Want to add 44" tires. How?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you go bigger, you wont be able to clear them. i know it looks like it has alot of room but once you turn they will rub.

Im running 37's on a 6" lift and they rub alot. 8" of lift will clear 37's.

there is a pic of mine, i tell people all the time the tires rb and they just dont seem to understand how. until i show them haha.

If you really wanna break the bank, you have 5G's coming for the christmas bonus, just save up a hundo a week here and there and you should have a couple more bucks, swing for the 12" rize and you can clear 40's. heres a pic

Thats my future plans for my truck. Im regearing in a couple of weeks then, in going to get a body lift a set of coil-overs, crank them and the rize 11" leaf back for my rear and run some 40's. hopefully ill have this set up by this time next year.

Last edited by Eff One Fifty; 10-03-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by FL4X4

And once again for a sunday driver i still believe even with 2.73 rear end, regearing is unnecessary

You will destroy your trans with out regearing and running tire that big of tire with that ratio. Just to get moving, your truck is going to strain hard ! But, the OP did mention its a pavement pounder, so it might work, but I would HIGHLY suggest a re-gear.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:07 PM

And once again for a sunday driver i still believe even with 2.73 rear end, regearing is unnecessary
I will stand by this statement forever

Originally Posted by WVstxFord
yes sir, thats what i was looking for.. and it looks great.. just wish the tires were a little bigger..
I wouldn't cut those tires short...I don't know how many lifted trucks you've been around but they are a lot bigger in person, mine are about waist high

Last edited by FL4X4; 10-03-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:23 PM

I wouldn't cut those tires short...I don't know how many lifted trucks you've been around but they are a lot bigger in person, mine are about waist high
have you driven a truck with huge tires and a high gear ratio? I drove my truck on 38's with the stock 3.55 gears for a few weeks and it sucked. No passing power, the truck couldn't get out of its own way. Not to mention I know it was a huge strain on the tranny, it kept wanting to shift in and out of gears and just ran badly. I couldn't begin to imagine how bad it would be with something like a 2.73 ratio. I don't care if you drive it once every 6 months, it's going to suck badly.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Go for it. You just don't quite understand how it all works, do ya ?

How long have you been working on cars ? how many trucks have you built ? And how many off road buggies have you built ? Alright, thanks anyways.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by _cashel
have you driven a truck with huge tires and a high gear ratio? I drove my truck on 38's with the stock 3.55 gears for a few weeks and it sucked. No passing power, the truck couldn't get out of its own way. Not to mention I know it was a huge strain on the tranny, it kept wanting to shift in and out of gears and just ran badly. I couldn't begin to imagine how bad it would be with something like a 2.73 ratio. I don't care if you drive it once every 6 months, it's going to suck badly.
If your only traveling down hill..... it might work ??

Old 10-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
If your only traveling down hill..... it might work ??
I think you'd have a better 0-60 if you just threw it in neutral and let it coast down hill

Old 10-03-2008, 03:18 PM

I think you guys are misunderstanding where I'm coming from. I didn't say there would be no strain on his tranny and I didnt say he wouldn't lose power.

All I'm saying is for the $5000 he has to spend on a truck he only plans to drive on sundays for about 1500 miles per year I think spending the $1500 on a regear is unnecessary, which is what I said from the begining.

I mean isn't all he wants is a nice looking truck to cruise in on the weekend?

I would only regear if i planned to drive it daily, tow or off road

Old 10-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm mostly just givin ya a hard time. And I do see what your saying, and if it was something like 3.55, I would agree with you. I think your underestimating what a PIG his truck would be with those gears and larger tires. Its going to be horrible. Getting on the highway, trying to pass people, hauling any heavy load (lets say he wants to move), etc. He wouldn't be able to do much of anything, and it could end up being plain dangerous entering the highway at 30-40 MPH on a shorter on-ramp. If he wants it for "cool factor" (nothing wrong with that) then I would think he would at least want some power in the truck. Even hangin with your buddies, if your truck is THAAAAAAT big of a pud, your gunna get made fun of canstantly. Your transmission will not last long, and a trans repair, even for a vehicle only seeing 1500 miles a year, costs plenty. It will cost more in the long run, so you will not save any money. He could even regear just the rear, since I doubt he will ever use 4x4, and he can change the front gearing later on, when he has the spare cash. I run the 3.73 gears and I will be going to 4.88 here shortly, along with my Gryphon that is currently in the mail, in a big brown truck. I couldn't imagine trying to be proud of a truck that can't move (but might look pretty).

