Misaligned leaf spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 12:21 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Misaligned leaf spring

While under my truck working on the rear, I noticed my leaf springs are misaligned. The second spring sticks out the side from the large spring about 2 inches at the end. Has anyone else had this problem? More importantly, has anyone found a creative way to fix it? I would use an aftermarket spring clamp but am worried about binding the spring.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does that on the drivers side.

After tax season is over, heh, I'm planning on new Rancho 9000 shocks and a Roadmaster Active Suspension heavy duty system to help the springs out.

http://www.roadmasterok.com/howmain.htm

I'll admit to overloading my truck a time or two. I suppose you could realign the springs if it bothers you.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:34 PM
WLF
hapynzap, thanks for replying.

I'm more concerned with the ability of the spring to hold lateral forces. Its not the way it looks but the way it works that concerns me. If the springs are shifting, what are they doing under stress.

Old 03-04-2003, 01:48 PM
The spring on the drivers side of my rig is mis-aligned. I've also got a squeek happening went I hit a dip in the road and I'm hoping they are related although I can't reproduce the squeek by bouncing the bed.

I plan on bringing the spring and squeek up to my dealer when I bring it in next but I'm waiting for the temps around here to get above zero for a day or two so I can crawl under and take a good look myself. I hope to be able to bring it in next week and I'll let you know what the dealer says about the spring.

My rig is an 02 F150 7700 with 14K that has never been overloaded or used to any where near it's capacity.

Old 03-05-2003, 06:55 AM
Mine too was unaligned, the dealer wanted to replace the entire springs on that side. Fortunatly, they didn't have the parts in stock.

I ended up installing the Roadmaster Active Suspension. When I had that side "loose", I simply realigned the springs before I retorqued the bolts. That was one year ago and the problem hasn't returned.

Old 03-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Guys I don't remember which year, but there was a recall to fix this problem. It was basically a clip that went on the spring pack to keep them aligned.

You can just take a hammer and pount the leaf into place and devise your own clip.

-jeff b.

Old 03-05-2003, 08:25 PM
I had the shortest, thickest leaf on the driver's side turned crooked. When I put the traction bars on I loosened the U-bolts, turned it all straight, then tightened up the whole works.

The traction bar U-bolts keep them in line now so I doubt they will shift again but I do believe that they bind the springs somewhat.

BTW I think there was a recall for that condition but only on 4WD trucks.

Good luck.

Old 03-05-2003, 09:39 PM
WLF
I will try the loosening, aligning then retighten to see if it holds. It is my large, lowest spring as well. It is the same on both sides.

Quick Reply: Misaligned leaf spring