43k..time for new shocks..Bilsteins? Install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
43k..time for new shocks..Bilsteins? Install?

Hey All..

I have a 2007 4.6 2WD F150 with a level kit..I have 43k miles on her and I KNOW she needs new shocks..I have read a lot of good things about the Bilsteins..I do have a few questions though..

-I installed the coil spacer level kit myself, and was hoping to do the same with the shocks..Am I crazy, or should I just take it in to a shop? (I know the rear should be easy....)

-Anyone got an idea on a model # for this truck..?

-Will I get more lift out of my front and rear by installing these? Will an Add a Leaf be necessary?

-Anyone have an idea on pricing for install on fronts?

-Is there a thread or sticky that goes through an install?

My truck seems to jump on the road and I know these stock shocks are sh$t..Time to change em..

Any help would be great!

Thanks again..

Ryan

Old 09-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I installed bilsteins on my truck earlier this year, before doing it I searched all over on line to get all of the info that I could. I've done alot of mechanical work on in my life , but I had never replaced shocks. After searching around and hearing how some people struggled for hours in some cases, they came up with answers that really helped me. My 4x4 suspension is stock, I replaced the fronts in about a half hour, they were easy. I read the rears were where people got stuck, I had an old shock in hand eight min's after starting to jack up that side, I just cut away the protective boot, held the bare rod by two side by side vice grips [one would slip] and removed the nut no problem. Installing the bilsteins were no problem, search for the how to install new bilsteins on f150 on line, pic's and all. You can do it.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Yea i have rebuilt vw engines, worked on motorcycles, and have done (helped) do suspension lifts...Just didnt want to get in over my head and wanted to make sure I had all the necessary tools...I am assuming I will need a spring compressor...anything else out of the ordinary???

Thanks again !!!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I am thinking of getting the bilsteins also. They seem to be very good. I know for sure you need a spring compressor and I've heard a lot of guys say you need a very heavy duty compressor. If you are getting the 5100's then you could use them to level your truck and take your leveling kit out...or you could leave the shocks at the stock setting and leave the leveling kit on. The fronts are adjustable up to 2inches and the rears are adjustable up to 1 inch so there would be no need for an add a leaf.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
dogit - your info does not apply here because you have a very different model truck. The fronts on 04+ F150's are significantly harder than the rears. Rears should take no more than 15 minutes per side.

Fronts will require a heavy duty spring compressor. If you installed your spacer yourself then you could always remove the strut assembly again, and bring it to a shop to swap the coil onto your new strut.

The 5100 front struts will give you the option to raise your front 2" (eliminating the need for the spacer) but the rear shocks DO NOT give you 1" of lift. The shock has nothing to do with ride height so it will not change when you do the swap.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by renaud

but the rear shocks DO NOT give you 1" of lift. The shock has nothing to do with ride height so it will not change when you do the swap.
Really? I have always heard that you could adjust them for 1 inch.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 PM
well i got off the phone with Victor at Bilstein's a few minutes ago (super nice guy BTW)....Sounds like my best route is to install the 5100 all the way around and remove the coil spacer..I may just save my pennies and take it to the shop to install the fronts and do the rear myself...I got some time..Brakes first..

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, it seems like a lot of guys let a shop install the fronts. I need to do my brakes also.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM
seems like it will be worth the money...

Brakes..I am thinking of going with Ceramic pads...any feedback on that? recommendations?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 PM
I hear good things about Hawk Ceramic pads. I bought the Wagner Thermo quiets today for $52. They were the best option from the local parts store. However, I am thinking of returning them and ordering some ceramics, they supposely cut down on brake dust. Also, I dont know about you but I might get some new rotors. brakeperformance seems to have some nice dimpled and sloted rotors.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
how many miles on your truck? Are you changing fronts and rear? I looked at the local parts sore and they had some ceramics for $60..may give em a try...I believe they are Duralast Gold..Any word on those?

Old 09-16-2009, 09:18 PM
I have 52K on my truck and I was just changing the fronts but I'm thinking about changing all of it now. I don't know much about the Duralast Gold, but $60 for ceramics doesn't seem too bad.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 PM
yea with these florida blue haired drivers I do a lot of braking....i am going to pick them up in the morning..I'll post the results..Hopefully have them done by noonish.....
Let me know how yours turn out as well!

thanks again..

Ryan

Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 PM
btw..autozone is where I saw the Duralast ceramics...

Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
I definitely will, you'll probably get finish before me. It is supposed to rain all week. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 43k..time for new shocks..Bilsteins? Install?