Poor traction - 98 F150 4x4 w/ off-road package

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2000, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Poor traction - 98 F150 4x4 w/ off-road package

I have a 98 F150 with the 4x4 off road package without limited slip. Is the heavy duty off road suspension the reason I have such poor rear wheel traction on wet/slippery roads? The trucks back end will kick out on any kind of hard corning or a wet straightaway under heavy acceleration. Of course I could drop it into 4x4 but this is a hassle all of the time. Would a limited slip differential correct this? If so, which gearing under the 4.6L v8 would be better.
Any info would be appreciated....
Thanks!!

Old 02-10-2000, 11:09 AM
Well... I can assume you have the crappy Goodyear OEM tires still on it? If so then look there for your answer my friend.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!) MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening, Bosch Platinum + 4's, Hayden 30K+ Tranny Cooler,Class III Reece load distributing hitch system and wiring, Superchip

Old 02-11-2000, 12:18 AM
psh94. Adding the limited slip will help. Although if you have a heavy foot....
I have the 3.55ls and with the 235/70 tires it don't take much to light'em up. I found driving in the snow with no added weight, if I take it easy, I don't have a problem.

Something to consider. If you decide to make a gear change look ahead to tire size. If your planning on larger diameter tires you may want 3.73s, 4.10s et..

Henry.

------------------
99 F-150 XL 4x4. RC Flareside 4.6 5spd, 3.55LS. gibson 3" cat-back, K&N Gen ll.Westin step bars.Ventshade window deflectors and bug deflector. rhino liner and a cool white shifter ball.

Old 02-11-2000, 07:32 AM
99% of the time ITS THE TIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PERIOD!!!

Propper tire inflation helps too! Propper size is a good thing!

Thats about all you can do.

CASE: I had a 95 Z28 LT1. With the stock Goodyear GSC tires (which are supposed to be "The Bomb") I had a lot of spin under hard acceleration. I put the CHEAPER Goodyear RSA's on it (came with the rims I bought). The car would STICK AND GO!!!!!!!! It was the tires!

Another thing, wider is NOT always better! There is a point when your too wide or too thin. It has to do with the weight!

Lastly, put different shocks on it! If you allow more weight to transfer to the rear when you start out, you will apply more pressure to the rear tires! I would not recommend this though. THis is more for race applications!

TIRES - TIRES!!!!!

If that doesn't work... Then DRIVE SLOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Rand

[This message has been edited by Rand (edited 02-11-2000).]

Old 02-11-2000, 08:38 AM
Yes indeed. Tires. When I had the OEM Goodyear AP's on this thing it slipped everytime it rained. Put on Bridgestone Duelers ATP's - problem solved.

Quick Reply: Poor traction - 98 F150 4x4 w/ off-road package