Another Ball Joint & Shock Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Ball Joint & Shock Questions

Hey Guys:

I need some feedback. While doing some maintenance to my truck today. I checked my ball joints and think I've got bad lowers. First, my truck is a 03 4x4. I checked the lowers buy jacking up each side under the lower control arm. Then using a bar, and an extra pair of hands, moved the bar up against the bottom of the tire. I can see movement between the spindle and the ball joint. I'm thinking, any movement is a sign of a bad ball joint, am I correct? My truck goes for state inspection in March and I'd like to fix the problem before going and failing. My truck's got 76K miles and from the last 2 F150's I've had (98 & 01) both needed ball joints by 80K. So....

Ok, next one. I'm thinking of putting torsion bars from a 7700 into my truck. Front drops too much with the plow. For those who've done this install, are you replacing shocks with one's rated for the 7700 package or will my Reflex's or the RSX's I'm thinking of installing work just fine.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some play is normal in ball joints, although ideally there isnt any. I *think* up to 1/8" of play is considered acceptable.

For the shocks, you dont have to change them if you go to the 7700 bars. But you could put stiffer shocks in.

Quick Reply: Another Ball Joint & Shock Questions