Firestone Air Bags.. How much flex is capable with them? Pics of current

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestone Air Bags.. How much flex is capable with them? Pics of current

Hi guys,

I want to know if anybody here is running the bags and experienced any decrease in flex. I have a couple pics of my truck parked in a driveway that flexes my suspension. Would I be able to have the same flex? Or would I be putting a lot of stress on the air bags.

If you guys have any pics of your airbags installed and truck flexed I would appreciate it!

My current flex no bags:

Old 10-27-2009, 01:37 AM
bags are best for towing on flat ground, they can rip quite easily once you start flexing the rear suspension. IMO a truck in stock form is capable of towing/hauling what it is rated for...if you need bags u need a bigger truck.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
bags are best for towing on flat ground, they can rip quite easily once you start flexing the rear suspension. IMO a truck in stock form is capable of towing/hauling what it is rated for...if you need bags u need a bigger truck.
Well my truck can handle the load that I give it but I use it for work and have 500-600 pounds in the bed all the time and get sick of the sag. Especially since I only have the 3 total leafs. I would only run the bags at like 15 psi to regain the sag and give my leafs longer life.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:47 AM
check your suspension travel... find a bag that will accomidate that much travel.

jack the rear of the the frame up untill both tires come off the ground. then measure from bumpstop to top of axle housing... thats your maximum travel. if your airbag doesnt travel that far it will have a good posibility of ripping.

Most air kits will mount to your frame and leafspring. therefore the travel is much less. I would almost be certain that if they offer a kit. It will be have sufficent travel to cover a stock truck.

Last edited by 1fast4.6; 10-27-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by 1fast4.6
check your suspension travel... find a bag that will accomidate that much travel.

jack the rear of the the frame up untill both tires come off the ground. then measure from bumpstop to top of axle housing... thats your maximum travel. if your airbag doesnt travel that far it will have a good posibility of ripping.

Most air kits will mount to your frame and leafspring. therefore the travel is much less. I would almost be certain that if they offer a kit. It will be have sufficent travel to cover a stock truck.
I am pretty sure the kit from Firestone comes with only one size bag? I don't think they have an air bag that would support full flex since that would be one tall air bag and raise the rear a ton with any psi. I could be totally wrong though... any other thoughts people?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:30 PM
The firestone kit mounts from bumpstop to axle.

I wonder if something like SuperSprings would be a better alternative? Would that route maintain factory flex?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:45 PM
The firestone kit mounts from bumpstop to axle.

I wonder if something like SuperSprings would be a better alternative? Would that route maintain factory flex?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:16 PM
this was my old rig that had airlift bags.....the bags were flexed in every which way and they did just fine, they won't tear I am sure....but you will get flex outta them. I was running 2800's up front and 2600's in the back

Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I can see that you probably had them flex a lot but I wonder with a truck that isn't lowered that flexs more would handle it?

I have the option of either these firstone air bags or use supersprings aal's. Not sure which way would be best.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I'd probably go 1.5" AAL

Old 10-29-2009, 11:45 AM
I ended up returning the air bags to my supplier and ordered the SuperSprings SSA8's.

Quick Reply: Firestone Air Bags.. How much flex is capable with them? Pics of current