SuperCrew

Painting bugshield for my Screw

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting bugshield for my Screw

Just got a clear bugshield from Lund and I want to make it match the color of the truck. On another site there was a tech article on how to install one and they used 3M ScotchCal High Performance Films matched to the color of the truck. Anyone know where I can get it.

Or could I use touch-up paint in spray cans?

Pete

Old 09-09-2002, 11:26 PM
What are you talking about Take that Bugshield to a body shop and let them spray it, they can match the paint perfect

Old 09-10-2002, 06:41 PM
just go down to the parts store and get the dupli color rattle can in your color. Tape off the front of the bugshield and scuff the back side. Put on 3-4 coats of color, then a couple coats of clear.. Ive done dozens of them that way and never a complaint. Cost: $8 and an hour.. Or take it to a body shop like Madd said and pay $100.

Old 09-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Thats the answer I was lookin for. I don't pay people for things I can do myself. I wouldn't be real proud of something I didn't do myself. And if its screwed up you can't blame anybody but yourself. Thanks one50npump.

Pete

Old 09-10-2002, 09:21 PM
If you screw it up or it looks like sh&t your out of $60 or $70. Those cans of paint do not match. $100 bucks to paint a bug shield? What rip off body shop are people using. Mine is perfect! Matches perfect. Do yourself a favor and do not scuff up the backside. Read the directions if you plan on doing it yourself.Scuffing is a no,no.... If my body shop screwed up my bugshield they would buy me a new one till they got it right. I am a fanatic,thats why the body shop painted it perfect, color matched. It's your truck.........Do what you want

Last edited by Madd; 09-10-2002 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:23 PM
Ever wonder why someone painted "dozens of them"? Makes you wonder right?

Old 09-12-2002, 07:34 AM
re: painting

The shop I bought my shield from had a bodyshop they worked with. I bought the shield painted to match my truck, and installed for ~$100. Not bad...all I had to do was show up and they put it on in 20 minutes.

-jeff b.

Trending Topics

Old 09-12-2002, 10:34 AM
If you want a color that matches, order your paint from www.paintscratch.com . I get all my paint from them, and they will put flex agent in the paint too, so if going on plastic it won't chip or flake. My bugshield was done this way. I painted it myself and it matches perfectly. There are pictures in my gallery.

Old 09-12-2002, 10:41 AM
I bought a aero shield last spring in a smoked color. I think it was a lund. Anyway I lightly scuffed the Front surface and painted it with a two-tone paint kit. Depending on the light, it changes from a gold to a magenta color. On my torreador red s'crew it looks nice. I had to paint the front because the dark tint wouldn't have let the light through to the paint. It took about three days total to paint. I think it took four coats of the base, six of the color and five of the clear. The drying and sanding time is what streched the process out. The local aftermarket guys have the same shield for over $100, I bought the kit at one of the kmarts that was closing for under $10. Add that to the new shield I bought at a swap meet for $22 and for $32 and some time I have a great looking bug deflector.

Old 09-12-2002, 10:32 PM
I've painted dozens of them because I own a car wash and we also sell accesories, pin striping, etc. Done "dozens" for customers that I still see every week when they come back to wash their vehicles. The one on the wifes SUV gets washed at least 4-5 times a week at about 1400 psi with not a problem.. Incase you are still wondering MADD.

Quick Reply: Painting bugshield for my Screw