AAL Install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and just so TLT knows i did it right and didn't give him wrong info heres part of install instructions:
9) Use C-clamps on either side of the center pin to hold
the rear spring fi rmly together. Remove the center pin
and release the C-clamps to allow the leaf pack to
spread open.
10. Install the provided add-a-leaf in the leaf pack so that
the leaf above is longer and the leaf below is shorter.
11. Use the C-clamps to compress the leaf pack in the
same manner as before and install the provided
center pin. Do not draw the leaf pack together with the
center pin. Torque the center pin to 25 ft-lbs. Cut off
any excess center pin.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:55 PM
You guys are talking about different add a leaf lengths.

The procomps are long add a leafs for better ride. They are not the short stiff guys.

With the procomp you really have to take the pack apart and slide it in.

I just did this install, getting those metal alignment clips open is a huge pain in the ***. I had to use a 4 foot breaker bar to bend the c-clamps open. I took the flat end and wedged it under the clips and then bent them open. I also used a smaller 3 pound sledge hammer.
With the c-clamps open, I lowered the leafs away from the top spring, and then took them off my truck. I installed the new procomp spring, re-greased the leafs, and installed them back onto the truck.

Here is the fun part, you need to bang the crap out of those c-clamps to get them to close again. In some spots you can use a c-clamp to press them closed. Just make sure you have a smaller sledge hammer.

The truck rides amazing with them installed. I've used the shorter add a leafs on other trucks in the past and the ride always sucked. These longer guys are great.

Last edited by sbchris; 11-01-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Ok so just to get this straight then, my AAL installs in between the longest spring and the spring with the clip? The order from top to bottom goes like this: Helper spring, existing spring w/ clip, AAL and longest spring?

That all makes sense and I will let you guys know how it goes. Gonne maybe attempt it next week after I get my new squeek pads from the dealer.

Thanks again everybody!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Leafs get stacked shortist to longest end of story. If the c-clip is in the way it needs to be removed and you need to get new ones!!!! the c-clip should NOT be in the midel of the two leafs. That is wrong!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:15 PM
You can't remove the clips and you can't get new ones. They are welded to the bottom of the leaf spring. The Procomp add a leaf gets stacked under the first leaf spring, and thus goes into the c-clips alignment pack. It is one heck of a long leaf. I can get a picture of the install if you would like to see how they fit back in with the clips.

You should also use a shim kit with an add a leaf if you are lifted to avoid those wacky drive line angles.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Has anyone used the AS add-A-leafs? I just ordered a set and was wondering if these are the long or short type and how the ride is.

HYPO

Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Boy, no one here has the AS AAL's? I thought since the leveling kits were so popular, someone might have the AAL's as well.

HYPO

Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by tlt008
Ok so just to get this straight then, my AAL installs in between the longest spring and the spring with the clip? The order from top to bottom goes like this: Helper spring, existing spring w/ clip, AAL and longest spring?

That all makes sense and I will let you guys know how it goes. Gonne maybe attempt it next week after I get my new squeek pads from the dealer.

Thanks again everybody!
It depends on whether you have the short or long add a leaf. You'll know pretty quick once you put it up to your existing spring stack. So if it's the long aal then from top to bottom it will go main leaf, aal, clip leaf and then overload.

Edit: The squeak pads aren't going to do you much good from the dealer unless the aal has the same hole punched in the end and you can buy them from your local spring shop much easier.

Last edited by KansasJoe; 11-03-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Just so everyone knows, I got my hands on ProComps install instructions today and it verifies what most of you have said. It says specifically that leaves should always be stacked in order of length. Because their spring for the F150's are longer, they get inserted in between the top spring and the one with the clips. That's not to say that 06yz250f's are installed wrong. That is just what ProComp says for their AAL's.

Thanks for all of the info guys. Hopefully this helps others out in the future!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Suspended
i actually re-looked at the instructions to double check earlier today, and still says their right. and also the little pads that were installed on the leaf would not allow it to going into that piece. and their shorter than the leaf above them so if their welded on there is no way for it to work correctly.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by HYPO
Has anyone used the AS add-A-leafs? I just ordered a set and was wondering if these are the long or short type and how the ride is.

HYPO
I just installed a set on my 04 screw this weekend. Put them on by myself and it was easy. I love em, the instructions said they would raise the rear 1.5 to 2" and it raised my truck 1.75". The ride is great, slightly stiffer than stock but hey, its a freakin truck not a caddy.

And for the problem others are having with the procomps, the AS springs are about 1" shorter than where the clips are so no rubbing on the clips. There is a short side and a long side to the spring so installing it there is a front and back. There is no need to grease the spring since there are poly pads on each end of the springs where they touch the spring above.

I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend them to anyone.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
i actually re-looked at the instructions to double check earlier today, and still says their right. and also the little pads that were installed on the leaf would not allow it to going into that piece. and their shorter than the leaf above them so if their welded on there is no way for it to work correctly.
Looking at your picture you previously posted it's obviously installed incorrectly. You either have it in backwards or you got sent the wrong aal. The clips are riveted to the spring and not welded. The pads aren't designed to rub against the clip but to prevent squeaking and friction on the leaf above.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by KansasJoe
Looking at your picture you previously posted it's obviously installed incorrectly. You either have it in backwards or you got sent the wrong aal. The clips are riveted to the spring and not welded. The pads aren't designed to rub against the clip but to prevent squeaking and friction on the leaf above.
the older style leafs would not fit on the NBS. the 2 holes wouldn't line up. and the leafs are the same distance both directions. i have been offroading pleanty of times and leaves have not shifted, or screwed up at all. i guess ill talk to the shop that installed my lift (they did not install my AAL) and see what they say and if it is wrong fix it while im home. and also the added leaf is shorter than the leaf above so....

Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm not talking about the 97-03 style because that's a single hole, what I'm talking about is the 04-05 F150's had a 4 leaf design and then it was switched to a 3 leaf so yours could be designed for the 4 leaf. Your best bet would be to cut your aal down a couple of inches so it's not riding under the clip but flush against the leaf above.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by KansasJoe
I'm not talking about the 97-03 style because that's a single hole, what I'm talking about is the 04-05 F150's had a 4 leaf design and then it was switched to a 3 leaf so yours could be designed for the 4 leaf. Your best bet would be to cut your aal down a couple of inches so it's not riding under the clip but flush against the leaf above.
ok so if i decided to cut them down, could i cut them while they were on the truck? or is the pressure against the leafs to much? and atleast i installed them right. im so confused now, bds site still says those are the right ones. could anything happen if i left them how they are? they have been on for like 6 months, and i have offroaded and put them under more stress than just driving around.

Quick Reply: AAL Install question