Drive shaft re keying, help asap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive shaft re keying, help asap

I am installing a fabtech 6inch lift. i was wondering do you really need to rekey the front shaft. does it make that much difference? Also the instructions say to completely grind down the key but then the pic just shows it as if you ground out a slot. so if you do need to re key it do you or can u just grind that key entirly down? thanks

Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YES!! do the re-key. What you will do is take the shaft out... take the boot off and pull apart the shaft. turn one end 90degree so both ends are pointing the same way
( >====< from stock which would be something like >===--)

To do the "re-key" all you will need to do is grind down the one "key" All the key is, is a flat spot on one of the splines. Take a small dye grinder/disc grinder and takes all of about 10 minutes. Just grind a little notch in it and then put it back together and then just re-install. Also be sure to install the boot closer to the transfer case (vs. being closer to the front diff) need any more help just ask away and I'll do what i can. (did my own install and all my own work) *note: I haven't done the re-balance yet and have gone off-roading a few times. never had any vibrations or problems. But some guys do say they can feel it. Depends on your specific truck.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 12-21-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Drive shaft re keying, help asap