SuperCrew

Paint problem on hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Paint problem on hood

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but on my hood and just the hood, the paint seems to be very powdery feeling. I tried some wax, and it didn't help. Tried some clearcoat cleaner and that didn't help.

It almost seems as if the paint is going bad. Again no where else is it like this just the hood. I know that the hood on the SCREW is aluminum so I was wondering if there are known issues with the paint on the hood?

I will be taking this one to the dealer, this is the only time I will have had to go to the dealer for anything...

Old 11-03-2002, 05:16 PM
When you say powdery, what do you mean? Frequently, surface contaminants can accumulate on painted surfaces. These contaminants are generally of two types - small rust particulates (sp), or paint overspray. The rust particles come from any number of sources such as industrial plant effluant, or even exhaust pipes of vehicles in the area. Paint overspray can be caused by someone painting a building or structure in the area with a spray painting system. Small particles of paint float off on the wind and then land on your vehicle where they dry and stick. You would be able to see this type of paint overspray on the glass or the black trim around the doors.

Removal of these types of surface contaminants is best done by someone who specializes in this type of work. For rust particles the recommended manner of removal is a bath in a light acidic product which degrades the rust which holds the particle to the paint. Paint overspray usually comes off with a clay bar, and a polish. I would strongly discourage you from allowing the dealership to attempt to remove the stuff with an orbital buffer, as this will also remove much more of your paint than is needed.

Old 11-03-2002, 11:32 PM
Well I don't think it is any of those, I can't think of any paint overspray or industrial stuff that has been anywhere near where I park my truck. I live in a quiet neiborhood during the day and work in a office only area no where near industrial stuff.

The paint looks like there is a black sort of spoting in it. Almost as if dirt got on it, then it rained and it stuck there. Hard to see unless you look right at it. Then when you rub your hand over the hood it feels like dust coming off of it, but it never goes away.

Monday I will get an appointment with the dealer and I hope that they won't just tell me oh well. Only have 26,000 miles on it and a little over a year, the paint shouldn't have any issues at this point.

Old 11-04-2002, 06:50 AM
A clay bar may take that off.
I clayed my old car, after owning it for 5 months, and I was shocked all the contaminants that were imbedded in the paint.
HTH

Old 11-04-2002, 11:42 AM
I have heard of that, is it a special clay? Where can you get it?

Old 11-05-2002, 12:23 AM
I used Meguiar's on my car.
You can also use Mothers. It's really easy, just follow the directions, and you'll do fine.

Quick Reply: Paint problem on hood