Also, just a side note, its not good to be driving your vehicle so little. Engines were meant to be run, vehicles meant to be driven. Seals dry up, and a myriad of other issues come up when you are letting your rig sit for so long. Might want to look into proper storage techniques.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I dont have time to drive it but on sundays.. and then some times it doesnt get driven at all in an entire month.

Dont hate me cause I dont know anything about big trucks.. lol

Im trying to get your opinions because i really want to learn and I really want to make this look nice. It will never ever ever be mudded, but it will tow a 3500lb ski boat.

So I am open for suggestions.. that is why I joined this forum.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by WVstxFord
I dont have time to drive it but on sundays.. and then some times it doesnt get driven at all in an entire month.

Dont hate me cause I dont know anything about big trucks.. lol

Im trying to get your opinions because i really want to learn and I really want to make this look nice. It will never ever ever be mudded, but it will tow a 3500lb ski boat.

So I am open for suggestions.. that is why I joined this forum.
No worries man, I may come off as an *** (just how I am ) but I don't hate you. We all started somewhere, ya know ? And thats exactly what these forums are for, to help ya learn.

driving it on sundays wouldn't be too bad, but take it out on a nice long cruise. Engines last longer and do better when they are allowed to stretch a little. You don't have to every sunday, but I would at least try and plan for one "driving sunday" once a month. Just a tip.

As for the lift, towing etc etc etc. Have you tried towing with your current set-up yet ?

I would start saving up some money now. Along with the bonus, the money you save now will help for things you just can't predict. I would plan on a simple 6" lift, something like a Fabtech basic lift, or the Pro-Comp stage 1 lift. I would pick out some decent tires, something like Pro-comps extreme all terrain (looks real aggressive, but will last a long time on the street) and some wheels you like. That along will be close to $4k plus install (install should be around $500 or so, shop around and find out in your area, also, I wouldn't suggest using a 4wheelparts center). After that, I would hope you had saved up enough money to re-gear. Go to a reputable rear end shop, and have them install either 4.56 or 4.88's in your differentials (looking at about $1500 ). Once that is done, I then would save up for misc things, such as a cold air intake, exhaust, a tuner, Mag-hytech style dif cover, and Mag Hytech Deep Dish transmission pan. Help keep things running cooler. After that, its whatever your heart desires, such as stereo, and appearence mods. Thats how I would do it, if I were you.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the advice mt, i will look into that in my area.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MercedesTech
No worries man, I may come off as an *** (just how I am ) but I don't hate you. We all started somewhere, ya know ? And thats exactly what these forums are for, to help ya learn.

driving it on sundays wouldn't be too bad, but take it out on a nice long cruise. Engines last longer and do better when they are allowed to stretch a little. You don't have to every sunday, but I would at least try and plan for one "driving sunday" once a month. Just a tip.

As for the lift, towing etc etc etc. Have you tried towing with your current set-up yet ?

I would start saving up some money now. Along with the bonus, the money you save now will help for things you just can't predict. I would plan on a simple 6" lift, something like a Fabtech basic lift, or the Pro-Comp stage 1 lift. I would pick out some decent tires, something like Pro-comps extreme all terrain (looks real aggressive, but will last a long time on the street) and some wheels you like. That along will be close to $4k plus install (install should be around $500 or so, shop around and find out in your area, also, I wouldn't suggest using a 4wheelparts center). After that, I would hope you had saved up enough money to re-gear. Go to a reputable rear end shop, and have them install either 4.56 or 4.88's in your differentials (looking at about $1500 ). Once that is done, I then would save up for misc things, such as a cold air intake, exhaust, a tuner, Mag-hytech style dif cover, and Mag Hytech Deep Dish transmission pan. Help keep things running cooler. After that, its whatever your heart desires, such as stereo, and appearence mods. Thats how I would do it, if I were you.
I agree

Old 10-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I agree
X3 Good Luck Man!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 PM
2.73 + large tires= Roasted tranny = EXPENSIVE

4.88's might be expensive but they will save you in the long run.

Just start buyin parts when you have all then install or have installed:
12" RIZE lift
3" Body Lift
44" Super Swamper Boggers (MOST AGGRESSIVE TIRE YOU WILL FIND)
Wheels
4.88 gears
CAI
Headers, full exhaust (something better than Flowmaster)
Programmer

I dont care if you drive your truck 100 miles a month that 1200 miles a year will kill your trans and over work your engine. And cost you TONS of money.

Quick Reply: Want to add 44" tires. How?