SuperCrew

Hitch Drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hitch Drop

I am putting an aftermarket hitch on my Screw. What is the correct drop that I need for ball mount? Standard Screw, standard suspension. How high off the ground should the top of the ball be?

Thanks!!!

Old 09-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockinport,

To me, the correct height would depend on what you are hauling. A utility trailer, for example, may have 13" or 15" wheels and who knows what size tires. Or, you may be hauling one of those enclosed trailers like a U-haul pull behind. All of these present a variable. Also, are you driving a 4x2 or a 4x4? The height of your bumper will also vary here. If I were you, I would mount my recevier hitch, back up to the trailer (if you have one in your back yard you are going to pull regularly) then get out the ol' measuring tape. I don't know if you can find a simple answer to your question. Maybe someone else can help. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2002, 07:39 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If you are towing primarily only one thing then you can save some money and just measure from the ground to the tongue when you have the trailer level the way you want it. Then you'll know how high the ball should be in relation to your hitch.

If you will be towing different applications, a little trailer will usually have a low ball and a big trailer a high ball. For this an adjustable drawbar is best. They cost more but, if what you tow varies it is money well spent.

The goal is a level trailer and where the ball is located is the whole ballgame.

Quick Reply: Hitch Drop