Broken Torsion Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broken Torsion Bar

The driver's torsion bar on my 97 5.4 Xtd Cab just broke. Only 127K and I am MAD!! (LOL!!!)

Anyway, several questions for you helpful folks.

Are there any heavy duty torsion bars out there?

How much do the stock bars cost? How much for aftermarket, if possible?

Do you have to realign the truck afterwards?

How hard are they to replace? What's the procedure?

Also, what are some recommendations for aftermarket shocks?

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2003, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes there are heavy duty torsion bars. Do a member search because there is a member from Texas who is running 39" tires and he used Chevy 3/4 ton torsion bars on his.
I wouldnt know the price of either type of torsion bar. You can either ask the member on here or one quick phone call to the parts desk at your local Ford Dealer could give you prices.
I can guarantee you'll have to have a re-alignment when you replace the torsion bars.
If you get a torsion bar puller (can be rented at many auto parts stores) you could probably do it yourself. Id only attempt this if I was VERY mechanically inclined.
As for good aftermarket shocks for a stock truck, Id try anything made by Rancho. Sears usually runs great deals on Rancho shocks. Id highly recommend the Rancho RSXs.

Old 04-19-2003, 11:49 PM
Cool Torsion Bars

superfuzz, Here's the details of what you want. Go with the Ford heavy duty bars, not Chevy! They're an exact fit and trust me on the specs, I did extensive research with Ford on this. The only heavy duty bars are Spring code 7 and they don't go in order of stiffness. A 4 is less stiff and so is an 8. The Spring code 7 was designed for the Ford F150 7700 lb GVWR snow plow package. They will raise the front GVWR to that of the F150 with a snow plow package. This is the data I have: Front will now be 4150 lbs. I've pasted a link for you to look at: www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/MVE7.PDF

The Expy and F150s that have torsion bars are all the same length. A friend of mine and one of his buddies both installed these exact same bars on their F-150s, mine are on my Expy and they're awesome. Also, if you're inclined, you can get some serious extra inches (several at least) if you crank them up with no problem of breaking. Remember, you WILL have to get the truck realigned after install and if you crank them, watch the angles on your CV axles!! They'll wear much quicker. The cost from www.fordpartsonline.com for the price of 53.00 and from the dealer, about $75 each. Here's the part numbers:
Right Side = F75Z5B326-KB, left Side = F75Z5B327-KB.
As for Shocks, you can buy 3 get one free Rancho rs9000xs from several places with free shipping. Here's a link for the best price I could find you:
www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/index.html
Set of Four RS9000X Shocks $209.85 plus free shipping!! an awesome price for great shocks! I hope this helps. Steve

Old 04-20-2003, 07:35 AM
Broken Torsion Bars

Thanks a ton for the info!!!! It's extremely helpful!

One last question: How hard is it to install them myself?

I am moderately mechanically inclined, however I don't have a puller or a press if it is needed.

Thanks again!!!

Old 04-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Cool Torsion Bars

superfuzz, There's a tool to help pull them, but I had mine done by an expert. I know there are several bubbas on this sight that have done there own, and when I watched, it wasn't difficult with the right tools. Hopefully one of them will answer you on this. I know you have to un-load the bars first, then pull them. It took my friend about an hour. Let us know how it goes, and I doubt these will ever brak on you!! Steve

Old 04-20-2003, 10:55 PM
Well thanks to my friend Steve I actually purchased those torsion bars last week and am expecting them to be delivered within the next few days . So today I got the manual out to see what was involved and it is fairly staight forward and simple you just need the special tool to take the pressure off the bars then you have to remove spring adj. bolts then the mount that bolts to the frame which I think was 6 bolt total then remove bars and reinstall. O yeah prior to removal you must mark the torsion bar adjustment bolts to put them back in the same place. If you have any skill it seems fairly simple.

Richard D.

Old 04-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Cool Torsion Bars

Richard, Keep us all posted on how the install and ride goes once you get the new bars in. Good luck! Steve

Old 04-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Cool Truck

sdiesel316, Hey I really like your truck!! It looks like ours could be cousins. Steve

Old 04-21-2003, 06:34 AM
Broken Torsion Bar

Any idea if you can get that special tool at a parts store, like a rental?

Also, are the instructions contained in a Haynes manual or do you have a Ford service manual?

Out of curiosity, why would you have to relieve the tension if the bar was already broken? I think you were indicating a replacement of an unbroken bar, am I right?

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Jon

Old 04-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I haven't tried to get the tool from a loaner place Like Autozone yet but they may have them. As for manual I have one on CD. You will have to go thru the same steps for removal no matter what becasue the bars have to come out in pairs you can not just remove one at a time due to the way they are secured at least on my truck that is how it is. So you must go thru the steps to make it all work due to having to remove the parts that actually hold the tension on the bars.

Richard D.

Old 04-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Cool Manual

Howdy Richard, How can I get a maintenance manual on CD for my 98 Expy? Thanks, Steve

Old 04-21-2003, 11:45 PM
A manual on cd, huh? Sounds cool.

Old 04-22-2003, 12:18 AM
Cool Manual on CD

I just bought one tonight on E-bay for $12, including shipping. I'll let you know how good it is once I get it.

Old 04-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Broken Torsion Bar Tool

Richard D., What's the name of the tool you need to do the job? What exactly does it do? Do you use it to remove the t-bar from the cross bar mount?

I ordered my bars and they should be in by Thursday night, hopefully!

Any more advice on how to change them out?

Thanks for the help!

Jon

Old 04-22-2003, 06:48 PM
OK I have tried everywhere to get this tool as a loaner and no one has it so here is what I have found out the problem is finding the tool to purchase it seems to be a Snap On tools thing and if you can find it you are going to have to pay at Least 150.00 or more just to buy the tool. So I decided to call a local 4x4 shop and see how much they will charge me to do the swap they told me it only takes about an hour or so ,so it will be anywhere from 60-80.00 depending on if it takes 1 hour or 1-1/2 hours he also told me it is going to be cheaper for me to bring it to him than to buy the tool. So I will more than likely head over there tomorrow assuming my bars get here today. The tools function is to relieve the pressure from the trosion bar in order to remove the adj. screw then remove the torsion bar bracket otherwise you risk breaking stuff.

Richard D.

Quick Reply: Broken Torsion Bar