SuperCrew

General questions about mods and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General question about mods and warranties

I've enjoyed reading and learned alot about the many "mods" that can be done to our Screws. One question lingers though...
Aside from cosmetic changes like acetoning badges, how do major mods like air intakes, lifts, new exhaust, etc. affect the 36/30k , drivetrain and emissions warranties?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mgarcia1; 11-08-2002 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:16 AM
Ford Warranty Coverage It's pretty self-explanatory.

You basically void the Ford warranty of any part that you change and any part directly associated with that part, if a problem should develop. A cat-back exhaust voids your exhaust warranty but not necessarily the cat-converter warranty. You do need to be careful though. If your after market exhaust drops the back-pressure enough that spent fuel cannot leave the combustion chamber efficiently and you burn your valves, this would be your fault, not Ford's.

It comes down to common sense. There are dealers that will try to void your entire waranty over a K&N air filter. But, that's not legal and they can't really get away with it.

Superchargers....10" suspension lifts with 37" tires...These are things to consider waiting on if you want to keep your factory warranty valid.

Last edited by AjRagno; 11-08-2002 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:40 PM
I agree with all that AjRagno wrote, with the exception of the cat-back exhaust. There are still two catalytic converters in the exhaust system which provide plenty of back pressure all by themselves. There should be no danger of burning a valve if you leave the cats intact.

On my '99 I had, I ran cat back duals for over 2 years and had no valve problems at all.

Quick Reply: General questions about mods and warranty