Lowering Questions / Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2000, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowering Questions / Opinions

Ok, I did it.

I have ordered my lowering kit. I am lowering 3" in front with Eibach springs and either 4" or 5" in rear with shackles and hangers from western chassis (shackles can be mounted for 2" or 3" lowering)

What I need opinions on is the front lowering and shocks. I also ordered a set of Doetsch Tech shcoks which are specifically designed to work with lowered vehicles that have shorter travel. I have seen Truckin' magazine use these on several occasions and have heard good things about them. Was wondering if anyone else had used them or heard anything about them.

Second, it was recommended that I purchase cast & camber plates for the front because our trucks have limited amounts of front end adjustments and it would also make handling better. I know this is a very popular mod for mustangs, especially when lowering, so was wondering if anyone had any opinions on them. They were less than $50, so not much of a price difference for the entire kit, but just looking for some opinions on adding or needing to add them.

Thanks,

------------------
Chris Thomas
1998 F-150XLT Flareside STX Sport Package, 4.6L Auto 3.55 Oxford White/Gray interior, Factory Anti-theft system
Picture: http://216.147.104.171/Y2K/members/ChrisT/christ1a.jpg
Homepage: Chris & Brandi's Universe
Mods: A.R.E. Decklid/Oxford White with gray fabric liner, K&N filter with Airbox Mod (removed silencer), Tinted Windows, GTS sloted taillight covers (painted Oxford white to match), Removed STX stickers
Audio: Kenwood Truck speakers with 10" woofers, Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Amps, Ford 10 disk CD changer
Future Mods: 3/4 Lowering Kit (Maybe 4/6 if I don't have to change tires at the same time), 20" rims and tires, True duals with Supertrap tunable mufflers, Superchip, Supercharger, Jacobs Ignition, NOS, and whatever else I can think of!!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Thomas (edited 02-09-2000).]

Old 02-09-2000, 04:49 PM
i lowered mine 3" in the front and did not need anything more than the cam bolts that are stock on the truck....they are in the upper a arm...the ROUSH kit came with another set because all fords may not have them...they are a ford stock part #...there was plenty of adjustment when i went to the alignment shop...the shocks i used are BILSTIENS that came with the kit...i'm not sure you need the caster/camber plates,or where you would even place them...i've never seen them on any lowered ford anywhere before...ROUSH engineered the kit as a whole unit front and rear and never said anything about cas/cam plates...the kit only uses springs and shocks for the front...i'm not saying ROUSH is perfect but they have alot of performance and racing experience and should know what they are talking about...can you show me where you saw these cas/cam plates????? also i heard cutting off your hangers are alot of work ,might want to check out lowering leafs.........

------------------
pacific green 97 f150 4.6l..reg cab flareside 150XLT ,ROUSH suspention down 3 fr and3.5rear with BILSTIEN shocks,3.55LS,snug lid,carpeted bed, painted tailight accents,4x4 grill &bumper,k&n,SUPERCHIP(THANX MIKE),poweraid,ram air kit,valvoline synthetic,accel super stock wires,platinum plus4 plugs,flow master muff,blue halogen bulbs, speed-glo dash,carbon fiber gauge accent,..."#6 sticker!!!!"
STEREO:eclipse head unit ,boston seperates ,orion amp, pioneer amp,2-orion 12's,custom box by me!,sony adjustable crossover,1 farad cap&way to many cd's

Old 02-09-2000, 11:37 PM
The kits for the upper control arms are bolts with a cam and a nut with a cam. These bolt kits are used to adjust caster and camber. I went with the Belltech 3/4 kit for my truck. It rides nice and can still haul and tow. Cutting off the rear hangers wasn't to bad, but I did at work on my hoist so I was able to use a air hammer and die grinder. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2000, 09:19 AM
Cool

Thanks for the replys guys. The caster/camber adjustments parts that western chassis is supplying is probably simmilar to what you are describing rather than the plates like the mustangs use. I ordered the kit from sportruck direct out of Truckin magazine.

ROUSHFAN,

I have link to the Roush page on my website and I looked at their products, but I couldn't find anyone selling them on the web or out of magazines, and there is not a Roush dealer in this area that I know of.

Thanks for the replys

------------------
Chris Thomas
1998 F-150XLT Flareside STX Sport Package, 4.6L Auto 3.55 Oxford White/Gray interior, Factory Anti-theft system
Picture: http://216.147.104.171/Y2K/members/ChrisT/christ1a.jpg
Homepage: Chris & Brandi's Universe
Mods: A.R.E. Decklid/Oxford White with gray fabric liner, K&N filter with Airbox Mod (removed silencer), Tinted Windows, GTS sloted taillight covers (painted Oxford white to match), Removed STX stickers
Audio: Kenwood Truck speakers with 10" woofers, Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Amps, Ford 10 disk CD changer
Future Mods: 3/4 Lowering Kit (Maybe 4/6 if I don't have to change tires at the same time), 20" rims and tires, True duals with Supertrap tunable mufflers, Superchip, Supercharger, Jacobs Ignition, NOS, and whatever else I can think of!!!

Quick Reply: Lowering Questions / Opinions