will a body lift affect my performance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will a body lift affect my performance?

im thinking about adding the PA body lift but im wondering if it will affect my performance with suspension and cornering. does it affect anything would be a better question.. thanks.. TIM

Old 10-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not noticed any difference in just normal driving conditions. If you are going with bigger tires that is what will affect your power.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:29 AM

No, a body lift will not affect performance. Tire size will though. The only thing a body lift may do is make your truck a bit more top heavy since you are separating the body from the frame. Larger tires and body lift throws off the center of gravity. Back to your original question though, just a BL will not affect performance.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Nothing will be effected. Yes, your center of gravity will be a bit top heavy and bigger tires=less power, but I think it's worth it.

Not only is it a cheap alternative to a suspension lift, but it can look really good if you install it right (use Gap Guards and move your trailer assembly lights up). Also, I totaled a 2000 f150 SCAB last winter in a 20 car pile up. I had my wife and 2 kids in the truck. Having the extra height actually helped cushion the blow. I was hit pretty hard twice on both sides but we barely felt anything. They are safe if installed properly. I would have felt it a lot more if the truck was stock.

I'm running 35's with the EDGE and had it off road this summer on some monster sand dunes (Silver Lake) here in Michigan. The extra ground clearance with the 35's helped a good amount as well.

I recommend them and will probably put another one on my next truck.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:12 AM
thats what i was looking to hear.. you guys are good.. thanks for the help... now i just have to find a place that can do it around here.. a friend of mine took his frontier to a audio store that works on dirtbikes atvs and does car and truck mods but more accessory type installs then mechanical.. the total for him to get his body lift in was 900.. i was like damn... so that my only problem

Old 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Wang13256
thats what i was looking to hear.. you guys are good.. thanks for the help... now i just have to find a place that can do it around here.. a friend of mine took his frontier to a audio store that works on dirtbikes atvs and does car and truck mods but more accessory type installs then mechanical.. the total for him to get his body lift in was 900.. i was like damn... so that my only problem

If you're mechanically inclined at all, you could probably do it yourself, would recommend someone to help you, but they aren't that bad to install. If you check out my photo gallery, I took lots of lics of the install process with captions and descriptions. This will give you an idea or what you are in store for.

$900 seems about right, they aren't difficult to install, just a lot of little things that are time consuming, that's why labor is so high. Good Luck

Old 10-18-2007, 04:19 PM
well im pretty good with some stuff mechanically but i dont want to get myself into somethin then screw up so id rather have someone do it for me seeing how it takes time and i may not have that..

Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Wang13256
well im pretty good with some stuff mechanically but i dont want to get myself into somethin then screw up so id rather have someone do it for me seeing how it takes time and i may not have that..

I hear ya. It usually takes an 12-18 hours the first time. I usually recommend devoting an entire weekend to it. Whichever way you decide to go, post pics when you're done.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Not totally accurate to say nothing will be affected.

Top speed will be affected, as will acceleration - more and more the faster you go.

A lift affects Cd - the higher the lift, the higher the Cd, the more percentage of your available power is used to both accelerate the vehicle, and maintain speed. And the truck already has a laughable Cd stock.

Hence - mileage will also be affected as you have just increased load.

Note - I'm talking at speed here - trolling through town does not apply.

Vehicle dynamics - C.O.G, roll, (but not polar moment of inertia, unless you added much heavier rolling stock as well), weight transfer, etc - all change.

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-18-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree with MGD.If you have a tuner you can aliminate the top speed of your truck. I have had mine way over 100mph with the BL and 35's.

What size tires do you plan on running??? That is the main question for the power loss you will feel. You can run a 16x10 with 35/12.50's but expect power loss, gas mileage loss, decreased braking, and the overall feel of the truck will be dif. The feel will be better in some areas but not as good in others as far as handling. Gears will fix the power loss if you add bigger tires
The other good thing is you will notice more vehicles getting the fawk out of your way. Most people move over when they see you coming. Not to many people like to see the tires sticking out past the fender coming towards them For the look alone i would say it's worth it!! I also have pics in my gallery of the install. It will take a full weekend.
I have no regrets except not having gears yet!!!!

Last edited by Kevin24; 10-18-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:30 PM
If you have gears, your mileage wont decrease and your power will be about the same. Handling isnt too bad with 35s.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:36 PM
i plan on staying with my 265/75/16s but i may just get eagle 058s 16x8which may increase the weight a little... im not goin any bigger with tires and i just decided that im not goin with 4.10 gears.. too much confusion and cost for me right now.. but if i come into 1500 in the next 2 months then i might do it.. thats about it.. i wanted the body lift for the look more than height for offroading or anything.. i justrefreshed my paint job..my truck is alot for show but love to race and "get it" alot.. thanks for ur help guys

Old 10-18-2007, 08:02 PM
I wouldnt get the lift if you dont plan on bigger tires.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by keith_bennett
I wouldnt get the lift if you dont plan on bigger tires.
I agree. Those tires will look too small IMO. I have 285's and I would deff. not want any smaller.

Quick Reply: will a body lift affect my performance?