever know.. I just choose not to care about the gaps

Old 09-26-2010, 12:49 AM
thats why they make gap guards, to cover up the space. i just put some on mine today.

here is my truck with just a BL and no gap guards, its not that noticable

Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Is there more body roll with this as opposed to a suspension lift? Does the ride change with a body lift?

Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 AM
here is a pic where you can see through it

hell, i just bought gap guards for my truck after having the body lift for 3 years!

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Advice