Why lift a 2 wheel drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most (not everyone) lifts or lowers a truck just for looks, myself included. In hindsight, I could have saved about $3000 on initial purchase price plus saved on gas and insurance if I had purchased a 4x2 Supercrew and lifted it. Plus, the truck would wind up looking exactly the same as my 4x4 Supercrew. However, I grew up being told you lift 4x4's and lower 4x2's.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jwool15
Jeez shines do I really have to explain this to you. I thought you would understand from your new found love for the 909 that you can be an official BRO until you have a 'lifted' F150. See man to the Bro's it doesn't matter if its 2wd or 4wd. It's just all about the lift on the F150 for Bro status man!

Lata from tha 817
Just trying to get my post #'s up General discussion does nothing

Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
Just trying to get my post #'s up General discussion does nothing
post *****

Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Jwool15
post *****
Guilty as charged...

Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Hell I never run 4x4 unless I get stuck. Half the time it doesn't work anyways.

It's all about your tires and driving skills.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I live in The City. My 4WD (Mercury Mountaineer, full time 4wd, 5.0L V8) spends most of it's time in my driveway. It serves it's purpose though. During the winter, I take it up to the snow. Every once in a while, I drive over to my ex's, dream about rolling over & crushing her little import, then snap back to reality and come back home.

I'm old school. My first truck was 2wd/4wd with manual locking front hubs. Yeah, push button shift on the fly technology existed. I was poor and couldn't afford. Back when I was a young boy, all that I could buy with my after school job was a used car with older technology. I learned the old fashioned way how to drive in the dirt. With a shovel, some 2X4s, some plywood, a hi-lift jack, a winch, and a little knowledge; you can just about go anywhere with 2wd. As a matter of fact, I did. I did almost all of my camping, hunting, & fishing without locking the front hubs into 4wd.

I still do my trips with my 2wd. I camp, hunt, fish, tow a boat, and drive on dirt all with my 2wd pick up. It's a V6 and I don't have any problems towing a boat, or hauling a trailer with my buddy's little Honda Civic.

For me, the Pro Comp 13134 Add-A-Leaf & 64201 Front Coil Spring Spacer Kit provided the perfect combination of being able to throw a few more pounds into the bed, and the extra clearance needed for slightly larger & more aggressive tires.

If I did not get a decent package deal from my local brick & mortar version of 4wheelparts.com (Dave @ Oakland store), I would not have bought the Pro Comp equipment. This is the kit that requires you to remove the coil spring and you need to compress the coil spring in order to put it back together. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a coil spring compressor and know how to use it.

Do-it-yourself guys would do better with Autospring or Fat Bob's Garage. My deal included parts, labor, and wheel alignment. Don't forget the alignment.

For pure aesthetics, I would consider the 6" lift. But the real consideration is the cost factor. Lift Kit + installation is in the neighborhood of $2K. Wheels & 35" tires look to be about another $2K. I am not spending $4K for cosmetics on a $13K truck.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 PM
i lifted my last truck for looks, i think lifting a 2wd more than about 6"s is overkill. most of us so-cal guys lift the 2wd cause its alot easier and cheaper to lift a 2wd plus more travel. with dunes and high speed running you dont need 4wd. another thing is the cost, gas mileage, weight, and insurance cost. if i lift this one it'll be simply to get it a little higher for looks.

logistically-lifting a 2wd doesn't serve a great purpose, in mud,rocks, deep sand, unless you have a light truck, big hp, good tires, locker/limited slip your going to be stuck, maybe not every time but alot more often than a 4wd

Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by captain morgan8
Hell I never run 4x4 unless I get stuck. Half the time it doesn't work anyways.

It's all about your tires and driving skills.
I totally agree with you. I have never gotton the 2wd stuck and It has seen the sand of vernon texas. If you have ever driven through sand you know you sink quick and you have to know what youre doing

Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
i am lifting my 2wd for looks and just because i like going offroading in my truck and right now i get stuck lol.. i didn't buy a 4wd because i didn't have the money, and now i am glad because lift kits are cheaper and it is easier installation so thats a good thing IMO. My next truck will probably be a 4wd but i am extremely happy with my 2wd now

also if you get the right lift kit and tires you can get your truck to look the same as a 4wd

Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One of these post comes up every 2 months I swear.

75 percent of the lifted trucks you see out there never even see a dirt road, let alone go offroading...so whats the point in lifting a 4x4 for most people then either?

I used to think a 2wd truck was worthless too...untill I owned one. Yeah, I lifted it some for looks, but it did see some a pretty damn fair amount of offroad use...more than most trucks owned by people who 'just gotta have 4 wheel drive' I guarentee you. You would be suprised what you can do with one if you dont have your head up your azz.

Not directley related to anyone, but....

How many times have some of you 'hafta have 4x4' people ACTUALLY needed to use the 4wd (not thought you needed it, but actually needed it?). I tend to find that a lot of people say they use their trucks a lot more than they really do and bring out the 4x4/2x4 card just so they can say "look at me I actually use my truck" and look tough or something, when if fact they dont see mud deeper than their hubcaps over 5 times a year and brag about hauling lumber and 4 wheelers

Originally Posted by I.C.Light
I always like the guys with the 4by2s who say " I can go any place you can go with the right tires and a little gas control."

Because its true...someone with a properly equiped 2wd who knows what they are doing will get just as far as some idiot with a 4x4 who thinks they can go anywhere just because they have 4wd.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
some idiot with a 4x4 who thinks they can go anywhere just because they have 4wd.
those guys seem to get stuck really bad

Old 11-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Well, I bought this piece of sh*t STX and I'm stuck with it for a while. Now I'm trying to upgrade anything I can to make my stay with it a little more enjoyable. You can also ask "why put spinners on a Geo Metro?" Personal preference....

Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
whats wrong with the stx

Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 PM
This is why. Picture explains it all. Padussy Magnet. Straight up.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:18 PM
well i have a 2wd only due to the fact that i couldnt afford to get the 4wd one at the time when i puchased my truck. dont get me wrong i would love to lift it but i just think it would be pointless. i have put a 2.5in level on it and thats more then enough for me, i do go off road but i dont go through mud and its mainly just dirt roads and the trips to the deer lease and whatnot, although a 4wd would be nice in alot of situations. but for my next truck i will get a 4wd mainly because i will be able to afford it, but hell that wont be for another 6 years.

Quick Reply: Why lift a 2 wheel drive?