Steerin Shimmy from 60-75

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steerin Shimmy from 60-75

I started gettin a steerin wheel shake from 60-75 so i took it to tire kingdom to let them rebalance the front tires and re-align it. then i left and i still have the shimmy? any ideas on what it might be

one of the guys that work there said that their dad has a set of tires like i do and that he gets them re-balanced every two weeks to keep them right. i've had a few sets of mud tires before on my jeep and never had this problem.

lookin at some 35/13.5/18 atz's.... these load E coopers are killin me

Old 04-05-2007, 06:43 PM
I had one tire that I could not run on the right front, It would be fine on the left or on the back. And it would "really" shake when pulling my trailer. If you don't have any other steering problems I would put the front's on the back and see what is up then.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:44 PM
i might try that because all this might have started when i rotated my tires last week. i just thought i remembered it going on before i did it. but i'll try that

Old 04-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by fx4jake31
I started gettin a steerin wheel shake from 60-75 so i took it to tire kingdom to let them rebalance the front tires and re-align it. then i left and i still have the shimmy? any ideas on what it might be

one of the guys that work there said that their dad has a set of tires like i do and that he gets them re-balanced every two weeks to keep them right. i've had a few sets of mud tires before on my jeep and never had this problem.

lookin at some 35/13.5/18 atz's.... these load E coopers are killin me

I think what you are talking about is a problem, ford has stated is normal yeah I know normal for the 04 and early 05 trucks. It is the rack and pinion that makes the truck shake. There is a forum about it already not sure where it is If i find it I will send you the link.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Here it is

NONCONFORMITY § 681.102(16), F.S.
Kelly v. Ford Motor Company, 2004-0748/JAX (Fla. NMVAB November 10, 2004). The Consumer complained that the steering wheel in his F-150 pick-up truck vibrated. The steering wheel vibration could be felt by the driver and visually observed by passengers in the vehicle. The Manufacturer denied there was a defect in the vehicle, contending that the 2004 model year F-150s were equipped with rack-and-pinion steering, which allegedly transmitted
more “road feel” than the previous steering systems utilized on the F-150s. The new steering system allegedly made the F-150 pick-up trucks steer more like corvettes than like trucks. The Board was not persuaded. The Board found the steering wheel vibration to be a defect that substantially impaired the use of the vehicle. Ultimately, the Board awarded the Consumer a
refund.

Mascellino v. Ford Motor Company, 2004-0946/ORL (Fla. NMVAB January 19, 2005). The Consumers complained of a vibration in their Ford F150 pickup truck, which was felt in the vehicle’s seats when driving at speeds of 45 to 60 miles per hour. The vibration was most severe when the vehicle maintained a speed of about 50 miles per hour, the speed at which the
Consumers commonly drove. The Consumers owned several Ford F-150s in the past and had no complaints about the quality of the ride of those vehicles. There currently were two Ford Technical Service Bulletins (“TSB”) addressing the vibration in the seats, but they had not yet been performed on the vehicle. One of the bulletins required the use of special equipment each time the vehicle’s tires were rotated and balanced. The availability of the equipment was limited, and it would increase the cost of routine maintenance for the vehicle. The Board considered as evidence of substantial impairment the existence of the TSB which required special maintenance, and the Consumers’ satisfaction with previously owned pickups, to overcome the Manufacturer’s testimony the vibration was “normal” for a pickup.

This gives me some hope.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:36 PM
thanks utah, i appreciate that. yeah i've thought about it bein the rack and pinion, and i've also thought it was my driveshaft. i doubt i'll be able to get anything fixed like that with my warranty cause my lift... i'm just gonna try and rotate my tires again

Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 PM
sorry to bring up a old thread but....has there been any fixes for this issue? My truck behaves exactly like the Customer complaints. City speeds its fine, only shakes in the 55-70mph range. if i set the cruise at 75 its extremely light and hardly noticeble. The only change ivve done is put M/T's on it but im not sure if that would effect the truck or not.

Quick Reply: Steerin Shimmy from 60-75