Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering

Hiya, hoping this is the right section to post this in...

1998 XL, 103,000 miles, 4.6, 4x4, manual, everything mechanical outside the passenger compartment is stock.

When idle, if I try to move the wheel, it feels as if the power steering is gone until I rev the motor a bit, then it returns until the engine idles again. This started happening over the course of about 2 weeks.

I replaced the pump about 2 years ago because the OEM one had a minor leak (but still worked fine), so this isn't an OEM pump. The belt looks fine and is tight (my temp and voltage show ok- no squeaks or squeals from under the hood) and my idle seems to be fine. The ps fluid is topped off... haven't lost a drop yet.

Is the pump bad, or could the pulley be slipping, or could it be something else?

Thanks much!

BTW, how long are the original belts good for? Mine still looks like new, except for the dirt!

Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 AM
PS pump is going bad. No pressure at low RPM.
If the belt was slipping it would squeel.
Did you get a Re-man or Re-built PS pump.
Re-man means everything in the pump is new except the housing. Re-built means only the parts that were bad were replaced. Re-built is cheaper, and more common; of course new is always available too.
Time to change it again...try new or re-man...you gotta ask your parts people what they are selling.

Belts---3 years---36,000 miles>>>>cooling system hoses too.
Serp. belts.....12 total cracks per inch of belt in all of the ribs.

I know...most people just wait till belts or hoses fail before replacing. But if you follow the guide lines you will never have a belt or hose failure.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:04 PM
thanks osprey. just wanted a second opinion before i replaced it again.

the replacement was a rebuild, not a reman, from autozone.

probably will just get a new oem pump this time.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Hey, I have the same problem right now on my 99 Navigator. I bought a new pump but was wondering if anyone could tell me what I'm gonna have to do to replace it myself.

Do I need to remove the stabalizer bars and the radiator fan to get this thing out?

Quick Reply: Power steering