6" Fabtech Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6" Fabtech Lift?

Well the bug has bit me and i am looking to lift my truck, and i was wondering a few things:
1. Does anyone have any experience with the 6" Fabtech lift. Was it easy to install? Has it held up well?
2006 2wd f-150

2. What is the going rate for an install?(assuming i can't do it myself, I'm very mechanically inclined)

3. With this lift and 35's what will it cost to get the truck regeared? I know it will need it.

4. Will the lift kit dramatically effect mileage if i change gears?

I know there are a bunch of questions, but i want to make sure i have all the facts before i dive into this. Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by red06f150
Well the bug has bit me and i am looking to lift my truck, and i was wondering a few things:
1. Does anyone have any experience with the 6" Fabtech lift. Was it easy to install? Has it held up well?
2006 2wd f-150

2. What is the going rate for an install?(assuming i can't do it myself, I'm very mechanically inclined)

3. With this lift and 35's what will it cost to get the truck regeared? I know it will need it.

4. Will the lift kit dramatically effect mileage if i change gears?

I know there are a bunch of questions, but i want to make sure i have all the facts before i dive into this. Thanks for all the help.
1)I've had 2 Fabtech lifts and never any problems.
2) Going rate around my area is $400-$500 for install.
3)I havent re-geared yet and still have power(do have a tuner and exhaust),
I do want 4.56 gears though
4)Dont think it should to much. Should help you out on the low-end, might hurt a little on top-end.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot depends on what powertrain you have now. If you have a 5.4 with low gears you won't notice the difference as much as someone with a 4.6 and taller gears.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:38 AM
I see, i was just bounciong around the idea, and i'm trying to see how much i'll be in for once i start. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Hello I am in the process of getting the fabtech still saving the last little bit of money for it. I dont want to regear right away due to cash issues but i should be fine with 35's on OEM wheels for six months down the road without regearing. I do have the 5.4 with 3.55ls. What do the prices run per axle with regear and install. (by the way this is my first truck-only 17 and wanted to know what the difference between a 'ls' was and a 'nls'.)
Thanks, Chug4Real

Old 10-17-2006, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trooks said what I would say. I installed my Fabtech lift w/coilovers and it took me a weekend with handtools. It took many many hours due to this but I got it done after a few problems I ran into. I would strongly suggest trying it yourself with a buddy over a few beers n pizza! If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to tackle it, the worst part is being overwhelmed by the directions as with all mods. Look at the parts and identify where they will be going and how. Physically hold them up to your truck if you don't understand, the disassembly of the truck was miserable with mud falling on my face but I adjusted...

Do it yourself, you'll be fine and I'll give you my number or email so we can go over problems as they arise. Hows that for tech support.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:48 AM
The only thing I have to complain is Blocks in the back. I rather not have blocks in the back. I wheel alot and blocks have a rep of axle wrap.

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2006, 12:11 PM
I have my 99 Lifted with a Fabtech 6". The kit has been great so far, no problems, I did the install in our shop and it was pretty easy. Great directions, just time consuming.

Be sure to make sure you have ALL the peices when you go to do the install.

I have 35" BFG Mud-Terrains on it and have not re-geared. I have the 4.6 motor and I lost 25 miles to the tank, not that big of a deal. Power seems ok. I do have a aFe Stage 2 Intake, Exhaust and a edge tuner....it all helped a lot

Old 10-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by 03fx4F150
The only thing I have to complain is Blocks in the back. I rather not have blocks in the back. I wheel alot and blocks have a rep of axle wrap.

no one say you have to use them myself i plan on use some superlift addaleafs to add some payload and lessen body roll

or the best way is new high arc leaf spring paks skyjacker makes some $280 ea

Old 10-21-2006, 02:06 PM
I agree with most of what has been said here, you can do it! I did!

But I must stress that you have the proper tools for the job, and I strongly suggest that if you are not buying new coilovers, that you take your existing ones to your local tire shops press and have them disassemble/assemble the new shocks in the coils. People have died trying to do this without a proper spring compresser. Just a word of warning.

One other thing, many people don't do it, but the front driveline should be re-oriented and balanced (you won't be able to do this at home, bu maybe you have the ultimate auto shop which would also mean you have no wife). Oh, sorry, I missed the 2WD part, nevermind.

Last edited by ROBAK; 10-21-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:36 AM
with all the info ive gotten figure around 5000$ installed gears and all......... roughly.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 PM
cost me $800 to install

Quick Reply: 6" Fabtech Lift?