SuperCrew

Tranny Temp Guage Install ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Temp Guage Install ???'s

Hey Guys,

I am looking into maybe adding a tranny temp gauge to my 5.4 SCrew and wanted to see what others that have come before me have found. I am looking at only doing one gauge so I would want an Autmoeter single gauge pod, one gauge and all the necessary hardware (T-fittings, wire, loom, etc..)

Can anyone give me a breakdown with part numbers and price? I am sure somebody out there has already done the homework and all on this!

Thanks for the help,

Chris (ReelWork)

Oh yeah, only an electrical guage, not a mechanical one - at least not in the cab...

Old 09-10-2002, 11:12 AM
Old 09-10-2002, 05:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First off, let me clarify something it appears you may be confused about. Mechanical temp gauges DO NOT introduce fluids or anything hot into the cab. It is a capillary tubing filled with ether (or some other inert gas) gas that expands when the temp bulb at the end is heated by the fluid. The expansion of this gas caused the reading on the gauge. There is NO DANGER or fluids to the gauge or in the cab. Only pressure gagues have fluid flowing to the gauge. About the only mechanical gauge you would not want to use is a fuel pressure gauge. Another point...Mechanical gauges are more accurate and quicker responding than electrical gauges. That's not my opinion neither. That's a fact. You can even call Autometer and they will provide the percentage of innaccuracy in each type. It's not a huge difference but none the less. Electrical gauges are a little easier to install as mechanical temp gauges have that capillary tubing you have to run but it's not a real big deal. The only decision to make would be which one do you like the looks of the best?? Mechanical gauges usually have a full sweep face where as electrical ones do not. Go to Autometer and shop around for pillars or gague mounts. Lot's of options. You will also need a Autometer manifold #2287 on the attached paige to install the temp probe in the line running to the radiator. I also included a link that has alot of good info between the two gauges. Hope this has helped. BTW, here's mine and they are both mechanical. Piece of cake to install.
http://www.autometer.com/hp/index.html
http://www.autometer.com/hp/index.html http://www.autometer.com/hp/index.html
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Hey Gallaxy nice pics in your gallery!

I really like those tires. But I have the 17" wheels on my SCREW and do not want a lift. Does BFG make mudders the will fit on a 17" rim (7.5" wide) without a lift (I will be doing a torsin bar front end lift soon). The Procomps 17" (33" diamerter I belive) fits as many other 4x4 SCREW owners have them. I didn't know if the BFG tires had a similar size as I understand they wear a little better and are not quite as loud.

Please give me your opinion on the BFG Mudders and tell me if they have a tire like that, that would fit my 17" wheels.

I have briefly looked on there site but did not see any tires that looked like they would fit. I really like my 17" wheels and really can't afford to shell out for 4 new ones...

Old 09-11-2002, 09:07 AM
Thanks Galaxy...

I have been looking around at the Autometer site (You're links aren't working though) but I can't find a single pod pillar replacement. I know I can go with the cheesy looking snap-on thing and I have seen the steering column mount which looks good but I think that might be too much bulk to sit on the column and may block some of the dash gauges.. Basically, too cluttered. So tell me, the mech. gauge is runs no risk of leaking, huh? You say it has an inert gas, is that inside the gauge itself or do you have to be especially careful when running the tubing so as not cause any damage - well, I guess you'd have to be just as careful as anything else... Sorry, kind of thinking as I am typing - typing out loud..

So the mechanical is basically one tube for the sending unit and a wire for the dash lights - right?

So to recap -

Basically, I only want the one tranny gauge in addition to the factory gauges. I'd like to find a full on pillar replacement that allows me to keep the grab handle and still retain a clean look which means only one gauge and I personally don't like that snap-on one. If I must, I could go with a dual pod but I don't know what I would put in the second pod... A clock!

Thanks!
Chris (ReelWork)

Old 09-11-2002, 11:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Reelwork,
Hey, a clocks not a bad idea for the second gauge. No wires neither. You are not going to find a full pillar replacement single gague pod, nor one that keeps the grab handle. Sorry, just that no one makes that. Sorry the links didn't work, just go to autometer.com and shop around. You are correct...Mechanical temp gauges run NO chance of leaking (unless you cut the tubing, but still no fluid, just the little bit of gas that's in it. There tough though, so don't sweat it). Those tubings are really flexible too. You don't have to be super gentle with them. The only thing you really have to avoid is kinking them, that's it. And yes, two wires for the light. The gas is just in the tubing, not filling up the gauge also. The gas just operates the mechanism that moves the needle.

dcovell,
Yes, BFG makes the new Mud T/A in a 285/70 17 which is basically a 33" tire. Just a tad narrower than my 305's (and the Pro Comps) also. Not alot of difference. Should work nice on your wheels. FYI, I do not have a lift on my truck, just cranked up the torsion bars. I love these tires. Don't know how many miles I'll get out of them but for as good as they look...who cares?? They are not near as loud as you would think they would be neither. I don't even notice them.

Old 09-11-2002, 11:39 AM
Galaxy..

Thanks for the reply! I think I will go with the mechanical then... I figured there weren't any single pod replacements so I now have to decide if I want the one that looks semi-cheap or the two that look good and put a clock or something in the extra place.

Yeah, I have been hanging at the autometer site pretty reqularly the past week or so!

Thanks,

Chris (ReelWork)

Quick Reply: Tranny Temp Guage Install ???'s