1997 F-150 leaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 F-150 leaning

I have a 1997 F-150 S/C flareside that leans to the right. Does anyone know about a service bulletin addressing this problem or what Ford recommends doing about it ?

Old 09-10-2000, 11:14 PM
Thumbs up

mshane:

1st dealer shimmed the truck bed and replaced the leaf spring on left side (leans 3/4" to the left). 2nd dealer ordered both front coil springs on Sept. 7th. I'll let you know if this corrects the lean. This dealer did state that the 1st dealer should have replaced both front coils FIRST, then if it wasn't corrected, to replace BOTH rear springs.

Jeff

Old 09-12-2000, 09:20 PM
Thumbs up

I hope this works for you. If it fixes the problem let me know and I will try replaceing my springs. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Old 09-13-2000, 01:19 PM
I have the same prop with mine and im puting the new springs on thurs night i'll let you know!!!

------------------
98 f150 4.6 auto 4x4 supercab-short box/bright red & black/6 disk cd changer/ dynomax cat back/k&n fipk/super chip/lund taillight covers/clear corner lens/pace edwards box cover/ultra wheels/ westin nerf bars/steel horse billit grill & bumper insert/reflex shocks/bosch plat. plue 4/accel wires/skidoo summit 700 high mark/FORD DEALERSHIP

Old 09-14-2000, 09:51 PM
Thumbs down

Well I got my new springs on and they look great-no more lean-sits alot higher now also. Now to get my bigger BF tires and auto start and I might be done biulding the truck

------------------
98 f150 4.6 auto 4x4 supercab-short box/bright red & black/6 disk cd changer/ dynomax cat back/k&n fipk/super chip/lund taillight covers/clear corner lens/pace edwards box cover/ultra wheels/ westin nerf bars/steel horse billit grill & bumper insert/reflex shocks/bosch plat. plue 4/accel wires/skidoo summit 700 high mark/FORD DEALERSHIP

Old 09-15-2000, 04:43 AM
I had the lean to the left-new springs all they way around-presto no lean.

------------------
JET air filter
delta tool box
pumpin' stereo
class III reciever hitch
spray in bedliner
headlight covers
custom painted taillight covers
cranked torsion bars 2000 black F150 4x4 sport v-6
-----------------------

lightningcrashz@hotmail.com

Old 09-22-2000, 10:40 PM
Boy oh boy. You all are not going to believe this. I truely got the run around from the second dealer. In early Sept., I had installed leaf and coil spring shims to correct 3/4" lean to the left. This got truck within 1/4" of level. On Sept. 8th, mechanic checked my complaint of 3/4" lean to the left. The service advisor ordered 2 coil springs to correct lean. After waiting 2 weeks for coils, I scheduled a visit for 2nd dealer to install coils. Long story short, mechanic put truck on alignment machine to check level and stated that truck was 1/4" out but within tolerances set by Ford. I asked the service advisor if the dumb ****e removed my shims and he stated apparently not but "he should have known".

After picking up truck yesterday from this fiasco, I was a glutton for punishment. I put truck back in shop today. I suggested that they remove the shims and check the level. After an all-day affair, the gutless advisor called and stated that "aftermarket shims can not be removed by Ford under warranty". I stated that I would pay mechanic to remove shims because I was confident that the truck was 3/4" out of level. He stated that mechanic "probably would not remove". I got more of a run-around at this dealership than any in my lifetime. Bottomline: a warranty means N O T H I N G. I guess I have found the true colors of service departments: Fix Only Real Dollars.

This weekend, I plan on swapping the left rear leaf spring for the right and vice-versa to hopefully correct lean. Has anyone tried this.

Jeff

Old 09-23-2000, 02:03 PM
Lightbulb

Oe812,

Hold on, lets see if we can fix this be fore you go threw all that work. My truck had the same prob, It sat 4" lower than any other truck I could check and leaned 1.5 " to the left. I ordered new rear springs(part #F65Z-5560-NA you need to of them). I installed them and got the rear up in the air about 4.5". I still had the lean to the left(I was so pissed). I went home and thought and thought what can I do. I looked at my torshion bars and the one on the left front was wound way in(controls the left front and right rear) and the right bar was wound way out(controls right front and left rear). I couldn't figer out why it was like this. I tolk it to my alighnment shop and told them my story, he checked how far off it was from the frame to the axle moved the torsion bars and did the alighnment and it turned out great. I had him drop the front of the truck about 3" witch brought up the rear 3". Its like a new truck. I have sence then put a new set of LT265-75-16 BFG AT KO the truck looks totaly different. I love it!!! Let me know what you think and what else you have did.

------------------

Old 09-23-2000, 02:11 PM
Summitman:

I'm glad it worked out well for you. However, I do not have a 4wd pickup. My truck is 2wd. I appreciate the reply anyway.

Jeff

Old 09-23-2000, 03:41 PM
Question

OE812,

don't they both work the same with differnt springs??

------------------

Old 09-24-2000, 10:16 AM
Summitman:

I thought that the torsion bars needed adjusting. As you had indicated, even after installing new leaf springs, the lean was still present. My 2wd truck does not have torsion bars. And yes, I could replace both springs but the cost is too high.

Thanks, Jeff

Old 09-24-2000, 05:19 PM
OE812,
Sorry I couldn't help, Best of luck.

------------------
98 f150 4.6 auto 4x4 supercab-short box/bright red & black/6 disk cd changer/ dynomax cat back/k&n fipk/super chip/lund taillight covers/clear corner lens/factory fog lamps/pace edwards box cover/ultra wheels/LT265-75-16 BFG/ westin nerf bars/steel horse billit grill & bumper insert/reflex shocks/bosch plat. plus 4/accel wires/auto start/skidoo summit 700 high mark/FORD DEALERSHIP

Old 09-24-2000, 09:21 PM
My truck used to lean to the left in the rear, after having the left leaf replaced it still did. So I made my own rear lift blocks to correct it. I made the left block thicker (1"thick), than the right block & inserted them under the factory blocks with pins to hold them in place & new longer U-bolts. With the torsion bars adjusted for more lift & the new taller Goodyear Wrangler LT275 70 17 GSA'S I just bought, the truck looks like the Off-Road pkg. truck Ford should have built! Not too high but with a tougher, higher look. It leaves people looking at it wondering what was done to it.

------------------
97' F150 XLT 4x4
5.4L V8
3.55 gears
Bright red
Off-road pkg.
6-disc cd
Torsion bars adjusted for lift.
Custom rear lift-blocks.
LT275 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler GSA tires.
Edelbrock IAS shocks.

[This message has been edited by KABF150! (edited 09-24-2000).]

Old 09-24-2000, 10:43 PM
Question

KABF150!:

I will do the same: insert a block on the left side. BTW, what material did you use in making your blocks and where did you get the longer U bolts? I might checkout a local 4 wheel shop.

Thanks for the info,

Jeff

Old 09-24-2000, 11:17 PM
I made the blocks & pins out of steel. I bought the U-bolts from huskyspring.com/ubolts.htm They were approx. $40.00. My blocks were very easy to install & very precision, I am a machinist. I'am a CNC lathe man, but well rounded in making anything with a mill, lathe, grinder etc. I can make them for you if the price is right. Tell me what you think it is worth & your block height requirements & I would consider it. I have all the dimensions still. High quality workmanship.

------------------
97' F150 XLT 4x4
5.4L V8
3.55 gears
Bright red
Off-road pkg.
6-disc cd
Torsion bars adjusted for lift.
Custom rear lift-blocks.
LT275 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler GSA tires.
Edelbrock IAS shocks.

Quick Reply: 1997 F-150 leaning