How to adjust torsion bars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to adjust torsion bars?

How do you adjust the torsion bars on a 98 f-150 4x4 reg. cab? Anyonw can help me let me know?

Old 05-18-2006, 10:06 AM
I would also like to know....I guess it would be the same as doing it on my 2002 4x4 supercab? Thanks.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is very simple....suprised there isn't a tech article on it when I do mine I will post pics and see.

Basic concept is you jack the front of the truck up, pull of the wheels. If you look at the crossmember in the back where the torsion bars end you will see the "keys" that hold them. There is one on each side. You will see the bolts that screw up to the keys. Righty tighty leftly loosey....i.e. tighten them and it will raise the truck this is why it is referred to as cranking the bars.

Don't go just cranking away on them either. Mark where you started and go a couple of turns, put the wheels back on put truck on the ground and see how much you have gained.

Important Points:
1. The more you crank the rougher it is going to make the ride
2. Any lift over 1" gained will require an alignment
3. It may take more turns on one side to get it level
4. It will settle some once you drive it
5. It ain't rocket science takes about 3 tools and 30 minutes.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-18-2006, 10:45 AM
If you look at the post "leveling kit/ tire question" in this forum Wandell has posted a pic of the bolts to tighten.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I did mine 6 months ago. Here's what I did.First, get the truck on a level surface and mark the each bolt pictured in Wadell's post. Second, measure the back of the truck from top of wheel well to bottom of rim. Make sure each side is the same in the back. Tighten up the bolt will raise the front end up. I did jack it up and it was fine. Don't raise it more than 1 - 1.5" inches. Do both sides and drive around to settle the torsion bars. Check your measurements again and repeat if necessary.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Thank you both for all your help

Old 05-22-2006, 11:49 AM
its not nesseccary to jack the truck up but also any adjustment you do i would reccomend an alignment or it may cause uneven tread wear.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here is a pic to help you out

Old 05-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like to find this out also, my 98 scab is starting to sag a little in the front and starting to rub on my 305's when I back out of the driveway. Just started having this problem, figured they need cranked up a little.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Dog'em
I would like to find this out also, my 98 scab is starting to sag a little in the front and starting to rub on my 305's when I back out of the driveway. Just started having this problem, figured they need cranked up a little.
did you even read the thread?? it tells you how. and if you dont understand what its talking about look at the picture bigtruck psoted then go look under your truck. its very simple. 2 bolts

Old 05-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Yes I did read the entire post so lighten up with the sarcasim. I'm just saying that I am in the same boat as ChrisJ and looking for the way to crank up the torsion bars a little. Seems there are different opinions of how and what to do.

1. Take tires off / Leave tires on.
2. Jack the truck up / Don't jack up the truck.
3. Always get it aligned afterwards / Only need alignment if lifted over 1".

Just asking before I start cranking away. Also anyone know how much approximate lift you get per one revolution turn of the bolt ?

Old 05-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it really matters whether or not you lift the truck off the ground or not. Also, I'd get an alignment (at least within 100 miles maybe) after you get to the height you want. I mean you never know, your alignment may already be out. Tires are too expensive to wear out.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Here's what I did...

First off I took my little 2' level I had and came from the inside top of the fenderwell and measured to the floor all the way around the truck...(By the way my front end was out 1/4 of an inch to start with between the two front tires!!) anyway then I jacked up the truck on the drivers side just enough to get the weight off the tire then I cranked it up about 15 revs on the bolt and lowered it down. Then checked the height again. I did that again and again till I got both sides at the height I wanted. Witch by the way was right at an inch of lift.

I didn't check the alignment right away but put a 3" body lift on the truck and and new 33" tires then had it aligned 2 weeks later and the alignment was as I like to say, dead nuts.

Doc

Old 05-23-2006, 09:34 PM
yeah the jack up was just a personal thing but doesn't hurt. Alignment is a good idea no matter how much lift but over 1" you really need one unless you don't care about your tires.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the input fellas, got it taken care of tonight. Pretty straight forward, took longer to find an 18mm socket than to actually get it lifted and leveled. Does help to jack the truck up a little just to take some weight off, the bolts turn much easier that way. Went four turns and got 1 1/8" lift.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: How to adjust torsion bars?