Now I'm REALLY confused....torsion cranking????

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm REALLY confused....torsion cranking????

I just got off the phone with a local alignment shop, and contrary to what I've read here, they tell me that the MAXIMUM lift I could get out of cranking the torsion bars on my 98 F150 would be 1/2". Is this true or did this guy smoke his breakfast?

Then he REALLY threw me for a loop! I asked him how much he'd charge to crank the TBs and realign it, and he said "Probably $49.99 plus tax....that is if you don't need the special camber shims. If you need those, just the shims will cost you $120."

Is this guy nuts, correct, or is he just trying to lift a few extra bucks off me?

Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by DewserB
I just got off the phone with a local alignment shop, and contrary to what I've read here, they tell me that the MAXIMUM lift I could get out of cranking the torsion bars on my 98 F150 would be 1/2". Is this true or did this guy smoke his breakfast?

Then he REALLY threw me for a loop! I asked him how much he'd charge to crank the TBs and realign it, and he said "Probably $49.99 plus tax....that is if you don't need the special camber shims. If you need those, just the shims will cost you $120."

Is this guy nuts, correct, or is he just trying to lift a few extra bucks off me?
Each truck is different but I think you can expect more than just a 1/2" of lift by cranking your t-bars if they haven't been cranked already. Depending on how high you go, most people get about 2" of lift. That seems to level (or come close to leveling) the front end with the back on the 97-03 4x4 models.

An alignment will run you about $50 give or take, but I have never heard of anyone needing special camber shims. I've cranked them on 2 different vehicles, my old 2000 and my current 2003. I got about 2" of lift on each, never had any problems.

Personally, I would crank them and then go to a different shop and get an alignment. I'm not saying this guy is trying to rip you off, but I can promise you that I trust the word of this forum more than I do any mechanic.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:32 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Gotcha. I'll probably just do it myself then. I just hope I don't completely jack it up. The guys here make it sound pretty simple though.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by DewserB
Gotcha. I'll probably just do it myself then. I just hope I don't completely jack it up. The guys here make it sound pretty simple though.
It is, just don't overcrank them.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:44 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by jk007
It is, just don't overcrank them.
Aha. Now how does one know when he's approaching the "over-cranked" stage? I'm assuming it's obvious? I'm also assuming this can only be done with the front jacked up...tires off the ground?

You know what's funny? I just spoke with 2 different "off road" shops, and both said I'd stand to gain 1-2", and I probably wouldn't need a realignment. Their prices to crank the TBs were just $30 too. The alignment shops all said I'd DEFINITELY need a realignment, I'd only get 1/2" maximum lift, and I'd possibly need a cam kit. One of the alignment shops even said the change gained from the cranking is only temporary?? The cheapest an alignment shop would crank the TBs for was $60, and if I needed the "cam kit" I'd have to add at least $50.

WOW! I'm just gonna do it myself...sink or swim. If it works, FANTASTIC! If not, I'm no worse off than I was.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:13 PM
I didn't jack the front up when I did mine, but they can be a little difficult to do. If you have a cheater bar you can put on the end of the rachet, it will help.

An alignment is highly recommended. Anytime you mess with your T-bars, you should get one.

As far as overcranking them goes, just do each side an equal # of times. Once you crawl under there, you'll see how much room you have to work with. 3 or 4 complete revoltions should get you about 1 1/2 -2" of lift. But again, make sure you are keeping an eye on things because every truck is different. I remember having to crank my 2000 more than my 2003 to achieve the same look.

I'm sure someone else will chime with some input also. But it's not really that big of a deal IMO. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You will definately need an alignment!

I had to go up about 1.5 inches on my old Chevy to get it level and it worked great.

Just crank them till it's level then take it into the shop for an alignment.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:25 PM
I just cranked mine a week or so ago and got about an 1 1/2" out of and it looks so good im not gonna use my leveling keys. I got under the truck, sprayed the bolts with some lube and used a nice long handle breaker bar and cranked em. Didnt even put a jack under it. An alignment would definitely be a good idea though after words. If thats not enough lift, you can always buy my torsion keys...

Old 08-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to rain on your parade, but torsion keys ARE NOT RECOMMENDED for use on these trucks. They are rekeyed to allow you to crank much higher than the stock keys, and thus, put too much strain on the front suspension. The highest I would go is as far as you could crank them w/ the stock keys. I have ran my truck for two years w/ the stock keys cranked fully up, and no issues. I will say that my cv angles are a little less than ideal though.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:07 AM
I lifted my front end when I did it, made it a lot easier. I did 3 full turns got about 1" out of it. I did need an alignment, I also needed shims ($65), cost me about $200 total. That was back in May 2003, never had any problems. Also remember to take a marker or crayon and mark the bolt head so you know where it started.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by wandell
I agree.
LOL! wandell's standard reply.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When someones right, they're right.
Also, I believe the shop is refering to adjustable camber bolts. Most trucks don't need them but a few do. They are available at most parts stores for around $40. You can look them up at Advance Auto's website or any of the big chain stores.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

wandell...you know I was only joshin'. And thanks for the info!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by krusedisc
I just cranked mine a week or so ago and got about an 1 1/2" out of and it looks so good im not gonna use my leveling keys. I got under the truck, sprayed the bolts with some lube and used a nice long handle breaker bar and cranked em. Didnt even put a jack under it. An alignment would definitely be a good idea though after words. If thats not enough lift, you can always buy my torsion keys...
you wanna sell them keys?

Quick Reply: Now I'm REALLY confused....torsion cranking????