Lowest price for 5100's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowest price for 5100's?

I'm putting the 2.5 AS level kit on, and
am going with Bilstein 5100's extra lenght.
My local 4X4 shop quoted me $136 each.
Any place cheaper ??

Thanks

Old 12-29-2007, 11:12 PM
That's a pretty good price. Got mine for $112 each on shockwarehouse.com witht the F150online discount a few months ago.

Side note, I'm not sure you can use lift from both the 5100s and the level spacer.. Even if you could, the angles would be too severe to drive. I'm pretty sure it won't work though.. They ride great as an addition to your ride but why not just use the 5100s for lift and better ride. Forget the spacer.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Texan Aviator
That's a pretty good price. Got mine for $112 each on shockwarehouse.com witht the F150online discount a few months ago.

Side note, I'm not sure you can use lift from both the 5100s and the level spacer.. Even if you could, the angles would be too severe to drive. I'm pretty sure it won't work though.. They ride great as an addition to your ride but why not just use the 5100s for lift and better ride. Forget the spacer.
Have you've leveled yours with just the 5100'S??
I thought they were just a shock, not used to level.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by VAUGHN22
Have you've leveled yours with just the 5100'S??
I thought they were just a shock, not used to level.
OK, I'm was refering to just the shock, you were talking about their adjustable shock, I get it now..

Thanks for the info

Old 12-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Yeah the adjustable 5100s shocks can be at stock ride height, 1" lift, or 2" lift. Pretty neat. I've never heard of a shock giving you lift but these can do it.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The shock does not give you lift. These are called coil-overs and the coil spring attaches to the shock to create one assembly. The rings that hold the coil spring in place are adjustable. Using one of these different settings changes the pre-load on the spring and this is what gives you the appearance of lift. I say the "appearance" of lift because it doesn't technically lift the truck.

For example...take your truck in it's current completely stock configuration. Let's say (since I don't know for sure and this is just to prove a point) the truck has 8" of suspension travel from full compression to full extension. Jack your truck up by the frame so the suspension is hanging free at the full extension point. When you let the truck down off the jack, the suspension settles 5" into its travel. This gives you your current, stock ride heigth. Now repeat this with the new Bilstein set at the 2" adjustment point. This has preloaded (compressed) the spring into its (the springs) initial movement. Now when you let the truck down off the jack the suspension will only settle 3" into its travel, giving the appearance of 2" of lift.

This differs from a lift kit in that for comparison sake, lets say someone made a 2" lift kit. With a lift kit, the suspension would still only have 8" of travel and when you let the truck down off the jack it would still sink 5" into it's travel (as in our original, stock example) but you still have your 2" of lift from the kit itself. Another difference worthy of note is that this is why angles are such a big deal with a leveling kit over a lift kit. A lift kit theoretically keeps stock angles, depending on the manufacturer obviously. The Bilstein adjusted to 2" has the same effect on angles and what not as a 2" spacer used for leveling. But, you obviously get the improved performance of a Bilstein shock when going this route.

There is also not a standard Bilstein available for the NBS trucks. The only Bilstein 5100 they make is the adjustable one, but like Texan said, you can use the 0", 1", or 2" settings.

Last edited by Galaxy; 12-30-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:22 AM
But what is eveybody using for front shocks with the level kit? What else is out there that rides better than OEM??

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VAUGHN22
But what is eveybody using for front shocks with the level kit? What else is out there that rides better than OEM??
You can use the Bilstein shock with a leveling kit as long as you leave it in the o position. Then it's no different than a stock shock...there's just no need to do this. Honestly, I personally don't know who makes a stock replacement shock for the front of these trucks yet...other than the Bilstein. From the reviews on the board here I don't think anybody really cares if there are others.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 PM
just use the stock shock......the as bolts on top the strut assembly which doesn't require a longer shock or anything. mine rides fine no need for bilsteins imho

Quick Reply: Lowest price for 5100's?