SuperCrew

Cleaning the engine... best way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning the engine... best way?

My 2001 SuperCrew has a lot of dust and grime on the engine and its surrounding compartment. I’ve thought about using “Engine Bright” degreaser but on a two-year-old vehicle, I’m not sure that’s such a great idea. Is it safe to clean this area without running into problems? If so, what should I use?

Thanks,
Jon

Old 12-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Crewd...

First off, just go to a power sprayer type car wash (you know the coin operated ones) California does have those don't they even with all the water restrictions and such? Anyways, just give it a good spray in the compartment WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING and that should take care of it.

If it doesn't, then go to the local Autozone/Pep Boys and get some Simple Green. Now, take your truck over to a high pressure car wash and with the engine dry and cool not hot (the cooler the better - i.e. not fresh off the highway) spray the Simple green on everything under the hood. Let it set for a few minutes then hit it with the sprayer. You can do this at home also but the sprayer works better....

Good Luck and don't be affraid to spray the engine... If everything is in good shape, you won't have a problem at all. I do it all the time...

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 12-07-2002, 08:50 PM
If you want to clean it and make it look better than new, try a CD-2 Engine Detailing Kit...it's a 2 can system.

1st can is a degreaser that isn't as strong of a chemical as Gunk etc. but works great After you wash off all the grime, you'll run the engine to get it dry. After the engine is dry, use the 2nd can. 2nd can is a detailer which makes everything shiny and clean looking. It also repels dust and grease. IMHO, this stuff is the cats meow.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:27 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you all are using Simple Green, do you dilute it out to a certain mix? Seems like it would be a bit 'stout' to use the concentrate.

RP

Old 12-07-2002, 11:33 PM
The simple green will be fine. You don't have to dilute it. Just be careful when you spray it not to get it on the exterior paint. It won't hurt the paint, just your wax. You can easily do this at home with your garden hose, just make sure you have the nozzle set on jet stream. I have done my personal vehicles, and friends vehicles like this many times....it works great.

Old 12-08-2002, 08:41 AM
Simple Green

Is also safe for the envrionment... We use it in the military all the time specifically for that reason. If I remember correctly, it is a bacterial based or some type of organism, that latches on to oil and breaks it down and the water helps activate it. Kind of like the stuff you see when a major spill happens, just more toned down. Now, you still need to let it set a few minutes so it soaks in to the gunk but I would be suprised if one had to use it more than twice for an engine cleaning. The first pass will get about 95% of the stuff and the other 5% will be those hard to reach and/or slightly more gummed up areas. It will break it down though...

The great thing is that it is safe on just about anything - rubber, metal, hoses, etc... and like I said, it'll just wash away... Don't use it to clean the windows though!

It sucks for that!

Later,
Chris (ReelWork)

Rock, I would've thought you'd have some stock in this stuff! LOL

Old 12-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Well thanks for the Simple Green tip. One question though... If the engine is turned off and relatively cool, shouldn't I still avoid certain parts of the engine with the water... like the alternator, block, and spark plug areas?

Trending Topics

Old 12-08-2002, 04:35 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Simple Green

Originally posted by ReelWork
Rock, I would've thought you'd have some stock in this stuff! LOL
LMAO! Nah, no stock in SimpleGreen as of yet. I do own a bottle of it, I've just never used it on anything except the tires to remove the 'grime build up' (oh yeah, and occasionally in the laundry for the VERY dirty stuff). I'm always out to find a better way to clean my truck... and, as you know Reel, I'm super particular about what I use. Thanks for the help!!

RP

Quick Reply: Cleaning the engine... best way?