Straight Axle???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minimonster17
what i meant to convey was that an improperly performed fabrication setup can be very dangerous. something to be aware of. if you want to pay someone to do it right, it will cost you. if you can do it yourself, more power to you.

fwiw, i agree that builds like you posted links to are awesome.
but remeber a suspension lift installed wrong can be dangerous also! just something to think about~

Old 07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
what i meant to convey was that an improperly performed fabrication setup can be very dangerous. something to be aware of. if you want to pay someone to do it right, it will cost you. if you can do it yourself, more power to you.

fwiw, i agree that builds like you posted links to are awesome.
of course, improper anything can be dangerous ! Tightening your lug nuts "improperly" will pose a danger. Proper fab work can be done and made stronger then factory, thats why you don't see prfesional rock crawlers wheeling an F250 (among a chit load of other reasons)

Also, the OP asked about a "kit" . I hope your not looking for bolt on. I wouldn't suggest bolt on suspension for any hard off roading. (Proper) Welding can produce a much stronger suspension platform.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:36 PM
heres the 97-03 SAS very nice truck KUNTRYKID. Id love to do this with my truck. Maybe a little less lift just eough to clear 38's

Old 07-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Whiteghost
If you want a 1/2 ton straight axle look at the Dodge Ram 1500s 4x4 from the 90s, you get a solid axle right out of the box.

Also the f250 has a solid front axle.

Or consider older Chevy / GMC pickups, or older Ford F150s.

Conversion is going to cost a fortune and probably won't be streatable. Sell it and get another truck with a solid front axle. Or buy a jeep if you want to off road alot.
I've completed a few solid axlde swaps. I offroad an Explorer and it is a very common mod to do on our rigs. Depending on the complexity, yes it CAN cost a fortune, but then again using salvage parts, friends with fab skills, and proper planning, you could pull it off very economically in just a few nights work.

But why would you say it isn't streetable? I've never had a problem.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look at the picture of the white SAS truck posted. some would say a lift like that is not very streetable. also, i read that the minimum SAS on a 97-03 F-150 requires 6'' of lift. is that true?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:58 PM
it all depends theres a TON of different size leaf packs. but id say if you are going to do it then why not get 8-10" of lift out of it? Thats all id want/ need! Ive seen bigger lifts then that on IFS that are streetable. BIG lifts are more stable when couple on a SFS

Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was just wondering, that's all. for personal knowledge. i think i read somewhere that a min. of 6'' of lift is required to clear the front crossmember.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:05 PM
id think you would have to have some amount of lift! the crossmemer is right there

Old 07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Suspended
Alright guys, lets stop bickering, there's been way too much lately. Lets all have a group hug.

Originally Posted by MercedesTech
ts why you don't see prfesional rock crawlers wheeling an F250 (among a chit load of other reasons)
I don't see any F150s, either ...

Old 07-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113

I don't see any F150s, either ...

I just posted one. Lewisbest.

No, you got me there, pro's don't use this chit, but I have seen competitions with F150's.
If you hang out over on Pirate often, you've seen quite a few. I have only seen a couple out on the trail. And, I actually have seen an F250 PSD on the rocks at a local comp. Made it through and didn't break. Just looked so damn outta place in that mess.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 07-01-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Suspended
There's always a few of those "weirdos" trying to run trucks like that on the rocks.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Suspended
i was just wondering, that's all. for personal knowledge. i think i read somewhere that a min. of 6'' of lift is required to clear the front crossmember.
Yeah usually you need to leave room for the axle to move up and down as a whole. The oil pans also get in the way in some cases, all depends on make, model and year

Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 AM
I can make a "fab job" much better then factory. Far superior to their off road ability. maybe I don't want that HUGE Superduty, I like the look of the 150, like the size and the whole platform. Some people like to build, not buy. Its just a different group of people, thats all. And I applaud them for their willingness to customize the truck they want.

I like the Suzuki Samurai, but I stretch them out, give em Yota axles, and mod them like crazy, basically leaving the Sami hood, and sometimes the T-case. Does that mean I shouldn't ? and just buy something else ? To each his own bud.
Amen. Real Off road trucks are built not bought... Unless you are buying a Unimog.

When I bought my 4runner I was actually looking for a samurai to throw some toyota axles under.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by BikerTrash
Amen. Real Off road trucks are built not bought... Unless you are buying a Unimog.

When I bought my 4runner I was actually looking for a samurai to throw some toyota axles under.
Unimog....

Last time up at our local OHV, one came out to play wearing 53" Michelins, it was a monster.

Ya, i am currently looking for some cheap and complete yota axles. Plan on gutting em, rebuilding properly, then setting them up for some links and sir shocks on my zuk. Til then, i'm just gunna keep twisted axles and grenading birf's

So, where ya from Biker ?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Unimog....

Last time up at our local OHV, one came out to play wearing 53" Michelins, it was a monster.

Ya, i am currently looking for some cheap and complete yota axles. Plan on gutting em, rebuilding properly, then setting them up for some links and sir shocks on my zuk. Til then, i'm just gunna keep twisted axles and grenading birf's

So, where ya from Biker ?
That sounds like one bad mog!

I am at the point where I need to get serious with my build on the 4runner every time I go out I break something new. Last time I was winching someone out and my parking brakes failed, and I pulled my front D-shaft apart 3 times. Got a Square D shaft built bust still working on setting up some line locks.

I am from south Louisiana, Got my 4runner on the trailer right now, me and the club I am in are going spend the 4th at a little OHV north of here called Deer Creek.

Nothing too wild but great for as flat as most of the state is it is really nice.

www.atvdirtbikerecreation.com

Last edited by BikerTrash; 07-03-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Straight Axle???????