Problems Getting Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problems Getting Shocks

I am way overdue for shocks on my truck. They are still the factory ones, and three of them are leaking.

I want to get the Rancho RS5000s. But apparently because I have a 2" level on the front of my truck, I can't get them. Rancho doesn't make a shock for a 2" lift, just standard and 4". They said that the standard shocks will be too stretched out, but a mechanic friend of mine, who I trust, said it doesn't matter if I put stock size shocks on the truck. He said it will be fine.

What do I do? Can I just put the standard size shocks on?

Thanks...

Old 12-29-2007, 02:03 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
ummm if you have enough threads on the stock shocks (with spacer) that are already on the truck why would stock replacements not work?

or am i missing something.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, 2" doesn't sound like much on the surface but in this case you'd really need to measure to be sure. Technically, (without measuring) your friend is wrong. If you put a stock shock on a lifted truck, the shock is now too short when fully extended. What will happen is the shock will become fully extended before the suspension reaches full travel. Now you are 1, limiting the natural travel of your suspension and 2, using the shock as a limiting strap. Both bad, and both will lead to shock failure or breaking the shock or worse, the shock mount...which ever's weakest.

The front's kinda easy to measure though. A stock shock on a lifted truck may be too short, but you don't have to worry about it being too long. Jack the front of the truck up by the frame so the suspension (control arms) are hanging completely free and all the way to the bump stops. Measure the distance between the two shock mounts. Now measure your shock when fully extended, but don't forget to take into account where the bushings would be on the top in reference to the upper shock mount as if it were tightened in place. In other words, don't just measure to the very tip of the shock. Remember it sticks up through the mount a ways. You want to measure to a point on that upper shaft that would be centered with the upper mount. Did that make any sense?? The shock should be at least the same distance as the distance between the mounts, plus an inch or so for safe keeping.

Just for FYI while were on the subject...The opposite would be true if the shock was for a lifted truck and the truck had no lift. Now you don't have to worry about the shock being too short, you have to worry about it being too long. In this case you would never over extend the shock during full suspension extension but the shock would fully compress before the suspension reached the bump stop under suspension compression. This one is probably worse. Now the shock is taking full force on the impact and working just like 1 & 2 above (except 2 is now a bump stop instead of a limiting strap...but you get the idea)...and stuff will break!

Last edited by Galaxy; 12-29-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Problems Getting Shocks