Body Lift Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Lift Help!!!!!

I have gotten started on my PA 3" lift. I am stuck with the front two body mounts, drivers side and Pass side!!! These damn things will not budge. I have air tools and the whole shabbang. I have sprayed WD40 and am letting it sit right now. Can anyone tell me if they have had this same problem???? I am at wits end. Please help, I only have till tuesday!!!
Thanks for any response Please email at: njarrett@comcast.net

Old 05-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Get a 1/2" breaker bar and a big cheater bar. Some of the bolts are stuck in there pretty good. I had to use a 3' cheater bar for some of the bolts.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:00 PM
But I can turn the bolts. The bottom where it screws into is turning with the bolt. I will give your suggestion a shot though. Please shoot me more ideas if this doesn't work.
Thanks

Old 05-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Ahh.......I see what you mean. The threaded metal sleave is turning in the bushing. You have a couple options. You can try and weld a piece of flat stock onto the bottom end of the sleave to make it stop turning, then break that off when you're done. The other option is to break out the torch and cut the whole thing out and replace it with a new bushing. I'd probably go with option 2 since if the sleave is spinning inside the bushing then you'll never get the bolt tight again. The sleave will just spin.

Old 05-07-2003, 09:50 AM
I ended up getting a buddy ove and muscled the one out of the drivers side. However, I ended up trying to cut the passenger side off and am waiting on the part from FORD. I have completed everything except for the tightening the cab bolts and those tow body mounts. All-in-all the truck looks great. I really like it even though i have not driven it yet. One question, I unbolted a wire for the transmission under the dash and bolted it back. Do I need to do anything with that? It just looks like I unbolted so it would not snag. I did not lengthen it or anything. Just curious.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Thumbs up exposed front frame

I had a body lift put on my 99 4x4, and hated the fact that you could now see the front frame where our tow hooks go. If you are interested, I found a cheap and easy fix for this. however it will take a little time. I got some scrap wood, and screwed several pieces together, to get close to the same size as the frame ends. I then wrapped duck tape around that to get more percise. When I was happy with the size, I put a ziplock bag over the wrapped wood, and used fiberglass kits from walmart to make a cast. I then sanded them down with a dremel tool, to smooth out the rough spots, painted with grey primer, and attached them with stainless hardware. I don't know if you have done anything like this before, but it actually turned out good.. hopefully this will help.

Old 05-09-2003, 11:14 AM
kev
This happened to me.

Solution: 3 foot pipe wrench! hehe, seriously, it works great.

kev

Old 05-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Update!!

Just an update..... I got everything off and back on. The truck looks great!!! However, if anyone is reading this and thinking about doing it, get some buddies to help out. The wife ended up not being strong enough to do any good. I found the worst part being the drilling out the holes for the bumper relocation brackets. That metal on the bumper is thick as hell. I ended up drilling a whole with a 1/2 inch drill bit, not big enough. THen taking a recipricating saw and cutting out a piece big enough to clear the bolt head. Yahoo!! Finally leveled out the bumper. Before that I could not get the tailgate down without hitting the bumper with it. Anyway, the aligning of the bumpers I found to be the easiest. One shot and they were both aligned. Anyway, thanks for all you guys help. Tires are on order and should be here this week. BFG TA/KO's 285/70/17's. The only other thing that I noticed about the lift is a little more road noise than before. I speculate this is because of more space between the body and the frame.

Quick Reply: Body Lift Help!!!!!