Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks

Hey everyone...I know compared to other "how to questions" this may sound a little basic.
When I install my rear shocks are there any tricks to know about to make the job a little easier....Im trying to save a little $$ & start doing jobs on my own if I can....
I have a 99 f150 xlt off road & I noticed the top bolts looked a little challenging, any help would be great....Thanks

Old 10-18-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure how different the previous body style is, but to change the rear shocks on my truck was to simply unbolt the stockers and bolt in the new ones. Took less than 5 minutes with an open-end and socket wrench.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Maybe spray the bolts with penetrating oil a day or two before the job.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Changing out your rear shocks is probably the easiest do-it-yourself maintenance you could have picked as a first project.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Just got my new shocks, I went with rancho RS5000. The only problem is they didnt come with any instructions what-so-ever! I am already lost....
First thing I did was sprayed the bolts on old shocks with penetrating oil..let that go overnight.
Next morning I compared the rancho with the shock that is on truck & it seems it is a lot smaller ( the rancho shock ). I hope its the right shock....
I have a 99 ford f150 with the off-road package.
If someone can give me step by step instuctions that would be great. I really dont want to give up & bring it to my mechanic...
This is for the rear shocks.

BTW the oil change I did was by far a lot easier than this...LOL

Old 10-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by kasparsport
Hey everyone...I know compared to other "how to questions" this may sound a little basic.
When I install my rear shocks are there any tricks to know about to make the job a little easier....Im trying to save a little $$ & start doing jobs on my own if I can....
I have a 99 f150 xlt off road & I noticed the top bolts looked a little challenging, any help would be great....Thanks

Yea, I had sort of a hard time with mine. I had to break them to get the old ones off . Two Floor jacks made for an easy install but you need two. Jack it up and support with jack stands under the frame rails - then place the floor jack under the rear axle to adjust as needed to install the new ones.

Bilstien has instuctions online I believe - Go to the Rancho site - I bet they have them there as well.

Good Luck

Last edited by jbrew; 10-21-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Why did you need to jack your truck and/or remove the wheels to replace shocks??

kasparsport...the only instructions for changing the rear shock is to remove the upper and lower bolt holing them in place. Remove the shock. Install new shock. Reinstall the upper and lower bolt. That's it. Sometimes the bolts can be tough, but that's all there is to it. Shocks don't support any weight so I don't know why jbrew went through all the jacking and stuff. Removing the wheels may give you some elbow room to move around under the truck, but certainly not necessary for the job. The 5000's are not pressurised so you don't have to worry about them shooting out on you either.

What did you mean by the Rancho is a lot smaller??? Smaller how?? Diameter, length, what?? If it's diameter, that's fine. Just design difference. Are the mounting points on both ends of the shock the same as stock?? Good.

Length. Compress the two side by side. Is the Ranch the same length?? Good. Is the Rancho a little shorter than the stock one?? That's OK too. Is the Rancho longer than the stock one?? That's not so good.

Now fully extend the two side by side. Same?? Good. Is the Ranch shorter than the stock one?? Not so good. Is the Rancho a little longer than the stock one?? That's OK.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 PM

I had to remove the rear wheels on mine - more leverage on the old nuts and like I said - I had to bust shock rod to get mine off .

Anyway , I never told him to remove the rear wheels.. So I don't know WTF your talking about.

If your 99 was anything like my 98 you might have fun with those top bolts- also when you cut the ribbon on the new ones there going unspring on you (keep that in mind).. Just PM if you need help - I'm not going fight with these guys trying to help you. It's not that easy and you could get hurt here if your not carefull ..

Last edited by jbrew; 10-21-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM
OK jbrew...if you go back, I was simply asking why, that's all. I also never said you told him to remove the wheels now did I? But by your photo, you give the impression that it may be required because they're off in the picture. I would get that impression by the photo if I was learning. I thought I explained that this wasn't a necessary part of the job unless you needed the elbow room. The only reason I commented on it was because of the photo but you made no mention of it. Sorry if my post came across negative.

Also, I'm not 100% positive on this one but I believe the RS5000's are not gas charged. They wont come strapped and they will stay where you push them.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Yep...just went and checked. RS5000 are not pressurized so they will not extend on you. They don't even come strapped.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM

Yea, I remember I could get enough a$$ on that top nut from the inside to snap the shaft on the old shocks.
From the outside , I could sneak a 3/8 drive with a 10mm deep-well in there and slide a pipe over the ratchet handle.

Living were he does - I bet he has the same problem..

Mine were pressurized. Jack stands under the frame rail and the axle hanging as low as it would go. I had the shocks lined up before cutting the strap everything went were it was suppose except the bottom cradle - the shocks settled to low and I wrestle them around a bit to line up the bottom holes.

That's good that 5000's aren't pressurized - it will be easier installing.

Quick Reply: Shocks