question on installing big lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on installing big lift kit

hey there. first thread, and first question.

i recently installed a 3" body lift on my 03 f150. i am about to start college and am planning on installing a 6" suspension and bigger tires. my parents told me if i do that my bumper or something becomes to high up and it has to be named as an offroad vehicle, and when that happens it raises the insurance. my question is that true or are my parents just trying to persuade me not to get it? i also live in houston tx if that helps,
thanks,

Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
i've never heard of them naming it an off road vehicle but yes your rates could go up i presume. also a lot of insurance companies won't cover lifted vehicles. with that being said, GET IT. haha

Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 PM
They're full of crap. How would your insurance company even know that you lifted it? There is no category in the traffic code for an "offroad vehicle". I don't know for a fact whether or not TX has lift laws, but I know that a 9" total lift won't get you near it.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by CountryPunk
They're full of crap. How would your insurance company even know that you lifted it? There is no category in the traffic code for an "offroad vehicle". I don't know for a fact whether or not TX has lift laws, but I know that a 9" total lift won't get you near it.
if you get in a wreck when the insurance company checks out the damage and they see you have a lift some companies will NOT cover the damage since the vehicle has an altered suspension.

to OP just make sure you check the fine print on your coverage first then you should be all good.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats b/s

DO IT!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Don't tell the insurance company its lifted they will never know unless you wreck but hopefully that will never happen. Never heard of the classification of an off road vehicle by the insurance company. I have a K5 with a 2in body and 6in lift but they don't know that its lifted. Raise that truck up!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by tyebo168
Don't tell the insurance company its lifted they will never know unless you wreck but hopefully that will never happen. Never heard of the classification of an off road vehicle by the insurance company. I have a K5 with a 2in body and 6in lift but they don't know that its lifted. Raise that truck up!
Oh yeah by all means I want you to lift it but just check your coverage first. If you don't tell them and you get in a wreck. Then you have to pay out of your pocket.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
alright thanks guys ill probably check with the insurance company before otherwise im just gonna do it, im already leaving and starting my own life so they cant get mad but only thing im worried about is insurance going up cause i pay for everything, but how much do you guys think it will go up?

Quick Reply: question on installing big lift kit